Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG Suggestions

Subject: show/all replies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geoff C
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I cannot stand how bgg currently shows/reveals replies to geeklist items. For some reason it hides X replies without any apparent logic, and forces me to find and hit the show all (equivalent) button to actually see all replies.

The logic in this code needs to change, or have a show all button available right away, or at least move the show all to where the show button was for easy double clicking.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Talonz wrote:
I cannot stand how bgg currently shows/reveals replies to geeklist items. For some reason it hides X replies without any apparent logic, and forces me to find and hit the show all (equivalent) button to actually see all replies.

The logic in this code needs to change, or have a show all button available right away, or at least move the show all to where the show button was for easy double clicking.


Showing all the replies to geeklists was putting a tremendous amount of stress on the servers, thus the change. This issue has come up before, and you could probably search the forum for the answers there.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jschlickbernd wrote:
Talonz wrote:
I cannot stand how bgg currently shows/reveals replies to geeklist items. For some reason it hides X replies without any apparent logic, and forces me to find and hit the show all (equivalent) button to actually see all replies.

The logic in this code needs to change, or have a show all button available right away, or at least move the show all to where the show button was for easy double clicking.


Showing all the replies to geeklists was putting a tremendous amount of stress on the servers, thus the change. This issue has come up before, and you could probably search the forum for the answers there.


Server load is something I think most users don't appreciate. One problem is to make a system logically correct. An even greater level of complexity is to make it fast. I'm sure that a lot of the BGG code is to "just" make the system fast.

When I worked at IBM system center (sort of a regional support office) the database guys weren't called in to fix logic, but to tune the database. They were highly skilled specialists at this aspect of database work.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Liumas wrote:
jschlickbernd wrote:
Showing all the replies to geeklists was putting a tremendous amount of stress on the servers

That's not what Geoff is talking about. He is talking about the *way* it is done, which is poor and makes no apparent sense, like he says.

I imagine a die being rolled each time to determine how much the screw with the current geekList item, which will surely be different from the one below it, and the one above it, and who knows? whatever? I don't know?


I think Jennifer (jschlickbernd) described the situation absolutely accurately, but not fully. It used to be that on the header that "Show All Comments" showed all the comments for all 25 geeklist items in the view. Now you get only the last 2 comments for each item in the view. That doesn't seem random at all to me.

Now if you want to see all the comments then you have to open the comments geeklist item by geeklist item, instead of selecting all 25 geeklist items at once. Much less of a server load. (It also is a lot less scrolling if you're not interested in all 25 geeklist items.)

The change was a pragmatic one to keep the servers responsive. There are multiple users sharing each server. If one user hit a geeklist with dozens and dozens of comments then the server slowed down for everyone using it.

So now if you want to have all the comments for the 25 geeklist items in view, then you must go to each item and retrieve its extra comments (if more than 2 comments on that item).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff C
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no problem with all replies for all items being hidden. I don't want to open replies for more than one item at a time.

What I do want is for all (unread?) replies to show for a single item when I click Show. Failing that, I'd like to have the Show All equivalent be right behind the Show button so that a double click will accomplish the same thing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Talonz wrote:
I have no problem with all replies for all items being hidden. I don't want to open replies for more than one item at a time.

What I do want is for all (unread?) replies to show for a single item when I click Show. Failing that, I'd like to have the Show All equivalent be right behind the Show button so that a double click will accomplish the same thing.


I don't remember BGG using a double click anywhere for a "button".

If you start off with comments hidden, then you see this:


To see all the comments it is a bit wonky like a lot of BGG controls. You must:
(1) Click button "View Previous 8"

this collapses the controls to two buttons "Show" and "Comment"

(2) Now clicking on "Show" will show you all the comments.

alternatively

(1) Click "Show"
which shows 2 comments
(2) Click "View Previous 8" which will now display all 10.

----------

I'm not sure how many comments can be viewed at once time. 10 was the most I found going though about a dozen "hot" geeklists.

But a better control logic would seem to be to have two buttons "Show All" and "Comment".

If you start viewing with the comments hidden then clicking on "Show All" shows all the comments for that list item, assuming that there are some. Otherwise the button would be disabled (grayed out).

If you start viewing with the comments enabled, then by default up to 2 comments would be shown. If there were two or less comments then the "Show All" button would be disabled (grayed out). If there were more than two comments then the "Show All" button would be enabled and clicking it would show all the comments.

I can't think of anywhere where BGG uses this sort of common MS Windows scheme enabling/disabling a control. Not sure if such a scheme is used in Motif style interfaces or not.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff C
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
See i dont see any at first because of my preferences. So I tend to click on 'show' and then sigh heavily and have to move over and click 'view previous x', which for some reason includes all replies instead of just the unread ones.

Which actually brings up another issue...if subscriptions on threads can take us to the first unread, why doesn't the same thing happen with subs on geeklist items? Any new comment currently just takes me to the geeklist and I have to start scrolling around and expanding items hunting for it...first world problems sure but...there has to be a better way!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.