Kevin Jeffrey
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

2 Players | Ages 12 and up | 30 mins

Rules | Cards

I had the idea for this game last year and posted a WIP thread; however, the game mechanics changed significantly earlier this year into a new game. I'd still like to develop my initial version, but the design for this version progressed more.

Nummernfeld is a two-player game played on a grid of double sided cards. Players take turns performing two actions, then moving their wood tokens from one number to the next in descending numerical order. The first player to place their tokens onto the blank spaces, wins the game.

Components
E 25 Nummernfeld cards
E 10 wood tokens (5 each of different colours)
E Rules

Black & White Cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Nummernfeld - 2015 Two-Player PNP Game Design Contest (Prototype Phase)
like the look so far
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jeffrey
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Nummernfeld - 2015 Two-Player PNP Game Design Contest (Prototype Phase)
Thanks Todd, I really appreciate it. I'm not a graphic designer, and my knowledge of Photoshop and Illustrator is limited. I'm learning though. I do take some inspiration from your designs and re-designs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jeffrey
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Here is an example of one of the prototype Nummernfeld cards I've been working on. The large numbers on the cards represent the points that get collected, and the small numbers show the values on the opposite side of the card (double-sided cards).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jeffrey
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I've been work on are my second edition of prototype cards, as the first were a simple numbers and line design. I figured I'd play around with Photoshop while I edited the number pairings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jeffrey
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing around with my Action cards trying to determine that right combo of cards in the grid to affect while maintain enough variety. Also I'm debating whether to have the action cards use a "take action-claim points-take action" you randomize it a bit more like "claim points-take action-take action". With only 16 Action cards I want there to be enough tough decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Boyd
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking forward to trying this out when you have a complete set. I really like the color scheme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jeffrey
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comment, Gary. I should have the cards and an updated rule set up on Saturday. Hopefully, I can get some more playtests in, but being Valentines this weekend, it may not happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jeffrey
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have added a new rules document, and two PDF's, one with the colour version, the other is black & white.

The game is now ready for play testing. I appreciate any and all feed back as this is one of the first games I've designed. I will keep you up-to-date on my own personal plays and what I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jeffrey
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I play tested Nummernfeld today. Our game took 30 minutes to complete, which is where I wanted it to be. Like the first time I played a version of the game, it just seems to be missing that something. It plays well enough, but it's lacking strategy until the last few Numbers that need to be scored. My addition of blank locations has helped because you want to avoid giving your opponent free points.

We are going to give it a few more plays before I change anything. At the moment I really don't have a clue what to change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jeffrey
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo play tested with a few new rules. I think the new additions are getting me closer to how I'd like the game to play. I haven't updated the available rules PDF yet.

I added in pieces, 3 per player. Each player has two action points to use per turn to move pieces, or flip, pivot, or shift cards. You are moving your pieces from number to number, going from 6 down to 0. First player to get 3 pieces to a zero location wins.

From my original rules I've removed the action cards and the point accumulation. I'm also thinking of adding more cards to the Nummernfeld, to create a 4x4 grid or 5x5 grid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jeffrey
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally got to get another solo play test in. I think I'm going to go done the route of moving the tokens around the Nummernfeld rather than collecting points. The game is starting to have the light strategy I was looking for. It still needs a little bit more refining; and I need to see if growing the card grid to 4x4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jeffrey
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally got back to play testing. My regular career has been super busy lately, and I'm happy to get back to my design. I made some significant changes over the weekend and made a new prototype. Tonight I played a game with my wife. She was surprised with the changes, however, she still liked the first version I did.

She liked this version which was more "thinky" than expected. One of the changes I had made was giving the players two action points to use prior to piece movement. The two actions felt just shy of a sweet spot. My wife suggested either adding a third action, or allow players to action-move pieces-action-move pieces. My wife suggested we try both next game.

We played the 3x3 grid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jeffrey
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've taken my Rules and Cards docs down temporarily as they've changed I have to make some edits to the main documents. I'll get them up as soon as I can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls