Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MountainMaverick wrote:
1) If a 1 HP ally is blocking an attack, and the shadow card says deal one damage to the defender, is the attack now considered undefended?

2) Does Mablung get his resource if you optionally engage an enemy only, or can you get the resource if an enemy engages you on it's own as well?

3) Can the Beorn hero get sacked? Can tentacles in the Watcher in the Water scenario attach to him? What about other enemy attachments?

3b) If he can't get a tentacle attachment, what happens to the tentacle? Does it remain as a bad guy, or is it discarded?

1) Yes. It's very unfortunate.

2) He gets a resource any time an enemy engages you (limit once per phase).

3) Nope. No attachments ever. You'll have to sack someone else.

3b) You just ignore the effect, so it remains a bad guy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Switajewski

Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmb
1) Yes, if the declared defender is in anyway removed from defending, the attack becomes undefended. Those shadow effects can be really rough.

2) Mablung gets a resource whenever you engage an enemy, or an enemy engages you (the latest FAQ clarified that there is no effective difference in the wording). However, he can only collect 1 per phase. So, for instance if you optionally engage an enemy during the encounter phase, he would gain one, and if you discarded Westfold Outrider to engage an enemy, also during the encounter phase, he would not gain an additional one. If you wait until the combat phase, he would.

3) I swear this got ruled on at some point, but now I can't find the specific ruling. The nearest I can find is in the FAQ for Wilyador, who says "no attachments." I don't know if the wording makes a difference:

Q: When playing with the A Journey to Rhosgobel
Nightmare Deck, can Shot From the Sky (AJtR 7) and
Noxious Supplies (AJtR 8) attach to Wilyador (SoM
64), even though he has the text, “No attachments”?

A: Yes. The Adventure Pack insert for A Journey to
Rhosgobel defines “no attachments” as meaning that
“players cannot play or move attachment cards onto
Wilyador.” Since players are not playing or moving
these attachments (an encounter card effect is attaching
them), they can be attached to Wilyador.

By that ruling, I would say encounter attachments work on him the same as any other hero. Hypothetically if they did not, though, for your 3b, I would argue that it stays in play. FFG has since gotten pretty consistent with tagging on "if able" at the end of triggers like this. So, if you're not able, it doesn't trigger.

Hope that helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom N
msg tools
mbmb
I've seen people argue both ways on beorn. I can't believe ffg hasn't clarified this. It drives me nuts. There's been many threads on different forums and the debate seems never ending to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Switajewski

Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmb
Ok, it was bothering me so I just traded some emails with Caleb, here's what he says Re: Hero Beorn and encounter attachments:

For We Must Away Ere Break of Day Sacks:
Beorn cannot be selected for those effects. The sack rules in the insert say the player must chose an eligible character. So, if Beorn is the first most appropriate target, the rules say you would choose the next most appropriate target since Beorn is ineligible.

For Carrock Sacked!:
When resolving Sacked! from Conflict at the Carraock, you just need to choose another hero. If there are no other heroes without Sacked! attached, then it’s effect fizzles and you probably still lose the game because all your heroes besides Beorn are stuck.

Tentacle:
With regard to the Grasping Tentacle, you would resolve as much of its effect as possible when you attack it with Beorn. That means you’d still discard the top card of the encounter deck, but you would not attach it to Beorn. It would remain in play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would you please change the title of your post to something like Shadow Cards, Sacked, Tentacles?

It really helps others to know which rules posts to click on when they are looking for answers.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chadgar24
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank You Sean and caleb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alogos teeheehee
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeromage wrote:
I've seen people argue both ways on beorn. I can't believe ffg hasn't clarified this. It drives me nuts. There's been many threads on different forums and the debate seems never ending to me.

People just can't stop reading differently.

The Journey to Rosgobel has a slightly differen wording that make it so players cannot play attachement, but encounter cards can still attach to Willyador.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.