Popular Tags: [View All]
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb

We really could do without the warble fly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This really is a fantastic monologue. I 100% agree with Mr Fry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, the Problem Of Evil but for two minutes. Well spoken, I'll give him that.

DrWhoWho may be gone, but his spirit lives on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, Vanity. My favorite sin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Henry
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
“Try to exclude the possibility of suffering which the order of nature and the existence of free-wills involve, and you find that you have excluded life itself.”
― C.S. Lewis, The Problem of Pain
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Ah, Vanity. My favorite sin.
Pffft. Lust, gluttony, and sloth are the best, especially when concatenated over a Sunday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
Meaningless means there's a strong limit to how much I can mess up!
badge
This overtext is not in use.
mbmbmbmbmb
Erik17 wrote:
“Try to exclude the possibility of suffering which the order of nature and the existence of free-wills involve, and you find that you have excluded life itself.”

Which would be a good counter-argument, if you weren't talking about the guy who supposedly designed life that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Henry
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Dolphinandrew wrote:
Erik17 wrote:

Which would be a good counter-argument, if you weren't talking about the guy who supposedly designed life that way.

So he should have created a world in which mutually exclusive things were possible?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Erik17 wrote:
Dolphinandrew wrote:
Erik17 wrote:

So he should have created a world in which mutually exclusive things were possible?
Why are the mutually exclusive?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Erik17 wrote:

He's God, why put limits on his creation abilities?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
Dolphinandrew wrote:
Erik17 wrote:

Wrong. Life was "designed" to be free and easy, but man chose the hard way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
**sigh.....**

There are immutable rules to existence. God has just maximized His ability to work within those rules. For all intents and purposes to our limited perspective, that makes Him all-powerful. But all-powerful doesn't not mean limitless power. It just means that all power that is available for one entity to possess... He's got it.

So when you ask why God doesn't just create a system where people don't suffer the consequences of their actions (or suffer because of the consequences of the actions of others), it's because such a system cannot exist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
**sigh.....**

There are immutable rules to existence. God has just maximized His ability to work within those rules. For all intents and purposes to our limited perspective, that makes Him all-powerful. But all-powerful doesn't not mean limitless power. It just means that all power that is available for one entity to possess... He's got it.

So when you ask why God doesn't just create a system where people don't suffer the consequences of their actions (or suffer because of the consequences of the actions of others), it's because such a system cannot exist.
Sp omnipotence means "limited power"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
**sigh.....**

I believe this is quozl's cue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Stone
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
May the bikini be with you!
badge
I destroy SJWs!
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
**sigh.....**

Not for Him. For us. This is our arena to learn the lessons we need to.

"Suffering" and dealing with it is part of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
**sigh.....**

It means "all power available."

And now, ladies and gentleman, for your listening pleasure.... the 93,412th verse of "Can God Create A Boulder So Big He Can't Lift It!"

Hit it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
**sigh.....**

And now, ladies and gentleman, for your listening pleasure.... the 93,412th verse of "Can God Create A Boulder So Big He Can't Lift It!"

Hit it.
Did he create the universe, and thus those rule?

As to omnipotence, it seems the meaning has changed. Certainly it seems that some dictionaries just say it means
Quote:
an agency or force of unlimited power
whilst others says
Quote:
the quality of having unlimited or very great power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:

Hit it.

In other words, what powers are unavailable? Who defined them? How do they exist?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Stone
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
May the bikini be with you!
badge
I destroy SJWs!
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

Hit it.

In other words, what powers are unavailable? Who defined them? How do they exist?

Mystery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearcat89 wrote:

I wasn't asked. I would have chosen the easy way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:

Bah, I have it on good authority that if the fine structure constant was just tweaked a bit, suffering is eliminated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearcat89 wrote:

Wasn't man designed to choose the hard way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

Hit it.

So I've already set this up as "With our limited visibility and understanding, God appears to be able to do anything despite being bound by some rules and laws." Your response to that is "Which rules and laws?" How should I know? I'm one of those dopes with the limited vision and understanding.

Did God create gravity, or did He create a universe which maximized the abilities of gravity to make things work really really cool and where He knows how to manipulate it to make miracle-y-looking things happen?

I dunno. But for all intents and purposes for me and my life and my existence, that detail doesn't matter in the slightest. I got other things I need to worry about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mutton Chops
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
**sigh.....**

So, for you, this god is not omnipotent then, as is usually claimed. I see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
Bearcat89 wrote:

I wasn't asked. I would have chosen the easy way!

You're here, so you were asked and you didn't choose the easy way.

(EDITOR'S NOTE: The previous post was laced with heavy doses of Mormon-specific theology.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [11] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.