Subject: How to get a complete game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Prizzi
United States
West Newton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello, I'm interested in Wings of War. It looks like a very fun and easy to teach game. From the comments here on BGG Famous Aces sounds like the set to get as a "starter". I read the Famous Aces rules last night and do have a couple concerns that the game is "incomplete".

1. It says "Notice that some plane cards have letters different from the "damage" deck included in the box: those are additional cards to be used if you own the other boxes in this collection"

How many of the planes in Famous Aces don't have the damage decks needed to use them without buying anything else? How many planes are you able to use with just this set?

2. 4 out of the 6 scenarios provided in the Famous Aces rules require "Watch Your Back" to play them.

I like the fact that each of the "main" Wings of War sets (Famous Aces, Watch Your Back, Burning Drachens) have everything you need to play on their own, but at the same time it feels like a little bit of a stretch to call them "complete games" when they come with planes and scenarios that are useless unless you buy other sets.

If the game is a hit, I'll probably end up with all 3 sets and the boosters, but I'm a reluctant to buy more than one set in the intial purchase without ever having played before.

So here are my questions:

1. Is Famous Aces the place to start? I'll usually be playing with 2 players but would definitley need the ability to play up to 4 ot 5. I'd like to be able to support even more players on occassion (8-10) but would guess I'd need more than one set for that.

2. If I buy Famous Aces, what other sets do I need to buy to get the damage decks to use all the planes in Famous Aces? Once I get that set(s) will I then have other planes I can't use without a 3rd set?

3. How do the boosters fit in? Can I make a "complete" game with famous aces and one of the boosters?

Thanks for the help. I know all this info is already out here on BGG but with posts spread across the forums for the different sets, it's a bit confusing trying to get it all straight. The game looks great- fun and easy to teach. The most difficult part seems to be figuring out how to buy it.

I know this is all marketing, but I really don't like having game bits that are useless without spending more money (like in Heroscape where the T-Rex in the base set can't use all his powers unless you buy the orcs expansion).

Thanks for the help and happy gaming to all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I've never seen a flying hogfish. I saw one gliding once, but never flying, not actually flying.
United Kingdom
Tyne & Wear
Tyne & Wear
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hi, Dan, I'm going to try and answer these off the top of my head, as my sets are in another house right now, I'm sure Andrea or someone else will correct me if I go wrong...

1. Is Famous Aces the place to start? I'll usually be playing with 2 players but would definitley need the ability to play up to 4 ot 5. I'd like to be able to support even more players on occassion (8-10) but would guess I'd need more than one set for that.

Yup, FA is the place to start - it offers the best combination of planes for dogfighting. The other sets can be played on their own, and each offers new features, but as a single set to get you up and running, FA is the one.

2. If I buy Famous Aces, what other sets do I need to buy to get the damage decks to use all the planes in Famous Aces? Once I get that set(s) will I then have other planes I can't use without a 3rd set?

There are only a few planes in FA that use the 'B' damage deck. You can get this with Watch Your Back, or you can adopt the workaround of 'take an A damage card and half the number (with 1 still being 1)', that Andrea suggested way back. As I understand it, A damage deck is for twin machine guns, B deck is for singles, so the logic works.

With FA and WYB, you can use all the planes in those two sets - no need to get Burning Drachens, but I'd be willing to bet you'd be up for the idea of taking down a balloon or two!

3. How do the boosters fit in? Can I make a "complete" game with famous aces and one of the boosters?

Booster wise, I've only just opened mine, so I can't offer too much - sorry for that - though I think they come with the appropriate maneouvre decks, so they should be good to go. My opinion would be to go for WYB next, then think about whether you want more planes (the boosters), or balloons and ground units (BD) - although BD does contain some planes also!

Thanks for the help. I know all this info is already out here on BGG but with posts spread across the forums for the different sets, it's a bit confusing trying to get it all straight. The game looks great- fun and easy to teach. The most difficult part seems to be figuring out how to buy it.

No sweat, hope you enjoy it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

Informations are scattered on BGG, but David gave a perfect answer. And ayway there is also a FAQ answering part of your questions (plus several others), both here
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/19743
and downloadable at FFG:
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/wingsofwarsupport.html

Out of 22 planes in "Famous Aces"
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/26697
19 can be used with the A damage deck included in the box. Only three of the four Sopwith Triplanes require the B deck or the optional rules, but you do not really need to use them - if you want to taste a Sopwith Triplane better to use the one with two machineguns.

You can not get a "complete" game in the sense of damage decks with boosters since the boosters have maneuvre decks and airplanes, not (for the moment) damage decks.

With "Famous Aces" and the "Recon Patrol" booster you can fly 5 fighters and 1 two seater (there is one firing A/A). You'll also find several cards firing at B, sorry for that.

With "Famous Aces" and a "Top Fighters" booster you can fly 6 fighters. The two in the booster (D.VII and Snipe) are better than the others, but anyway they are one German and one Allied so team balance is perfect anyway. "Top Fighters" has only A-firing planes, no more B-firing cards.

True that FA is mainly meant for dogfights scenarios only, but they are the most "eternal" ones". Here on BGG you can find additional scenarios (like "Catch the train!") to be played with FA only. Anyway, to taste a two-seater adapting the WyB! scenarios to FA you can adapt a B deck to the promotional Ufag in FA:
http://www.wingsofwar.it/read.asp?id=1302

It fires B/B, but either use the house rule of halving the A cards or just pretend it is an A/A.

Have fun!

Andrea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Malme
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With Famous Aces currently unavailable (at least in the UK), I thought I would invest in a copy each of Watch Your Back and Burning Drachens.

This yielded the following decks

Watch Your Back

E Maneuver
F Maneuver
G Maneuver
H Maneuver

B Damage

Burning Drachens

I Maneuver
J Maneuver

A Damage
C Damage (Anti-Aircraft)
D Damage (Rockets)

This gave me both the A and B damage decks, multiple maneuver decks, and a good selection of aircraft to use them. Together with the barrage balloons, it seems to be more than sufficient to get me started.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Heinzmann
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There are lots of ideas on how to play on our WoW Yahoo group.

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/wow_nexus/?yguid=6055744...
also here in the BGG files section, there are sheets to write down your moves that way you can share movement cards. this is an awesome easy to play game, when playing 2 player I like to give each player two planes (wingman) it's more fun to me and then it doesn't end up being a turn and burn fest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.