United States
OMAHA
NE
flag msg tools
LONG LIVE SAMMY!
badge
Have you read the Psion series?
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a thread on how to play? I would love to join these PBFs. Are they difficult to do? Is anyone even looking for new players (I have not played the campaigns yet, just the base game and most expansion quests) If anyone is looking for a new player but noob to PBFs, please reach out to me, coddle me, and help me learn to either help you defeat the OL or kick your butt if we're not on the same team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
duhtch
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
First thing I would recommend is to just read PBF's here. It will help you understand the game a bit better, the processes and it will improve your game overall learning from some top players throughout the world.

Second is, learning to play the advanced campaign via PBF is tough. The advanced campaign is a complete different ball of wax compared to the vanilla. When reading the PBF's, notice how players move their LT's and plan for future weeks. Spending xp is critital at the right time and moments. As the hero party, I tend to have up to 10 game weeks planned out at any given time.

Below is a really neat thread on the Blitzing tactic, often used by many experienced hero groups:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/325622/rtl-art-blitz

The basics is to get in and out, not given the OL a lot of xp. The Overlord generally wants to purchase a Silver monster group first before purchasing other stuff 95% of the time.

Here is the final FAQ:
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/descent/suppor...

Lastly, the advanced campaign is very tough and is a huge time commitment. Especially here in the PBF forums, we have games that have been lasting years. My suggestion for you is to play on the hero team with another person against the OL. If you do this, it will take even longer because the two of you need to decide what you are doing together to conquer the OL. If there is an experienced player, they can do the map updates (which take a lot of time).

If I were you and you want to learn as you possibly can, read the PBF's with Corbon, Immortal and Kartigan. The others are good too, but some tactics aren't as great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Leis
United States
Merino
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
I spent 100 GG and all I got was this stupid overtext.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Jacob, first off, welcome! Always good to have another Descent player, particularly in a small community like this one. I think that you will find that people are very helpful around here, I was in your same shoes almost exactly one year ago. I was new to PBF and looking for a game, I managed to get involved in two over the course of that time, one of which is still active (the other I conceded to Joel after it was clear his heroes were kicking my butt and I was never going to be able to turn the tables on them).

Like Joel says, the Advanced Campaigns are well, Advanced. They are not as straightforward as the base game, and take a considerably larger amount of time, but learning to play them is a very rewarding experience! I would do like he says and try to read some of the PBF games and follow along. It will help you understand both the PBF format, and the strategic and tactical choices that go into a game. I am currently involved in a game with Immortal, where I am playing as the heroes. Though the game is already started (you can find it here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/18186866#18186866 ), if you would like to follow it, I'd be happy to share my (often wrong) thought process on things if you have questions.

Regarding getting a new game going, if you hang around for a bit, I'm sure you will find an opponent. New games start up from time to time, and people are often looking for new players. If you would like help with some of the software that you need to play (like Tile System that we make the maps with) or technical stuff (like how to roll the custom Descent Dice in PBFs), please message me and I'd be happy to help you. I hope you can find a game soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Stephens
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kartigan wrote:
If you would like help with some of the software that you need to play (like Tile System that we make the maps with) or technical stuff (like how to roll the custom Descent Dice in PBFs), please message me and I'd be happy to help you. I hope you can find a game soon!

I think that's a lot of what the OP was after, and I'd certainly like more info on this side of things. I can play the games just fine (I think anyway!) but the technicality behind PBF has put me off trying to join in before now. Do you have the game set up yourselves while you play or can you do it all electronically? Do I need to check the box for "Enable Public Dice Rolls"? Do I need anything special to be able to play or can I rely on the more experienced player/PBF leader to handle that side of things?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
duhtch
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
UDF2Archeon wrote:
Kartigan wrote:
If you would like help with some of the software that you need to play (like Tile System that we make the maps with) or technical stuff (like how to roll the custom Descent Dice in PBFs), please message me and I'd be happy to help you. I hope you can find a game soon!

I think that's a lot of what the OP was after, and I'd certainly like more info on this side of things. I can play the games just fine (I think anyway!) but the technicality behind PBF has put me off trying to join in before now. Do you have the game set up yourselves while you play or can you do it all electronically? Do I need to check the box for "Enable Public Dice Rolls"? Do I need anything special to be able to play or can I rely on the more experienced player/PBF leader to handle that side of things?

I can most likely put together a good how to in the next week or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Gowans
United States
OMAHA
NE
flag msg tools
LONG LIVE SAMMY!
badge
Have you read the Psion series?
mbmbmbmbmb
duhtch wrote:
UDF2Archeon wrote:
Kartigan wrote:

I can most likely put together a good how to in the next week or so.

That would be awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Stephens
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, that would be incredible of you and I'm sure there are others who are as clueless as we are who might sign up in future!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
duhtch
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's now pinned to the top. Hopefully I didn't go into too much detail to scare you guys away Always feel free to post here or pm me to ask questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Stephens
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not scared off, thanks to the work you've put in I'm now reading up on the current PBF games since I haven't played at all for a year or so and had forgotten about things like hammer-moving other heroes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.