Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since moving, I haven't found a gaming group. I still buy new games on occasion but I am not in a rush to open them. I bought a game to play with my son this week and a few pieces were missing. It was from a major publisher, so a quick email fixed the problem, but I started thinking about it.

What do you all do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I open all new games now and take inventory. I also determine if I want to sleeve it, and if so how many I need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Insofar as I usually only buy games to play them, yes. It's not common for me to buy a game and wait a substantial amount of time to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger miller
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
No. Unfortunately I have games still unplayed from many years ago. But I am not a collector preserving them in this state. just buy too many games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffen Eichenberg
Germany
Bretten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How do you manage to NOT open them? The smell of fresh cards, the feeling of punching out chits, all those colorful wooden cubes ... You must be a person of incredibly strong willpower.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, I usually do this. I opened Agricola and RC right when I got them to check, though I didn't count EVERY card, as I find that a bit much. But I at least count the wooden bits and such. I think those might affect the game when I play, whereas missing a card or two here or there isn't too big a deal.

The only time I might not do this is if everything looks fully sealed and glancing at the pieces looks like its enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick somers
United States
wyandotte
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes...then I bag and sleeve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
I buy games that are going to be played, so it is natural to open them immediately after reception, punch the boards, read the rules, possibly sleeve the cards, so that the game is ready to be played during the next session with the players the game was bought to be played with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Yates
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used too, but now I have so many games and many unplayed games that I've found it's best to keep them in the shrink in case they go oop and I might want to sell it for more cash. People love buying NIS oop games and will pay top dollar for one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yatescory wrote:
I used too, but now I have so many games and many unplayed games that I've found it's best to keep them in the shrink in case they go oop and I might want to sell it for more cash. People love buying NIS oop games and will pay top dollar for one.

I generally tend towards this as well. But after opening my copy Dominion Guilds today to find doubles of the first half of the alphabet and none of the middle ones, I may revise that idea and join the "it's verified complete and all the punching and sorting is already done so that is a value add" school of thought...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eva
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is always, and I really mean always, something missing or broken in every game I buy. Hence I always open right away. If I wait I can't make a complaint to get the game complete.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I open every game and confirm all bits are there, even if it's not making it to the table right away. Since most of the games I like are so component-heavy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
God Bless the USA
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's a kickstarter game, then ABSOLUTELY..... Too many of those are missing all kinds of stuff...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger miller
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
How do I not manage to not open them and revel in the smell of new cards, maps etc. Well.....

I am a publisher. I have game parts everywhere around the house. Thousands of them. It always smells like new game day at my place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
badge
EZ FLASH 3 FTW
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the company. If its a notorious company like Queen Games then I will check but a company like GMT I will trust them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Radcliffe
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I buy a lot of second-hand games, and these get checked upon receipt.

Kickstarter games have to be checked, as they're often put together by friends and family, as well as well meaning six year olds in foreign climes.

And new games? Of course I do, after all, when I buy a new game I'll be playing it within days (if not that night), so I want to know it's complete.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scameronde wrote:
How do you manage to NOT open them? The smell of fresh cards, the feeling of punching out chits, all those colorful wooden cubes ... You must be a person of incredibly strong willpower.

I considered mentioning this in my original post. I absolutely do not enjoy cataloging, putting into better bags, etc. I enjoy the games, but I am just not one who particularly cares about components and sorting. Maybe at one point, but not anymore : ).

I buy a lot of games to hopefully play one day with my son(who recently turned 7), so I am not in a rush to open some of the games.. but this recent experience(and ones in the past) have had me think about whether I should push myself to open the games that I haven't unpacked yet...just in case vital components are missing!

With trades or buys from the marketplace, I immediately open them and count. Too often there are pieces missing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lockard
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes! Got burned when I didn't open a copy of Stone Age for months. The tiles were noticeably printed off the punch lines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise McCully
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely. Doesn't happen often that there is something missing, I think maybe 4-5 times so far for me.

I work in manufacturing so I know even with the best quality assurance procedures errors can be made. Look at airlines they have an excellent record for getting luggage to destination, 99% successful. Pity 1% represents a at least 6 figure number of bags that don't get home exactly on time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
I do open all new games immediately, punch everything out and go through it. I don't explicitly check for missing components in the sense of counting every card and token, but I look through it well enough that I'm sure I'd notice if something was amiss.

I'm also in the "buy games to play them" camp, though. I don't buy anything with the intention of trading or reselling. On very rare occasion it has happened, but it wasn't my intention when I bought it. =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Dawson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zombie plumber wrote:
yes...then I bag and sleeve

Yes, and this. I only sleeve when I deem appropriate though and not every game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't inherently check for missing pieces, but with every new game I go through the components list and "check off" everything. This becomes difficult with rulebooks that don't have a component overview or that don't have pictures of the components *coughamongthestarscough*.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like to break the seal and let the new game fairy out of the package until the last possible moment.

Pete (has dozens of games still in shrink)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
I don't like to break the seal and let the new game fairy out of the package until the last possible moment.

Pete (has dozens of games still in shrink)

Same with me. I may decide to trade them instead of keeping them and they're obviously worth more if they're still sealed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stewi wrote:
I do open all new games immediately, punch everything out and go through it. I don't explicitly check for missing components in the sense of counting every card and token, but I look through it well enough that I'm sure I'd notice if something was amiss.

I'm also in the "buy games to play them" camp, though. I don't buy anything with the intention of trading or reselling. On very rare occasion it has happened, but it wasn't my intention when I bought it. =)

Oh, I intend to play them. However, some are to be played in the future with my son when he gets older, if he has interest. The others are for when I find another gaming group. I used to run my own group for 5 years before moving many states away last year. It'll take a while before I am back in that setting again. The risk of not getting a game quickly is that some fall out of print and never come back. Games like relatively recently released Ginkgopolis.

I don't intend to resell unless I can't trade a game for multiple years. It really comes from laziness and the unenjoyment I personally get from unwrapping, sorting, and counting pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.