Bert Water
Netherlands
flag msg tools
I played the base game with an Explorer (Robinson), with Friday and a dog, because that's in the book. Well, there are also two cats but I don't think they helped Robinson much.

For the Beagle it is a bit more complicated because Darwin had an entire crew. The expansion does have crew cards but I don't want to make the game easier than it already is. So I decided to play with Darwin (obviously) and the Missionary (as captain FitzRoy). To represent the crew I thought the horse would be a nice idea. Darwin obviously didn't have one but it would make his life easier (as did the crew) without making the game itself too easy.

What I love about the game is that all events (including the event cards) match with the game. A storm, lightning hits a tree, these are all things that are to be expected on an island. The "Darwin specific" event cards seem to make no sense whatsoever. They feel thrown in to make the game harder for no real reason, so I threw those in the trash.

Any thoughts on a "histrorically accurate" team composition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Botanybob - wanna comment on that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Masson
United States
Yuma
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All combinations will work and were probably accurate. It was a long voyage and everyone needs shore leave.

For more historical information I suggest this seven part video series on youtube.

http://youtu.be/1hoDaxVIVPE

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Masson
United States
Yuma
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be historically accurate you could even replace friday with one of the three fuegian natives who were brought to England, 'civilised', and brought back to Tierra del Fuego.

Only combo that probably wouldn't work is using female side of character sheets. Only woman on the Beagle was one of the Fuegan natives. I blame the Patriarchy. So glad they removed that rule before I served my term in the US Navy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.