Popular Tags: [View All]
James Nelson
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hello Everybody -

Ok, this thread isn't about politics or religion as some of my other heated threads have been. I need some marketing advice regarding the best and relatively inexpensive internet marketing methods to promote some websites that I have been laboring on for the past few months.

I already know how Google Adsense works, but pay-per-click can get very expensive if there are folks abusing the system. I have added the websites to a couple of Free Advertising websites, but its still too early to see how they will work. I also have paid for 3 months of cable tv advertising in the Memphis and North Mississippi markets (reaching about 190,000 households).

Do any of you have websites? And, How do you promote them?

I have (now) a monthly marketing budget of $1500.00 - since I won 3 Texas Hold'em Poker Tournaments in the past month. I hope to increase the budget at the end of next month, if I do well in the next 3 tournaments that I will be playing in in November.

Any help would be great and if it works I will reward you some GG in the future.

Thanks for any help that you provide in advance!

James (nventit)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha. Funny stuff. Using poker winnings to sell a toe nail fungus remedy. When are you going public? I want in on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Bohrer
United States
Hereford
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
James, I have a sneaking suspicion that you asking for marketing advice is like you asking for advice on kid's game design. That said, here's my own experience FWIW:

I've run two sales websites; one marketing training software for firefighters, the other my wife's site marketing t-shirts for female emergency responders.

In the first case, I spent about eight thousand dollars for trade magazine advertising and three for high-traffic banner ads in the first year. I also joined several banner exchanges and set up affiliation agreements with the three highest-volume fire service websites. So far, my sales sources are about as follows:

Google searches about ten percent
Sales via retailers about eighty percent
Banner exchanges about eight percent
Affiliates about two percent

And I'm still dealing with the ad bills. How much they contributed to the rest of the sales, who knows? I also sent out newsletter for about six months without one direct sale, and sent out postcards, again, without direct result. Ditto a three-month Adwords/Overture campaign.

My wife's site, we advertised via Adwords and Overture just for its first three months, then cancelled. Again, no direct sales, but the idea was to get word out; we were more after buying banners than clicks. We're also running it on three different banner exchanges. Other than that, no advertising. It's a Cafepress site, so we get about 40% of our $1500.00 gross a month from thier internal search; about 10 percent from banner exchange clicks; about ten percent from direct links or bookmarks; and about 40 percent from Google searches.

Hope this helps a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Nelson
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Geoff Bohrer -

Wow...That's really interesting and informative stuff. I suspected that Adwords would not generate any sales/advertising revenue, but I didn't realize that sending out a newsletter didn't result in any direct sales in your case and most likely in case case either.

I was planning to produce a bi-monthly newsletter containing useful tips on everything from fishing to building an electro-magnetic engine (something that I have built in the past in an attempt to build a independent powerstation for houses), but now I may have to rethink my plans a bit. See, I am not really selling anything (no actual product, but rather hoping that I can create enough original content to attract folks to my website and maybe they will visit a sponsor if they were interested).

Because, I don't want to shill in on this thread I will not list the website that I am talking about here. However, this website is my personal pet project to share with the world many of the ideas that I have worked on or discovered over the years. There is no way that I will be able to manufacture them all and I decided that I just didn't want to shelf them especially after all of my hardwork.

What I don't add to this website will spill over to my other websites. I have designed and/or discovered hundreds of ideas in the past 20-plus years. Many of which other people can build for their own use as long as they have the instructions to build them. The one bad thing is that this website will be limited to 7-pages, but my other websites will have several hundred-pages and will contain a lot more ideas that folks can build or make for themself.

So, bottomline my intention is to generate traffic, because the more eyeballs skimming the pages, then the better chance that some will visit sponsors. Currently, the sponsor links vs. content is about 5%/95% - 5 percent sponsor links and 95 percent content. Afterall, folks visits websites like this one for information and not to surf sponsor links.

Currently, I am running adverts on local cable for the next 3-months and I have a radio spot airing on Rock-103 FM next month. I don't know how either will do until it has a month or longer out there. I tried advertising in the biggest newspaper in our area, but it was very expensive and did not generate much traffic, so I will avoid this route for awhile.

Quote:
James, I have a sneaking suspicion that you asking for marketing advice is like you asking for advice on kid's game design.

Well, marketing a game is a bit of a different story, because for my company - we sell to retailers, wholesalers and distributors and the marketing methods are pretty direct (tradeshows, trade magazines, sales kits and so on). I have been in the game business for a very long time and have hundreds of contacts worldwide to help me get the word out there. I could help others learn what I know in the game business in about 24 / 5 hour sessions. However, they will still to have product that folks wants to buy.

Regarding internet marketing a website is an area that is very confusing at least for me. Especially, since my websites really do not sell anything and they are not those social websites such as myspace or youtube. They are for the most part informational websites, but I am currently working on releasing several print and play game version of games that I originally was planning to manufacture, but now I have scrapped that idea as I am going into the final phase to close GameStar Designs in order to start my new technology design company.

My goal has always been to design stuff that people want or will make life easier or more exciting. The money side of the business wasn't never an issue until I sought investors. Over the years, the game business wasn't any fun anymore, because the issue had shifted from designing great products to we have to make money no matter what. The pressure to produce new products overshadowed my original passion for being an inventor. This time around things will be much different as I am in full control of things.

Anyway...I really do thank you for all of your great insight and information...some gg com'in your way. Good luck and much sucess with your businesses.

Send me a link to your websites and I will work them in to my websites and content that I will be working on. It won't cost you a thing and it may generate a little bit more traffic for your sites.

James (nventit)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Nelson
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
pronoblem -

Quote:
Ha. Funny stuff. Using poker winnings to sell a toe nail fungus remedy. When are you going public? I want in on this.

Hehe...just realized what your are getting at.

I have 3 more poker tournaments coming up next month and if I don't get eliminated early I will have a few more thousand of dollars to use to promote my websites and the toe nail fungus remedy.

Wish me luck, because I will need it after getting my butt handed to me in the LPC (League Poker Challenge) tournaments last night. I got one good hand dealt to me all night (full house) and lost to a stronger full house. I could not attempt a bluff, because there was a very loose player calling everything all night and he was on fire...just couldn't be beat hand after hand. He won both tournaments - knocking out 9 ranked players (including me) during the tournaments. I have to play him again next month, so I hope that the next time around the cards will be better for me and I can level him in the later rounds.

Oh, I see that you ranked Smear a 2...but, no hard feelings - I take it that you like more involved games....cool.

James (nventit)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Nelson
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Brian Waters -

Thanks for your imput as I am trying radio next month, but the thing that I understand about radio - is that a catchy slogan is really needed to be successful.

Something like "Get your ass to Rapid Glass" is what is need to be successful in the radio market. Somethin really easy to remember and just stupid enough to catch your attention. Since many folks listen to the radio while driving...the slogan needs to incorporate the website address, so that folks will not have to write it down - they'll just remember it.

Thanks for your imput and some gg com'in your way, too.

James (nventit)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.