Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: kids [+] children [+] [View All]
steve
United States
SE
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
about a month ago, someone posted a link to their site which rated and discussed board games for kids. I think they were(or planning to) link the games back here to BGG.

I meant to add the web address to the quickbar, but apparently, I didn't.. anyone have the address?

Thanks!
Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Takagi
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's:

www.KidGameRatings.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve
United States
SE
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
simple enough..

great - thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I created that website.

I'm also planning to add more features like game comments, ratings and eventually a forum. I'm making good progress on developing this stuff, so they should be up there soon.

A big problem here on BGG is that people just don't rate kids games very often, and when they do rate them it's often based on how much they as an adult liked playing it.

So hopefully my site will provide a place specifically for kid game fans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mrbass
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One problem is the COPA act which doesn't let kids under age 13 register on websites or something like that....I don't know what it's true purpose is. I don't know how yahooligans Yahoo that is avoid prosecution. Perhaps they bribe the right people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbass wrote:
One problem is the COPA act which doesn't let kids under age 13 register on websites or something like that....I don't know what it's true purpose is. I don't know how yahooligans Yahoo that is avoid prosecution. Perhaps they bribe the right people.
I may be incorrect, but I believe that most (even Yahooligans) won't let kids (under 13) register without a parent/guardian's permission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbass wrote:

Hmm, I've been thinking mostly of adults entering ratings for kids games. But of course kids can go there too. I'll keep that in mind, and the 13 yr thing sounds like a good policy.

According to wikipedia, COPA was blocked - I'll have to look more into this though.

"The Child Online Protection Act[1] (COPA)[2] is a law in the United States of America, passed in 1998 with the declared purpose of protecting children from harmful sexual material on the internet. The law was blocked by the courts and has never taken effect."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_Online_Protection_Act

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cull wrote:
mrbass wrote:

Hmm, I've been thinking mostly of adults entering ratings for kids games. But of course kids can go there too. I'll keep that in mind, and the 13 yr thing sounds like a good policy.

According to wikipedia, COPA was blocked - I'll have to look more into this though.

"The Child Online Protection Act[1] (COPA)[2] is a law in the United States of America, passed in 1998 with the declared purpose of protecting children from harmful sexual material on the internet. The law was blocked by the courts and has never taken effect."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_Online_Protection_Act

COPA was indeed blocked, as it was deemed unconstitutional. However, COPPA, the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act, wich essentially is the same thing in this context, was passed. COPPA and COPA are often confused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
COPPA
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/coppa.htm

I guess I'll add a check box for my registration - "I certify that I am 13 years or older."
Looks like the law has killed many kids sites. Too bad.

But the audience I've had in mind was always adults looking for games for kids, since adults will usually be the ones making the decisions about what to buy, and the ones with the money to do so. So this doesn't actually change anything for my plan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.