Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Gray
United States
Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
markhu added a link in the game description to Hive, saying it is a similar game. I've played both, and other than that they both have wooden pieces (in the older Hive version), I don't see much similarity. But, it's been a few years since I played Hive, so I wanted to check if anyone else thought it was similar, or give Mark a chance to point out what similarity I may have missed before I edit the description back.

So, are Dragons of Kir and Hive sufficiently similar to warrant a link?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
No

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hudson
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, they are both 2-person abstracts, and I think the mechanic is similar: somewhat like chess, I think is the shortest way to describe it.

I thought the wiki-fication of the game descriptions was exactly for this sort of thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gray
United States
Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
markhu wrote:
Well, they are both 2-person abstracts, and I think the mechanic is similar: somewhat like chess, I think is the shortest way to describe it.

You'll have to spell it out for me then, because I don't see it. Hive certainly has some similarities with chess, but not a lot more so than any of dozens of other 2-player abstracts. But, I see few similarities between Dragons of Kir and Chess, beyond the fact that they are played on an 8x8 board.

In Chess, each player controls a set of pieces which they move around and capture other pieces with. In Dragons of Kir, once a piece is on the board it is controlled by neither player, the movement is entirely "autonomous" and not player-controlled and there is no capture.

Quote:

I thought the wiki-fication of the game descriptions was exactly for this sort of thing.

Yes, for example the link between this game and Darter. For that matter, the similarities between this game and "Marvin Marvel's Marvelous Marble Machine" might be enough to warrant a link, but I and others I've asked fail to see any particular connection between this game and Hive.

It's worth noting that the links in game descriptions are not for games who's similarity is very broad. They are both 2-player abstracts, which is captured in the game information already (2 players, Abstract Strategy category), but hundreds of games are similar at this level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.