Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Rollings
United Kingdom
Peterborough
Cambs
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was a no-brainer buy for me. Ticket To Ride is my most played game (so much so that I wore out the first copy) and so you will have to read this review with this fact in mind!

USA 1910 comes in a nice quality tin with full sized card replacements for all of the original T2R cards and a totally new set of destinations. Also included is the 'Globetrotter' bonus card, which is used instead or aswell as the longest route bonus depending on which variant you wish to play. The final addition, that was nice to see, are the 4 destination cards from the "Mystery Train" expansion. All card backs are identical.

The rule book contains a single page per language detailing how play differs with the new cards.

"1910" features just the new set of destinations.

"Big Cities" is a variant where you use only the 35 cards featuring one of the 6 biggest cities on the board.

"The Mega Game" features all the destinations and both of the bonus cards and this is the version we played, and that I am reviewing below.

Firstly, it's nice to have full sized cards and the cards are graphically different from the originals, featuring the US flag as a watermark behind the picture. The locomotive also now features all of the symbols from the colour cards rather than just the line of coloured squares.

The rules state that 5 cards are dealt to each player and they must keep 3 or more. When further cards are taken, this is four at a time and players must keep 1 or more.

The game felt completely new, in that I had no idea where my opponent was heading. I guess this will diminish somewhat as we learn the new cards but there is now such variety of destinations (and to most of the previously untouched cities such as Las Vegas and Washington) that I don't think you can ever be really sure. This prevented blocking to a degree - though Nashville to Atlanta and Dalas and New Orleans to Houston
are still valuable routes to grab or to use to block.

Taking 4 destination cards at a time and the wealth of new destinations means that you can end up achieving far more tickets than ever before, including more long east/west cards. However I took three long ones at the start and took all of the game trying to complete those, while my opponent was taking new destinations until the cows came home. I got 10 points for longest route, but he got the 15 point bonus for completing the most tickets. I lost by 4 points.

It doesn't change the game to the degree that some of the Carcassonne expansions alter the feel and strategies of that game, but it does add variety. It doesn't add any real replayability for me personally - I would have continued to play the game every day of the week without the release of 1910, but now I have the expansion, I will not play without it. I also look forward to playing "Big Cities" to see how gameplay is changed in this variant.

If you like Ticket To Ride, this is a must buy. If you don't, it's really not going to change your mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Webster
United Kingdom
Winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
markrollings wrote:
I also look forward to playing "Big Cities" to see how gameplay is changed in this variant.

I am hoping this will make the 2-player game a little more exciting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Seddon
United Kingdom
Congleton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do like TtR and so do my family and gamer friends. This is going to make a good stocking filler.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
I was expecting the new tickets to be broken up into long and short routes, as we've seen in TtR:Europe, but that's not the case. Consequently, I managed to easily combine two 19-point tickets (plus others) to win our first 1910 game on Saturday. If one of the complaints about TtR was that it can be unfair if one player gets coinciding long routes, why wasn't this corrected in the 1910 edition? It doesn't bother me all that much, but it is sometimes annoying that one player can "luck out" in this way.

We played using only the 1910 tickets and the game was much more tense than usual. Nobody knew where anyone else was going; we couldn't predict each others' routes as we hadn't learnt the tickets; and without the bonus for longest route, it wasn't even certain that players were trying to connect their trains together. I like the larger tickets much better too, as I don't have Alan Moon's child-size hands (see also San Marco).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Johnson
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played the 1910 variant last night and were very surprised how differently it played to the original.

The new routed really force everyone to fight for the smaller routes. Pittsburgh last night was a real mess with some dangerous looks being exchanged between players.

GOne are the days of the predictable LA to NY type long hall routes that telegraphed your strategy. The absence of a longest route card also made for more dynamic play as it led to less predictable train placement.

The large cards are wonderfully made with better quality finish. However, when you have a handful it quite difficult to hold them all.

Altogether a very worthwhile addition to the game and an improvement.

Enjoy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.