Subject: Rome will be victorious...history will repeat itself rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Speed Racer
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
I have found by playing Rome and being victorious that Rome is extremely hard to stop. There might be a way, but I believe history is going to repeat itself.

Here is what happened.

Rounds 1-3 Greece and the East fought a war against each other to a stalemate buying Rome enought time to get going. As this happened Rome's power base started increasing as they began building cities on the Italian penninsula and increasing their legions. By turn 3 Rome collected twice as many T's as Carthage. From there Rome built more legions, gallies to attack by sea and conquered Sicily, the Danube and headed toward Gaul and Hispania. In turns 3-5 Rome defeated Carthage one on one on all fronts and by turn 6 took her capital. She turned on Greece and Asia Minor in turns 7-10 and by then it was too late for anybody to stop her. Victory!

Greece cannont fight a 2 front war with Rome and the East. Carthage cannont beat Rome one on one. The East is a non-factor against Rome.

The Roman player decides his own fate, but history will usually repeat itself...

I look for strategies to beat Rome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Randall
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Speed Racer wrote:
Greece cannont fight a 2 front war with Rome and the East. Carthage cannont beat Rome one on one. The East is a non-factor against Rome.

The Roman player decides his own fate, but history will usually repeat itself...

That's fascinating - mostly I've heard that Rome has very little or no chance of matching its historical success in this game.

I don't agree that Carthage can't defeat Rome on its own - I think they could have historically, and I think they can in Pax. The navy is crucial.

But let's find out from others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Marinozzi
Italy
Livorno
flag msg tools
In our game, now in the middle of turn 4, Rome is way behind in victory points, having conquered Gaul (not Britain) and 2-3 provinces of Illiria; their power base is beginning to grow and a couple of skirmishes against Chartage in Hispania demonstate that Rome is a terrible foe in combat.

I suppose that the next turns will see a resurgence of Rome in victory points but seems that this makes the game mmore balanced

We'll see

Carlo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard H. Berg
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
When we recently asked which Powers players were winning with, we got a very wide, and fairly even, spread of results. Anecdotal, to be sure . . . but revaltory.

PAX is a game in which success is mucg dependent on one's style of play and approach to interaction with other players.

RHB
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Payne
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
How often did Greece win? At least a few Im sure. I would love to see those results, are they posted somewhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
mbmbmbmbmb
The games we have had rome can be extremely powerful, but only if they are left alone. THey are the only power late game that can match defeat two players at once in battle. Thanks to their LG and manpower limits, but again carthage can simply use their navy to stop them coming accross. We generally try to raid rome a lot in our games and card targeting (like tribal resurgence) can stop them in the short term.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael @mgouker
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Colin is exactly correct. You have to make a concerted effort to keep Rome down.

William, Greece is ahead in Paxr-101, closely followed by the East. In Paxr-102, Greece is winning by 3 pts, followed by Carthage. In Paxr-103, Greece is in 2nd place and Carthage is first. In Paxr-BGG1, Greece is behind only Rome, though East is making a great move forward tis turn. Paxr-105 has only just started.

In my face-to-face games since release, these are the results:

Greece has won 1
East has won 2
Rome has won 1
Carthage has won 2 (one was Scenario 6)

This is not very scientific at all, because behind each of these sides there is a face and a story. In any case, I don't think it's easy for any side. New players have more difficulty than experienced players and that skews things as well. Also, it would be real helpful to know the scores too, but that would be guesswork at this point. For the online games, we will know the scores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Marinozzi
Italy
Livorno
flag msg tools
End of turn 5 now, Rome pushed into Hispania and destroyed completely the main carthaginian army (40 BP), now, with two activations left, Rome can virtually conquer all of Hispania.

In combat the romans are nearly unstoppable, but a slow start can hinder them in victory points; we'll see, I'm (Greece) probably the next target.

Carlo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Payne
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
We are starting another face to face game today. I am playnig Greece. We are using advanced rules, scenario 6. We will play 5 turns today and the last 5 next weekend. The time for talk is over. Ill get more pictures of our new board and try to write a review of my own. I have never written one before about any game, cant think of a game I'd rather write about other than Pax.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.