Hide
17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Light-Middle weight Euro game that works well with 2 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R L
msg tools
Hey everyone, looking for a fun euro game that works well with 2 players. Some of the games that I've been considering are:

Castles of Burgundy

Rialto

Bruges

Last Will

Vikings

Saint Malo

Not sure which one to get, or if there is something better. The person I am playing with is new-ish to gaming, though she has played games ranging from entry level like Machi Koro, to games with a bit more strategy like Istanbul. We tried playing Five Tribes, but she found it to be too much of a brainburner.

Some Games that we had success with: La Isla, Rattus, Istanbul, Machi Koro w/ expansion, Forbidden Island & Desert, Ra, Stone Age

Games we did not have success with: Steam Park (felt boring), Biblios, Survive (we don't like confrontation games at all, though for some reason Rattus didn't go poorly).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
Castles of Burgundy will get a bunch of recs.

On the lighter side is Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small. Sounds like something that might fit well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Mort
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vikings is heavier, but I didn't think it felt like it. It's a game you can do okay at without too much though, but if you WANT to brainburn you can excel.

Rialto I think would be a good choice, as would Bruges.

Castles would be a step up, but it shouldn't be as rough as Five Tribes.

I haven't played St. Malo.

Last Will was okay, but I wasn't enthralled by it. Good, but there's better out there.

I would recommend:

Lords of Waterdeep
Tobago (not AS good with 2, but okay)
Lords of Vegas
Russian Railroads
Glass Road
Among the Stars

and if she liked those co-op, Pandemic of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Duplaisir
United States
Metairie
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I vote Catsles of Burgundy, Bruges, and Last Will from your list.

I would include Thebes, Alien Frontiers, Kingsburg, and Scoville.

Also, X-COM for a co-op.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe S
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short to be angry all the time. Smile and enjoy the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age

Also check out the Kosmos line of 2 player games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R L
msg tools
kamelkilla23 wrote:
I vote Catsles of Burgundy, Bruges, and Last Will from your list.

I would include Thebes, Alien Frontiers, Kingsburg, and Scoville.

Also, X-COM for a co-op.

We're not huge fans of Sci-Fi, but I am intrigued by Thebes and Kingsburg. I remember reading that Kingsburg has an essential expansion, but it seems to be out of print at my FLGC. Is it still a good buy as base only?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R L
msg tools
SuperGLS wrote:
Castles of Burgundy will get a bunch of recs.

On the lighter side is Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small. Sounds like something that might fit well.

Definitely will look into Agricola. I'm assuming this is much lighter than the original

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R L
msg tools
miami_bumm wrote:
Vikings is heavier, but I didn't think it felt like it. It's a game you can do okay at without too much though, but if you WANT to brainburn you can excel.

Rialto I think would be a good choice, as would Bruges.

Castles would be a step up, but it shouldn't be as rough as Five Tribes.

We got pandemic! Forgot to mention that! Would you recommend grabbing Rialto/Bruges before Castles? I'm eventually going to pick all of them up, but I was more looking for "the next game I should get".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R L
msg tools
ravager wrote:
Stone Age

Also check out the Kosmos line of 2 player games.

We have stone age and it was a blast! Damn, there are a ton of Kosmos games. Any specific highlights you recommend?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldfinger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Thebes

Hacienda
Africana
OddVille
Suburbia
Fresco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Dawson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruges is excellent, but might feel a bit random to someone whose heaviest game is Istanbul and the like. Last Will has a lot of iconography, but is much simpler to play, strategically. There is still luck there, but the choices and combo's are more obvious. The 'Worker Placement' element will be reminiscent of Stone Age, and it will be a good stepping stone to Bruges in the future. Also, the theme is fun!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Burgundy is... Solid, but we've really enjoyed last will these last few weeks, really really clever mechanisms,a really pleasant surprise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Mort
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
serjery wrote:
We got pandemic! Forgot to mention that! Would you recommend grabbing Rialto/Bruges before Castles? I'm eventually going to pick all of them up, but I was more looking for "the next game I should get".

Personally, I like Bruges over Rialto and Castles. If you were to weigh them, I think Rialto would be lightest, then Bruges, then Castles. Personally, Castles never quite hit that itch for me, though it was a very very good game. I just think Feld has better.

Kingsburg is a great choice! The expansion is not necessary for a while, but I do think if you play Kingsburg too much too often you could burn yourself out without the expansion. Essentially, it lets you change up a lot of preset things to keep it interesting, and then also takes out the one "luck" factor in the game. That said, the base game is very fun and an interesting take on Worker Placement. You just realize pretty quickly that everyone ends the game trying to build the church row.

EDIT: And I missed them mention, but I'll second Scoville! It was one of my favorites from this last GenCon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McClure
United States
Fowler
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the games you listed, I really like Castles.

Of the games that you mentioned having success with, I really liked Rattus(Though I think there are two player specific issues) and La Isla. I haven't managed to get La Isla to the table with my wife yet, but I think it will work well with her.

I think the game my wife most enjoys playing with me is Kingdom Builder. This one really works well with two as you play together your skills will grow at a similar rate, and that is when this one really shines. If you go to the reviews section here on bgg it may dissuade you from looking further, but this is really a great game. A lot of negative reviews mention that there are no decisions or that the game "plays itself", I think those are very misguided criticisms. There are tons of decisions, and they are packed into a game experience that is jam packed into half an hour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Connell
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of that list for 2 players, easily The Castles of Burgundy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From your list I have only played Castles. It's a very satisfying game to play. Highly recommended. If however you want a similar game (kind of) with a little more bite, see if you can get hold of a copy of Glen More. If you can only find a German version, don't fret as it's not at all text heavy. Just another idea to add to the melting pot : )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wuensche
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mb
Saint Malo is a bit lighter than the games you've found success with, but a step above Machi Koro. It does have that innovative aspect of drawing/crossing-out everything you gain or lose, but I've discovered that there aren't that many paths to victory. It's also out of print in many regions, but there are still copies out there.

Vikings is on par with the games you've played so far. The game is played over a fixed number of turns, regardless of the number of players. It does have one or two stronger strategies, which can hurt the replay value.

Castles is that rare Euro that plays perfectly at two. It's also had a wide print run and costs less than many of its competitors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.