Suburbia Inc» Forums » General

Subject: Why not build all borders? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I find that it's generally more advantageous to build a border than it is a tile. For example, why build a lake tile when you can build a lake border for the same price?

As a result, I often end my games with 6, 8, or even more borders. The price of the borders seems exceptionally low to me so they're easy to buy. And I focus on the income generating borders early on and the reputation borders later on in the game.

It seems to me, judging from what other players say, what the images here on the forum depict, and what others report, that the number of borders I buy is excessive. I can't imagine I'm doing something wrong though. None of my borders overlap with anything, and I tend to have them sticking out diagonally away from the core of my borough, like a tree with branches growing outward. That way, they don't inhibit the growth of my borough.

So am I doing something wrong? Or missing the point? Why doesn't everyone buy as many borders as possible?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"I tend to have them sticking out diagonally away from the core of my borough, like a tree with branches growing outward"

Can you show a picture with your 8-9 borders? I feel like something is wrong there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
In our four player games we might buy three to six borders total unless there is a goal for borders. I think the most I ever bought was two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schnel wrote:
I find that it's generally more advantageous to build a border than it is a tile. For example, why build a lake tile when you can build a lake border for the same price?

As a result, I often end my games with 6, 8, or even more borders. The price of the borders seems exceptionally low to me so they're easy to buy. And I focus on the income generating borders early on and the reputation borders later on in the game.

It seems to me, judging from what other players say, what the images here on the forum depict, and what others report, that the number of borders I buy is excessive. I can't imagine I'm doing something wrong though. None of my borders overlap with anything, and I tend to have them sticking out diagonally away from the core of my borough, like a tree with branches growing outward. That way, they don't inhibit the growth of my borough.

So am I doing something wrong? Or missing the point? Why doesn't everyone buy as many borders as possible?

Do you win with this tactic? What sort of scores do you get?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
With a limited number of borders available to choose from, I would think that it is always a tactical choice as to what to build next.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I've realized since creating this post that I neglected to mention our games run longer than typical. For example, when playing with 2 players, we'll use stacks containing 18 tiles each to make for a longer, more interesting game. (I've been playing this way for so long that I've since forgotten that it's not "normal.") So don't go by my absolute numbers of borders; just my point of how borders are often a better choice than tiles, it seems.

I'll upload a picture of my next borough along with the results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I got my wife to sit down and play this afternoon. She tried to utilize my strategy but, unfortunately, she fell short this time. And, as you can see, my Christmas tree concept didn't quite pan out in this game. But I did win with a score of 227-171. (My final board is on top and hers is below that.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph M.
Germany
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With 2 players you have a maximum of 40 tiles (14 A + 12 B + 8-14 C), i.e. 17-20 per player.
In your game, you placed 25 tiles.
It seems you play with an incorrect number of tiles equaling rounds. With more than the Standard number of rounds it is no surprise you build more than the typical number of borders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris Coyote wrote:
With 2 players you have a maximum of 40 tiles (14 A + 12 B + 8-14 C), i.e. 17-20 per player.
It seems you play with an incorrect number of tiles equaling rounds. With more than the Standard number of rounds it is no surprise you build more than the typical number of borders.

Yup, that really is the answer here. With more tiles, the value of one tile synergy becomes less and the value of a border increases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Chris Coyote wrote:

Yes, I mentioned that in my earlier post. We play our 2-player games using 3 18-tile stacks. We like the longer games and more fully-developed cities.

Even so, however, it does seem to me that the borders are a steal compared to the tiles. The average cost of a border is 12.67 while the average cost of a tile is 10.22 with a weighted cost of 9.34. And the highest priced tile is 22. Compare that to the highest priced border of 18. Anyway you look at it, I think the borders are a bargain, which was really my original point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Suburbia inc the bonuses and challenges often require tile purchases; playing with the normal number if tiles in a stack, makes you have to focus your purchases in order to achieve them by the end of the A or B pile - which tends to get in the way of border purchasing.

I would be intrigued to see whether changing back to the normal number of tiles in a stack would alter your feelings on borders.

Edit: Also the A tiles are quite a lot cheaper than the borders - it takes quite a number of turns before you can even start to afford them.

Playing a much longer game due to more tiles in the stacks, will tend to mean you spend more of the game at a higher income, and thus can afford more borders proportionately.

I think if you played the normal rules you'd end up with a more normal border purchase pattern (my husband's very pro borders, but only plays about 3 max ( but averaging 2) over the course of our 2 player games)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
entwife wrote:
In Suburbia inc the bonuses and challenges often require tile purchases; playing with the normal number if tiles in a stack, makes you have to focus your purchases in order to achieve them by the end of the A or B pile - which tends to get in the way of border purchasing.

I would be intrigued to see whether changing back to the normal number of tiles in a stack would alter your feelings on borders.

Edit: Also the A tiles are quite a lot cheaper than the borders - it takes quite a number of turns before you can even start to afford them.

Playing a much longer game due to more tiles in the stacks, will tend to mean you spend more of the game at a higher income, and thus can afford more borders proportionately.

I think if you played the normal rules you'd end up with a more normal border purchase pattern (my husband's very pro borders, but only plays about 3 max ( but averaging 2) over the course of our 2 player games)

You raise good points, Kim. We've also recognized that the bonuses and challenges are geared around a fewer number of rounds and are thus a bit easier for us to accomplish given our longer games. Indeed, in some games, we don't mind missing out on them because we've had enough time to accrue a sufficient amount of income or reputation on our own.

I think I will try a game or two with the normal number of tiles just to see what that's like again.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.