Subject: Need advice for war-related strategy game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael R
France
Paris
flag msg tools
Hey Guys!
I started purchasing/playing boardgames a couple of months ago with my gf.
All purchases I made so far were games more or less recommended for two players:
Legends of Andor
Jaipur
Forbidden Island
Agricola
Istanbul
Hive

Additionally, yesterday I purchased Small World + two expansions from a local seller and I am still waiting on the delivery.

When we played a game of Junta with some friends a few days ago, we found out that we really love the mechanic when playing a coup/revolt (in german it was "Putsch") - it reminded me of the game Risk.

After some research, I came across Memoir '44 and Twilight Struggle.
I love the theme and the political/historical setting in which you can probably get deeply involved while playing these two games.
I am hesitating to buy Twilight Struggle, simply because the duration of one game is intimitating and Memoir '44 with a couple of expansions is pretty expensive.

I was wondering - and that's where i need the help of your expertise boardgamegeekers - if there are other games that use the same mechanic in preferrably war-related scenario that also play well for two players. Of course they can be cooperative games as well!
Or would your recommend one of my two suggested games?

Excuse my bad English, and thanks in advance for your recommendations and comments!

Cheers,
Scheuche

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingmaker

Diplomacy

History of the world

Are all games with elements of politics (or diplomacy) and war.

I think these are all still (moderately) easy to get hold off. There are others long since out of print.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm unclear what mechanic you really mean here. You mention coups and the likes, which would make Diplomacy and it's ilk make sense, but I don't see how that gets you to Memoir 44.

Struggle of Empires might be a good fit as a Diplomacy like game without the potential friendship ending nastiness, it also has a reimp due out soon in English in various places - Age of Reason

If you're looking at Memoir, you might also like the look of 1775: Rebellion, as it's a similar weight, but witha very different visual feel and more Risk-like in it's *vague* description. Far better than Risk though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG!

Memoir '44 is a good option.

If you're interested in other periods of history, these games use the same basic Commands & Colors system:

Commands & Colors: Ancients

Commands & Colors: Napoleonics

Battle Cry

Battle Cry: 150th Civil War Anniversary Edition

...and take a look at BattleLore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Command and Colors Ancients
+1 Battle Cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Parker
Australia
Elanora Heights
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try the Battlelore iPad app. You need a pretty recent ipad or it'll eat all your battery. If you can run it and afford it, it'll give you a good flavour if the gameplay is for you. Its memoir 44 with a few tweaked rules, a fantasy setting.

Sure you gf likes the war stuff? Most women I know don't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps Alea Iacta Est; it is a two-player strategic war game set in the last years of the Roman Republic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Blackwell
United States
Queens
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Cuba Libre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
bygberbrown wrote:
Try the Battlelore iPad app.

i think he would be better off trying Memoir 44 Online. it's the actual game he's interested in and he can play at least a dozen games for free.
http://www.daysofwonder.com/memoir44-online/en/start/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely take a look at Quartermaster General.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.