Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gregory Scott
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If your Sherman is knocked out, crew can potentially be wounded three times: once for the original attack that knocked you out, another as a result of a successful bail out, and one more if they try to free a trapped buddy. Do these wounds stack or do more serious wounds replace lighter ones? For example, if I roll 2 X Light Wound out one week, is the crew member out of action for two weeks instead of just one? They might also have been previously wounded from collateral damage.

My guess would be that the crew member ends up with the worst of any of the wound rolls suffered during the day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin David Bliss
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting question.

IMHO the wounds stack as multiple wounds but not as additional time out of action. I.E. If a wound takes one week to "heal", then two 1 week wounds still take 1 week to heal ( both are treated and heal simultaneously).

Likewise, if a crew member suffers say a 4 week wound and a 2 week wound, then the crew member is out for 4 weeks total.

Note that the rules do not specify what happens here, so exactly what happens is really up to you...

Whilst here, I note that if a crewman is seriouly wounded whilst attempting a rescue, no comment is made in the rules as to what happens to him ! There seems to be a presumption here ( IMHO ) that the seriously wounded "rescuer" is himself rescued by someone and is not killed if the tank burns...

How do players deal with this ( 7.0 - 8.5 % chance for non Wet Stowage tanks ) situation ?

[ NB : Rescue attempts ( per the rules ) are only for crew trapped inside the tank ! ]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin David Bliss
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DEB8 wrote:

IMHO the wounds stack as multiple wounds but not as additional time out of action. I.E. If a wound takes one week to "heal", then two 1 week wounds still take 1 week to heal ( both are treated and heal simultaneously).

Likewise, if a crew member suffers say a 4 week wound and a 2 week wound, then the crew member is out for 4 weeks total.

Note that the rules do not specify what happens here, so exactly what happens is really up to you...

The rule book could use a note at the end of 19.33 along the lines of : "Wounds are NOT cumulative re weeks out of action. Apply longest time period out only."

Quote:
Whilst here, I note that if a crewman is seriouly wounded whilst attempting a rescue, no comment is made in the rules as to what happens to him ! There seems to be a presumption here ( IMHO ) that the seriously wounded "rescuer" is himself rescued by someone and is not killed if the tank burns...

How do players deal with this ( 7.0 - 8.5 % chance for non Wet Stowage tanks ) situation ?

After a little thought I have come up with the following suggustion :

"A seriously wounded rescuer (applies to the "Sent Home" effect serious wound only ), has a 25% chance ( 76-100 ) of burning at 19.15. Note burnt men are lost permanently ( dead or alive )."

[ Therefore, if the serious wound result was "out 1D weeks", then no die roll is made. The "rescuer" is able to get himself away from a burning tank ( presuming that he ever got to it ).

However, if the serious wound result was "Sent Home", then a die roll is made ( to determine if the "rescuer" gets to the Tank before being hit ). On 1-75 he gets hit before he gets to the Tank and avoids being burnt if the Tank "brews up". On 76-100 he gets to the Tank before he is hit and is burnt ( lost permanently ) if the Tank "brews up" !!

This creats an approximate 8.75% to 10.0% chance of losing any rescuer who is seriouly injured in the rescue attempt. NB: The Percentage quoted here presumes any "brew up" is caused by Gunfire and that Wet Stowage does not apply. ]

On a slightly different note :

The rules ( 19.14 ), infer that any light wound suffered by a rescuer is ignored for rescue purposes. This therefore deems that if the light wound leaves the rescuer incapacitated, the incapacity takes effect after the said rescue...

[ 19.22 specifies that incapacitated crew cannot perform "Crew Actions" and 19.14 therefore also infers that a "rescue" is not a "Crew Action" ( which concurs with the specifications re "Crew actions" under 8.0 CREW ACTIONS ). However, this does NOT mean that any incapacited crew can do "rescues"; only that any incapacity caused by a light wound during a rescue attempt is deemed to occur after the said rescue. Note that any serious wound ( under 19.14 ) is however, deemed to occur before any such rescue. Go figure !!! ]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Scott
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the idea of applying "Wounds are NOT cumulative re weeks out of action. Apply longest time period out only." Otherwise you can get into a death spiral of multiple wounds.

For the rest of it I'll have to think on it a bit more, but thanks for the thoughts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin David Bliss
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DEB8 wrote:

"A seriously wounded rescuer (applies to the "Sent Home" effect serious wound only ), has a 25% chance ( 76-100 ) of burning at 19.15.
Note burnt men are lost permanently ( dead or alive )."

The 25% figure here is a very rough estimate of the risk. If anyone can provide a reasonable view on a different figure, then I would like to hear / see it...

[ IMHO the "risk" here should be not more than 33% ( 68-100 ), and no less than 10% ( 91-100 ). NB : Obviously the final risk here is somewhat less due to the other die rolls ; 33% = 11.55% - 13.20% and 10% = 3.5% - 4.0%. ]

Note that the risk to a rescuer who is seriously wounded, per the printed rules, is 0% ( zero ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Spak
United States
Spencer
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
as I remember, If a crew member is knocked out for any length of time - that guy is incapacitated, and is ineligible for further wounds (can't bail out, can't rescue). Unless of course the tank brews-up without being rescued by somebody who is not incapacitated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin David Bliss
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oldbrownsfan wrote:
as I remember, If a crew member is knocked out for any length of time - that guy is incapacitated, and is ineligible for further wounds (can't bail out, can't rescue). Unless of course the tank brews-up without being rescued by somebody who is not incapacitated.

This "appears" correct ( although I am unsure what is implied by the "for any length of time" part ).

Note however, that the knocked out referred to ( twice ), in the original question, was the knocking out of the Tank and not a crew member...

[ NB : A "knocked out" ( unconcious ) crew member is only "temporarily" incapacitated ( for a few battlerounds ). He could be wounded after recovering consciousness as he is only ineligible during unconciousness. ]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin David Bliss
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Whilst reviewing the above, I have noted another rules "omission".

19.21 needs the following added : "Exception : Unconcious."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.