Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Chan
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi
So i played my first games of dead of winter last night and when ran into this issue (and could not find any threads that discussed it)

Are players allowed to continue contributing crisis or food token cards even when it is NOT their turn? This situation may arise if one of the players (Player B) forgets to contribute to the crisis and then realizes the last player (Player C) doesn't have enough of the needed crisis items to prevent the crisis. Is player B then allowed to then add his cards into the crisis?

This may also arise for the food tokens necessary to feed the colony. I found several times during the game, because people move to or from the colony during their turns, it changes constantly the amount of food required to pay in the colony phase. So if for example Player C (last player) decides to play an outsider card and add a survivor + 2 helpless survivors to the colony (and yes, that would be suspicious of being a betrayer trying to starve the colony), is Player A or B then allowed to add more food to the colony (by playing hand cards) to make sure everyone is fed?

I appreciate all responses

P.S. our first two games, we also accidentally played the hard core version. NO WONDER it was so difficult to win

Loving the game so far!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Li
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smithsoni wrote:
This situation may arise if one of the players (Player B) forgets to contribute to the crisis and then realizes the last player (Player C) doesn't have enough of the needed crisis items to prevent the crisis. Is player B then allowed to then add his cards into the crisis?

No, there is no way for a player to contribute to the crisis outside of his/her turn. AFAIK, that's by design.

EDIT: I guess that's the "cooperate" part of the game to work things out ahead of time to resolve the crisis.

smithsoni wrote:

This may also arise for the food tokens necessary to feed the colony. I found several times during the game, because people move to or from the colony during their turns, it changes constantly the amount of food required to pay in the colony phase. So if for example Player C (last player) decides to play an outsider card and add a survivor + 2 helpless survivors to the colony (and yes, that would be suspicious of being a betrayer trying to starve the colony), is Player A or B then allowed to add more food to the colony (by playing hand cards) to make sure everyone is fed?

A player cannot play an item card outside of his/her turn neither. (Contributing to food supply = playing the food card.) However, the current player can request food card(s) from other players to play it right away to add to the food supply.

EDIT: "Request an item (card)" is a free action. The requested card just can't be used for crisis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
By my understanding - no, you can't do either.

Playing cards and adding cards to the crisis are player actions, which can only be taken during that player's turn.

Sadly, we have to plan ahead to avoid these situations! And don't forget to put cards in (like wifey did the other night!

If someone's about to ignore the fact there isn't enough food and add a load of new survivors to the colony, you either talk them out of it or consider the possibility they may not have the colony's best interests at heart. I'd even consider threatening them with exile if necessary!

EDIT: As pointed out above, the food issue can potentially be addressed by requesting cards from other players, but the cards must be played immediately and cannot contribute to the crisis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
On a related note - the stated action is 'request cards' but we have assumed it's OK for other players to offer suggestions.

For example if I have a spare weapon and someone is clearly wasting time rummaging for weapons in the Police Station when I'd rather they did something else, I can offer them my spare weapon card, which they can then 'request' and immediately equip, right?

In other words - we can tell each other what cards we have, if we want to. There's no rule against that that I recall?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Li
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orion3T wrote:
On a related note - the stated action is 'request cards' but we have assumed it's OK for other players to offer suggestions.

For example if I have a spare weapon and someone is clearly wasting time rummaging for weapons in the Police Station when I'd rather they did something else, I can offer them my spare weapon card, which they can then 'request' and immediately equip, right?

In other words - we can tell each other what cards we have, if we want to. There's no rule against that that I recall?

I think so. You can talk about the cards (and you can lie about it too). You just can't actually show others your cards. IIRC, the only thing you can't talk about is the secret objective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Chan
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess that makes sense. It forces players to cooperate and discuss more in order to avoid the crisis. It also adds a slight advantage to spot out a betrayer if for example: He hasn't contributed to the food or crisis, yet has 5 cards in his hand.

Quote:
A player cannot play an item card outside of his/her turn neither. (Contributing to food supply = playing the food card.) However, the current player can request food card(s) from other players to play it right away to add to the food supply.

EDIT: "Request an item (card)" is a free action. The requested card just can't be used for crisis.

That's a good way of looking at it. If player B forgets, he can always hand it to player C to be played (food cards, not crisis)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Late Night Society of Token Pushers
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
The way I see it, if I'm the betrayer, I could "forget" to contribute on my turn, thus failing it..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.