United States
waxhaw
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks,

I've been playing a few games at http://www.timeforchess.com/ (aka Red Hot Pawn). I'm still provisionally rated, but I am currently around 1450. I understand that provisional ratings are quite volatile, so take that with a grain of salt. For the last few days I've also been playing a few games at ICC http://www.chessclub.com/ playing either standard or blitz games - no bullet. Wow, that place is tough - my provisional standard rating at ICC is around 975 or so. Again, it's provisional, it will likely change wildly for some time yet.

My question for you folks is if you have noticed disparity in rqtings from one online community in the chess world to another. If so, how much different, and which sites are tougher/easier? I don't really believe that ICC players are 500 points tougher on average, but there does seem to be (in my own brief and small sampling) a noticable difference in the quality of chess being played at the two sites. Any other opinions?

-Glenn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Rating systems that use some form of Elo's formula are only valid for comparing players within the same pool that use the same system and play against each other. They are measures of relative strength against players who play in the same group with the same rating system. They are not valid for comparing across different rating systems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bernhardt
United States
saratoga springs
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Red Hot Pawn seems to be the most accurate rating in terms of my OTB strength. But, Tim is right, it only counts within the pool of players on a particular site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Pruitt
United States
waxhaw
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wargamer66 wrote:
Red Hot Pawn seems to be the most accurate rating in terms of my OTB strength. But, Tim is right, it only counts within the pool of players on a particular site.

So when you say "accurate" are you saying that your RHP rating is similar to your rating in some other community? Which one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bernhardt
United States
saratoga springs
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is fairly close to my US Chess Federation tournament rating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Andrews

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I have played a lot on the ICC and can confirm that ratings there tend to run about 200 points below over-the-board USCF ratings. (I have played many people in both places.) I don't have any significant experience in other online chess communities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.