Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron Olivier, Sr.
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The stage was set for another game night, the first of 2015. The centerpiece game was going to be Formula D, and there'd be a second table for anyone who wanted to choose a different game. As game night crowds usually could vary from 4 to 11 people, I was hoping for a good-sized crowd. As fate would have it, we ended up with a small (but select) group of five - me, my wife, our two kids, and our oldest grandson!
My daughter had never played before, and my grandson only had played once, so we went with the beginners' rules. After determining the starting positions, my son switched the cars around a bit, offering to be at the rear of the pack. After the first die rolls, I rolled for a great start, which allowed me to be at the front of the pack with my grandson Raven. My daughter DJ stalled out and was quickly being left behind after two turns. My wife Diane was slow, sure, and steady.
Throughout the first half of lap 1, Raven and I battled for the lead, before succumbing to what would go down in dice-rolling history as one of the greatest streaks ever by Ron Jr. He didn't just take the lead...in a few short turns he went from third place to a huge lead, never to relinquish it.
Lap 2 featured a lot of back and forth action within the pack of us also-rans. The four of us all spent time in second place and in last place. But by the end of lap 1, I had pulled into a pretty solid second place, and had my sights on the leader...from a distance. Even as I raced fast and loose, bringing my wear points from 17 down to 5 during lap two, the best I could do was a distant second.
Raven immediately began pestering his mom as to how HE would love to have his own copy of the game, which she didn't seem to mind because she commented how much fun the game was. But it was just about his bedtime, so the two of them left to go home.
The rest of us took out my other new game, Trains, and proceeded with a game of that. But that's a story for another time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.