Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony Veltre
United States
Middleville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, the Rebels are able to spend 1 strain during an attack to heal 1 strain token. What happens if they have no strain tokens? Are they able to use this to heal a point of damage instead?

In the rulebook it says that the heroes can heal damage whenever something recovers strain in excess of what they have. So I may be over complicating this rule, but to me it sounds like if you have at least one strain and something allows you to recover more than you have, then you can use those to recover damage. Meaning that attack dice wouldn't qualify since you are only ever at most recovering 1 strain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Recovering one strain is still in excess of zero if you have zero strain. You can indeed recover damage spending a surge from an attack if you have suffered no strain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
If you recover strain, even 1 strain, and you are unstrained at the time, you still recover health. The rule is meant to allow you to heal whenever the amount of strain recovered is greater than the amount suffered, even if the amount suffered is currently zero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Veltre
United States
Middleville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the replies. Is it the same on rebel ally cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Figures with deployment cards do not have strain because they do not have endurance.

Only heroes can recover strain using surges during attack (they have a built-in surge ability), but allies may recover (receive) strain using other effects and surge abilities, and then they are converted to recovering (receiving) damage instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Veltre
United States
Middleville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, you don't have to do any damage to heal a strain with a surge icon, correct? If an imperial player rolls one of the icons that blocks a surge, does that only could take as a block defensively or all together? Meaning the Rebels player. Couldn't use it to heal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Evade removes a surge. It does not exist anymore, so you can't spend it.

(Unless of course you have more surges than evades.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Veltre
United States
Middleville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
Evade removes a surge. It does not exist anymore, so you can't spend it.

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
allies may recover (receive) strain using other effects and surge abilities, and then they are converted to recovering (receiving) damage instead.

Can you give an example of this? I can't think of any example where an ally would be given a chance to recover strain. Some indeed have surge abilities that allow them to recover damage, but not strain.

There is also no rule that covers non-heroes recovering strain that I can find. While non-heroes suffering strain is definitely converted to damage, the rule that recovering strain turns into recovering damage is specifically hero-only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was sloppy writing (and editing) that. Abilities on deployment cards naturally recover damage directly, but abilities from heroes and their class cards can recover strain which gets converted.

Abilities on deployment cards can cause strain though (for example Trandoshan Hunters).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
...but abilities from heroes and their class cards can recover strain which gets converted.

I don't think they do, actually. Sure, for other heroes, it might get converted, but there is no rule that says that when allies recover strain, they recover damage instead.

And yeah, I'm not arguing against strain suffered being converted to damage for non-heroes. The rules are clear on that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just went on a search through my cards and found there is at least one card that can cause an ally to recover strain: the Supply card, Adrenal Stim.

However, I stand by my argument that there is no rule that converts strain recovery to damage recovery for non-heroes.

Thus, I believe that if you decided to use Adrenal Stim on an ally, they would simply become focused (a secondary effect of the card) and would not recover any damage.

Edit: The Portable Medkit from Item Deck 1 (which may make an adjacent friendly figure recover three damage and one strain) also is affected by this decision. I reckon an ally would only recover three damage if this is used, not four.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Veltre
United States
Middleville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
I just went on a search through my cards and found there is at least one card that can cause an ally to recover strain: the Supply card, Adrenal Stim.

However, I stand by my argument that there is no rule that converts strain recovery to damage recovery for non-heroes.

Thus, I believe that if you decided to use Adrenal Stim on an ally, they would simply become focused (a secondary effect of the card) and would not recover any damage.

Edit: The Portable Medkit from Item Deck 1 (which may make an adjacent friendly figure recover three damage and one strain) also is affected by this decision. I reckon an ally would only recover three damage if this is used, not four.

This was going to be my follow up question. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, Recover specifically mentions heroes recovering strain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:

+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.