Popular Tags: [View All]
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say that you affiliate the lowest valued ally of each race from your hand, that is clear. But is it mandatory? You may not want to do that if you have the location that subtracts the number of affiliates from its score. A literal reading says you must affiliate those allies, but it seems the intent of the rule is to give the players some possible compensation for cards left in hand, not to harm them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My impression is that affiliating is mandatory because that location you speak of seems much less interesting and slightly overpowered otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Typically you see "may" in the rules if it is optional. I read it as mandatory and something to plan for if you have a location that would be reduced if they are in hand at the end of the game.

meeple Keep playing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mandatory. The game expects you to find ways to mitigate the number of affiliated allies from your hand if you end up with that location. 12+ points is also quite a bit from one location and, depending on how you played, this can easily net you 15-16 points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carquinyoli

Tarragona
Catalunya
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the general opinion.
You need to get rid low value Allies so that you do not affiliate them on end game. A 4 value ally would only substract 1 point from that Location, but will add 4 to your count.
Besides, I think that Location is intended for those players focusing their strategy on affiliating few allies (recruiting few lords and not asking help from Council).

On my last game I never asked for Council's Help (draw a pile) so that I only bought high-value allies, that were the ones I affiliated. I bought a Merchant Lord that gave me a pearl for each race sent to Council when exploring so I Explored a lot, defeating monsters and gaining lots of pearls with which to help me buying lords. I got that location you talk about, and since I only bought 5 Lords and didn't affiliate allies on end-game I got many points for the Location. Didn't win but was close to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.