Popular Tags: [View All]
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Woot! MY grail game!!!!

Yes, that's an in-shrink copy that I just picked up a few hours ago at an amazing price. Thank you so much, Robert, for selling that to me.

I am picking up a a second, opened but unplayed copy in March for a friend up the street.

Now, let's get this open and on the table!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nagato Fujibayashi

Athens
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
excellent, waiting for your first impression!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played before, and owned a copy briefly when it first came out (why I traded it then I'll never know). It's one of the most brilliant games I've ever played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janelle Cooper
United States
Mound Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
"Hardships often prepare ordinary people for an extaordinary destiny." C.S. Lewis
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And damn it ... I just (perfectly cleanly) snapped off the map section with the legend on it. Apparently, the seams aren't very well reinforced. I have black book binding tape to repair it, but it happened just as I was explaining to my son how careful you have to be with mounted maps.

I. Am. A. Bungling. Idiot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Hahn
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, David, how careful DO you have to be with mounted maps?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
roberthahn wrote:
So, David, how careful DO you have to be with mounted maps?

You do want to be invited down the street to actually play, right? devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Brother" Eicher
United States
Lima
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:
I just (perfectly cleanly) snapped off the map section with the legend on it.

Reading that made me physically sick. My heart goes out to you. I can't imagine that happening to my copy. I think I'd weep large manly tears.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Bob
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations on the acquisition.

Sorry to hear about the accident. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Silverman
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone else's copy did the same thing, a while back. Mine is still thankfully unbroken, but it definitely is an issue that can befall copies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Shelley
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in. - Unknown
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:
And damn it ... I just (perfectly cleanly) snapped off the map section with the legend on it. Apparently, the seams aren't very well reinforced. I have black book binding tape to repair it, but it happened just as I was explaining to my son how careful you have to be with mounted maps.

That is why you buy a spare!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nagato Fujibayashi

Athens
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trebormills wrote:
sadly no NT or BatM

For BaM let's hope that at least the 2nd edition is on the way, I would happily preorder it. I am not sure it's out of reality to still hope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Labelle
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:
And damn it ... I just (perfectly cleanly) snapped off the map section with the legend on it. Apparently, the seams aren't very well reinforced. I have black book binding tape to repair it...

I had an old Avalon Hill "Stalingrad" game with a split board . I took it to a Book Binder and she did an amazing job fixing it.
You may want to consider employing a professional before attempting the repair yourself.
It was really worth it for me. Still using that board after twenty years of play and no issues.
You have my sympathies. Dumb luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn Smith
England
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
"We don't see things as they are, but as we are." Anais Nin
mbmbmbmbmb
ENVY... gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S.
United States
Miniapples
Minisoda
flag msg tools
01010011 01001000 01000001 01001100 01001100 00100000 01010111 01000101 00100000 01010000 01001100 01000001 01011001 00100000 01000001 00100000 01000111 01000001 01001101 01000101 00111111
mbmbmbmbmb
thechangingman wrote:
ENVY... gulp
A "NIS at a nice price" post does seem a bit like gloating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Russian battalion in my Turning Point: Stalingrad was folded in the middle. I left it on the edge of a plastic case, and when I forced the lid shut... snap! I am still eatten by guilt whenever I walk pass the shelve where I keep the game. And no, I didn't say it in an ironic tone. zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Map repaired with some archival book tape and looking good. Still feel like an idiot.

Second game on the table. The French have suffered a bit of a defeat in their centre-right flank near Robelnitz, but are pushing hard on their left flank.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn Smith
England
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That looks absolutely compelling - great pic...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manu
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
I am not a cyborg!
mbmbmbmbmb
That map... is what made me fall instantly in love with the game. I mean hopelessly, unconditionally infatuated till-death-do-us-part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn Smith
England
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should un-subscribe from the feed for this game as I am getting absolutely FIXATED about getting a copy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Brother" Eicher
United States
Lima
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't do that. Just get a copy of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn Smith
England
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brothereicher wrote:
Don't do that. Just get a copy of the game.

I am working on it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:

I snapped mine at the same place today, when I tried to bend the board a little backwards to make it stay flat. I hate these mounted maps which don't stay flat. NT's boards are just like those from GMT. Avalon Hill boards from the 80s are way, way better. They actually stay flat, which should be the point of having a mounted board. I just taped it, since it snapped on the backside, so luckily it doesn't affect gameplay. Still a great game, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.