Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Jamet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a rush/FA deck exploiting the Atlas chaining.

I'm exploring this archetype for almost two months. At first, I tried a glacier deck. It's very easy to stack very cheap space ices, while waiting for a combo of Atlas + Trick of Light (ToL)...

...But it did not work very well. Sometimes, it works extremely well. But sometimes, it does not work so much.

I saw the light one month ago, when I understood that it must be a rush deck too. A very polymorphic deck: rush, glacier, and fast advancement.

Supporting this idea, I switched to a composition of ices with almost only space ices and binary ices. In the first version, there was a couple of Chimera, but since I went even further with Paper Wall instead of Chimera.

There are two pitfalls when you try to chain the Atlas:

(A) The Runner steals one or two Atlas.
(B) You draw the Atlas but not the ToL, or the opposite (Atlas jam).

You really cannot ignore thoses two pitfalls if you want to play this kind of decks because it happens very often.

What are the solutions:
(1) To Recycle a lot with Jackson and Daily Business Show (this requires a remote server).
(2) To Score a 4/2 agenda with two ToL and then to recycle the ToL.
(3) To Build a solid remote server.

All those solutions have their limits, specially (3). It's almost impossible to build a solid remote server after the mid game when the Runner is fully installed and efficient. I mean, if you want to defend HQ and R&D too in the same time.

But there's a 4th solution:

(4) To score an agenda before the Runner is installed. And by before, I mean on the turn 2 if possible. This led to the radical solution to play Paper Wall.

Each agenda scored in the early game is one less agenda you need to score later. It addresses the pitfall (A), and you do not need to burn 2 ToL for a 4/2 (that you need to draw and recycle later).

Each Atlas scored without a ToL brings more flexibility. It addresses the pitfall (B) because with the first Atlas token, you are able to tutor either an Atlas or a ToL depending on what you draw first.

If you feel confident enough, and you have the credits for it, you should try to score an Atlas like a 5/3 agenda in a remote. With a reserve of 3 Atlas tokens, you are now almost unstoppable.

Now the deck...

Titan • Space Train

Titan Transnational: Investing In Your Future (Order and Chaos)

Agenda (11)
3x Geothermal Fracking (Opening Moves)
2x Hostile Takeover (Core Set)
3x NAPD Contract (Double Time)
3x Project Atlas (What Lies Ahead)

Asset (3)
3x Jackson Howard (Opening Moves) •••

Upgrade (2)
2x Crisium Grid (First Contact)

Operation (14)
2x Archived Memories (Core Set) ••••
3x Beanstalk Royalties (Core Set)
3x Commercialization (Cyber Exodus)
1x Hedge Fund (Core Set)
2x Subliminal Messaging (Fear and Loathing)
3x Trick of Light (Trace Amount) ••••• ••••

Barrier (8)
3x Asteroid Belt (Order and Chaos)
3x Ice Wall (Core Set)
2x Paper Wall (Mala Tempora)

Code Gate (7)
3x Quandary (Double Time)
2x Wendigo (First Contact)
2x Wormhole (Order and Chaos)

Sentry (4)
3x Nebula (Order and Chaos)
1x Swordsman (Second Thoughts)

17 influence spent (max 17)
20 agenda points (between 20 and 21)
49 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Order and Chaos

The deck on NetrunnerDB.

Agendas

Aside the mandatory 3 Atlas, I chose:

Hostile Takeover: Firmware Updates is without a doubt a wonderful agenda but for a FA deck we need Hostile Takeover. Period. I try to score it as late as possible to avoid the bad pub, just in case I'll be forced to score a NAPD later.

NAPD Contract: for its well known defensive property. It's a very good candidate for an early scoring behind a binary ice.

Geothermal Fracking : for the easy money (up to 21 credits).

I rejected every 5/3 agendas. The Runner has to steal 4 agendas. This is an additional defense for this deck. Anyway, 5/3 agenda are unscorable.

Assets

I tried Daily Business Show but it requires a remote server with a decent defense. But in this deck a defense is a binary ice (very weak) or a space ice (very expensive: 3 clicks + 3 credits is quite a lot). In the end, 3 Jackson is enough for this deck.

Mark Yale : I know everybody loves Mark Yale, but seriously there isn't a single agenda counter I want to sell with him, and his first ability alone is rather weak. I gain more credits with a Beanstalk.

Upgrades

Crisium Grid : is an attempt to protect against many brutal events plus Keyhole.

Satellite Grid : not bad, but not as good as the Commercialization it should replace (except maybe against Leela). Also, it's incompatible with Crisium Grid.

Operations

Beanstalk, Commercialization, and Subliminal Messaging are the core of my economy. It looks very light but:
(1) The deck needs little economy. Most pieces of ice cost 0 or 1 credit. To score an Atlas with ToL costs 2 credits.
(2) I'm often very poor. So, Beanstalk and Commercialization are always playable when Hedge Fund is often unplayable.
(3) I try to stack up to 7 advancement counters on a piece of ice (Ice Wall if possible). It's my reserve for both Trick of Light and Commercialization. Don't do this against Leela if the piece of ice is unrezzed.
(4) The drip economy provided by Subliminal Messaging is sometimes incredibly efficient.

The Archived Memories are obvioulsy there to recycle the ToL. Reclamation Order is another possibility but Archived Memories is faster and cheaper. Most of the time, I need to recycle only one card at a time: after I've scored a first Atlas, I can chain a second one as soon as I draw an Atlas, a ToL,.... or an Archived Memories. You understand how fast it is and why I don't need Reclamation Order.

Ices

As I said, almost only binary ices and space ices. There are only two Wormholes. Yes, Wormhole is incredible, the best ice of Order and Chaos with Fire Wall. But sometimes Wormhole does nothing because no other piece of ice is rezzed. Believe me, it happens more than you think against a clever Runner because he will avoid running on HQ if you don't rez a piece of ice on R&D with 3 tokens on it.

Nebula has the same problem as Wormhole. I chose to play 3 of them because this deck needs a fair amount of sentries nevertheless. Maybe one less Nebula and a Caduceus or a Guard should be better though. I don't know.

Wendigo is some kind of Eli for Weyland. Less expensive to break but less expensive to rez also, and the Runner needs two breakers! Awesome. I like it a lot.

Swordsman is a defense against Eater and Atman. Also when Wormhole mimics a Swordsman, it's very funny. But you will able to trigger this trick only if the Wormhole is unrezzed with no more than one advancement counter on it.

I have fun playing this deck. I think it's a pretty good deck but not insanely powerful like NEH.

For the moment, the worse match up is against Leela. But what deck has no problem against Leela?

Please visit the page on NetrunnerDB for more design notes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish Noren
msg tools
mbmb
Do you find geo-thermal and NAPD to be at odds? 5 possible sources of bad pub kind of make NAPD a non starter after the mid-game, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Jamet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should not be forced to score both Geo and NAPD, otherwise I've certainly already lost.

Or I've scored NAPD early and Geo later.

Also I avoid to score Hostile Takeover before the end game. It's usually my last move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wanderingmystic
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Point of reference. You don't take the bad pub with Geo until you click and remove a counter for money. Unlike Hostile Takeover, you can score Geo and leave it there until you absolutely need cash.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Jamet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly. This deck doesn't need a big free cash flow. Sometimes, I take 7 to speed up the end when I need to score one last agenda. Even if I'm siphoned, I start the next turn with 2 credits which are enough to score an agenda with ToL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Turner
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Pyjam wrote:
Mark Yale : I know everybody loves Mark Yale, but seriously there isn't a single agenda counter I want to sell with him, and his first ability alone is rather weak. I gain more credits with a Beanstalk.

Remember he works with things like Hostile Takeover too. Even one scored Hostile Takeover makes Mark Yale an instant speed Hedge Fund/Bluff. Two? He's a combination Celebrity Gift + Thomas Haas, practically the definition of value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Jamet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good remark but there are still many problems with Mark Yale:
1) I prefer not to score Hostile Takeover until I have 6 agenda points, albeit your comment applies to NAPD too.
2) I can't use Mark Yale until I score a NAPD or HT. It will clog HQ until that moment.
3) Most of the time, I have no remote. The Runner will run on a naked Yale and I'll trash it. I don't expect to gain more than 4 credits with it.
4) I don't know what card I should remove to make room for Mark Yale, still an average an situational card.

I think people who plays Firmware Updates, Mark Yale, ToL, and the space ices are missing the point about Firmware Updates. This agenda is already excellent without Mark Yale : every Firmware counter is worth 3 credits on a space piece of ice, or 1 click + 1 credit if used with ToL.

Still, I don't want Firmware Updates in my deck because it's unscorable without ToL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you walk me through an ideal couple of turns? I'm curious about how you rush out the first Atlas without Trick of Light. I guess I'm picturing all the SMC/Corroder in my meta but I can't imagine dropping Paper Wall on Turn 1 and then Installing behind that (with or without advancements) on Turn 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Jamet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite turn 1 is:
Beanstalk, Quandary or Ice Wall on HQ, Asteroid Belt on R&D, then...
turn 2: 3 counters on Asteroid Belt.

But it's not for a rush.

For a rush, many options:

Best option (safest):
Ice Wall, Quandary, or Paper Wall on remote +
NAPD in remote +
Advance NAPD

or

Second choice (risky but high reward):
Wendigo on remote (if possible) +
Atlas in remote.
Advance Atlas if possible

or

Third choice (risky and average reward):
Geothermal Fracking in remote +
Advance Geothermal Fracking

I prefer to try it with NAPD. It has more chance of success.

hopefully, not every starting hand contains SMC, Corroder, or Inside Job.

Quite honestly, a NAPD or a Geothermal Fracking in the starting hand is more a burden than anything else. If I can score it immediately, good. If it is stolen, not a big deal. It was likely food for the runner anyway.

Atlas behind a Paper Wall on turn 1 is certainly a gamble, maybe not everyone's style. However, without a better ice in hand, why not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah OK. That makes more sense; I was thinking of ways to get the first Atlas scored in rush style, but NAPD is much safer.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Jamet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played enough games to tell you that more than half of the time, an Atlas is stolen during the game.

Even if it looks risky, the chance of success are hugely improved if you can score anything on turn 2, even if sometimes it fails.

captainraffi wrote:
Ah OK. That makes more sense; I was thinking of ways to get the first Atlas scored in rush style, but NAPD is much safer.
Often people ask me why I'm playing NAPD and HT. This is the reason. I would NOT try to score a 5/3 agenda in these conditions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jude Mapp
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are 51 cards in that deck list. You have 16 Operations, not 14. What would you drop?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Jamet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good catch!

There's only 1x Hedge Fund.

It's due to a last minute change. I've replaced 1x Targeted Marketing by 1x Hedge Fund to save 1 influence for Swordsman.

Now, I'm testing a version with Government Takeover. I'm suprised to see how well it works. I try to score an Atlas or a Glenn Station on turn 2. When it works, it's a huge step forward.

[See list below]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Aldershof II
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
Honestly, I really like the Space ICE, but dude to tell you the truth, here is exactly what I am looking at. Cause I love Titan.

Are you ready? Here goes.

Out of the good players in my area at least 2 will play a Leela Patel Runner Deck for Store Championships.

I honestly don't see how Space ICE can even survive, let alone be used for Trick of Light.

I will not be using Space ICE for competitive Tourney play. Cause I will just flat out loose to Leela Patel.

That's all.

Here is an example, you play some Space ICE on R&D, then he plays HQ interface, and says Inside Job. Scores an Agenda, bounce Orion on R&D or whichever loose 3 Advance tokens. Oh and you are playing Hostile Takeover right? Good luck just scoring that willy nilly, cause lets say turn 2, 3 or 4 you just score it, then Bounce that ICE with 3 token on it!

So all I can say, which some players have put into their decks is Executive Boot Camp, I know I know sounds lame but I have done the Same. Before O&C I was using Amazon Grid.

Sucks. But I believe people will soon see Leela Patel wrecking face in the end just my two cents. She's bonkers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Jamet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a lot against Leela. And I play Leela myself. So, I know her very well and I've learnt to adapt. I don't play Hostile Takeover at any moment, for example.

That said, I agree. I won't hide you it's an horrible matchup for Titan space ices. The odds of success are below 50%.

I haven't played with the last build against Leela. Maybe the odds are better now that there are less agendas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPG
Canada
Sherwood Park
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I have been playing this deck for the last few weeks and in a tournament this last weekend and I wanted to share my thoughts and get some other views. My deck is essentially the same, I think it has 2 hedge and 2 commercialization versus one and three.

First, a few observations:

-this deck is the bane for criminals (not talking Leela, I did not face her). I beat the top two players' criminal decks. One was playing fixed breaker Andysucker (not sure why) and after getting the space ice down with three counters, a virus clear made Wendigo, Wormhole and Nebula impossible. The first place player ran a Gabe deck, and once I was able to survive the onslaught and ice all centrals with space ice, he quickly stalled out.

-Space Ice makes Emergency Shutdown useless, a criminal staple.

- I had a more mixed games against the anarch Maxx decks. Cutlery and Eater are hard to deal with.

However, I really want to discuss the inclusion of Paper Wall:

The idea with Paper Wall is to score a quick Atlas turn 2. Install Atlas, Protect with Paper Wall, ice HQ or R&D. I have not found a time when this was a reasonable play. Vs Shaper, (although I did not face one) too easy to get money, install SMC, run. Criminals have Inside Job, anarchs can Eater once then run again.

Leaving one of HQ or R&D open allows 3 Keyhole, Account Siphon, Wanton Destruct, Index, etc. Too risky.

Most of my games were won without a remote, using trick of light, Atlas counter, etc. No remote (except for Jackson) means no Bank Job, which I think is making a comeback with all the NEH.

I found myself using a first turn Paper Wall to protect the less important other central until I could find something better. The chance to get out a turn 2 Atlas was just too low. In my meta, installing without ice may not get run (runner might assuming a jackson or snare, or other card worth waiting to rez before running) but with ice usually gets run.

So I am interested to see what others might suggest to replace Paper Wall. I think low cost, end the run is required, with it not disappearing after. Paper Wall saves anarchs the use of a cutlery.

Ice Wall would be perfect, but we already have 3 of those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Jamet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have a lot of time to answer now.

Thanks for playing my deck and for the report. I'm glad you beat the first two players with this deck.

Indeed it's a bane for Gabe and Andy. No Bankjob nor Security testing possible.

Trying to score an Atlas or a 4/2 turn 2 is always a gamble. But a huge momentum is gained when it works. Yes, there are many solutions for the Runner. My idea is that the earlier I try it, the better chance of success I have.

Paper Wall adds an additional chance of success against Account Siphon and Parasite (compared to Quandary). Also it destroys the Knights.

You can play Chimera instead if you want. It's better against the cutlery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I made some of your suggestions and had good luck with the deck. The only thing that got me was Valencia + Blackmail. I did a really really good job of keeping her out of R&D and HQ, with no Keyholes during the entire game. However, out of the 4 or 5 R&D access my opponent got in the game he picked 1 Atlas out and I could never score the last agenda out of the remote I may have been able to win if I'd have 3 Hostile Takeovers, but no guarantee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Jamet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played against Valencia.

Did you try the version 3 with Government Takeover? I'm very pleased with it. The accesses on R&D are a lot less successful. Agenda floods are rarer. The addition of 1 Reclamation Order helps a lot when one or two Project Atlas are stolen.

I don't like to play with 3x Hostile Takeover. The games where two were stolen are to rare to justified a 3rd copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really want to play with 3x either; in that particular game last night the only way I could have won was to score all three at the end. How does Reclamation order help you when a couple Atlases are scored?

The Valencia match up was very hard. I managed to play well, getting ICE rezzed on my centrals. I also managed to bait a Blackmail on my remote using Space Camp (just a random 1x I have) and Jackson, but with 3x Blackmail, Deja Vu, and Levy, I couldn't do it enough times. I think I'd try and make room for a Boot Camp or Amazon before Mills though, as those work in other matchups as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Jamet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have published the version 3 on NetrunnerDB (link).

Titan • Space Train • Version 3

Titan Transnational: Investing In Your Future (Order and Chaos)

Agenda (9)
3x Glenn Station (Order and Chaos)
1x Government Takeover (Order and Chaos)
2x Hostile Takeover (Core Set)
3x Project Atlas (What Lies Ahead)

Asset (2)
2x Jackson Howard (Opening Moves) ••

Upgrade (2)
2x Crisium Grid (First Contact)

Operation (18)
2x Archived Memories (Core Set) ••••
3x Beanstalk Royalties (Core Set)
3x Commercialization (Cyber Exodus)
1x Fast Track (Honor and Profit)
1x Paywall Implementation (The Spaces Between)
1x Reclamation Order (Double Time) ••
3x Shipment from Kaguya (Core Set)
1x Subliminal Messaging (Fear and Loathing)
3x Trick of Light (Trace Amount) ••••• ••••

Barrier (8)
3x Asteroid Belt (Order and Chaos)
3x Ice Wall (Core Set)
2x Paper Wall (Mala Tempora)

Code Gate (7)
3x Quandary (Double Time)
2x Wendigo (First Contact)
2x Wormhole (Order and Chaos)

Sentry (3)
3x Nebula (Order and Chaos)

17 influence spent (max 17)
20 agenda points (between 20 and 21)
49 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Order and Chaos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Jamet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
captainraffi wrote:
How does Reclamation order help you when a couple Atlases are scored?
I assume you meant when 2 Atlas are stolen, not scored.

I use 2 ToL to score a Glenn Station, and Reclamation Order to reuse the 2 ToL.

Tonight, I was unable to score an Atlas early. I was led 0-4 when I managed to build this fortress:

(click to enlarge)

There was no remote. At this point, the Runner played... Escher ! but it didn't help him a lot.

Finally, I drew a ToL and scored an Atlas I had in my hand since turn 1 !!!
Then Archived Memories to get back the ToL. I tutor an Atlas with the Atlas counter. I scored another Atlas.
Then I drew and scored a Hostile Takeover.
Then I played Reclamation order to get back ToL and Fast Track to tutor a Glenn Station. Next turn, I tutored a ToL with the Atlas counter and scored the Glenn Station for 7 points.

Epic Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls