Imperial Settlers» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Barbarians too strong? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Nikou
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there. My gaming group has recently played some games (3p and 2p) and our scores range from 90ish to 130ish, most of the times being around 100 and something. However, we noticed that Barbarians, using cards from the expansion, tend to break 150 points, while other factions couldn't manage to do so. Do you think their mechanism is kinda broken? I do not believe it's about personal playskill, all 3 of us managed to score around 160 points with them, so what do you believe? Have you noticed anything similar?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Do we have a full set yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn T
United States
Medford
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Always!
mbmbmbmbmb
I apologize for momentarily hijacking the thread, but I noticed that your scores are very impressive all around. I'm in the States, where we still don't have Why Can't We Be Friends, so I'm curious: Did you find that your scores tend to go up with the expansion?

I might be a lousy player with the base game (avg 75-80), but I'm guessing that the increased production potentials help the cultures increase development. Thoughts?

Again, sorry for the temporary highjack. I can't speak to your question until I get the expansion sometime in March. (Boo.)

Morgen wrote:
Hey there. My gaming group has recently played some games (3p and 2p) and our scores range from 90ish to 130ish, most of the times being around 100 and something. However, we noticed that Barbarians, using cards from the expansion, tend to break 150 points, while other factions couldn't manage to do so. Do you think their mechanism is kinda broken? I do not believe it's about personal playskill, all 3 of us managed to score around 160 points with them, so what do you believe? Have you noticed anything similar?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally love the barbarians mostly bc you will rarely have a bad game with them. I do not think they are too strong, but I'm only playing the base set (avg: ~100-120). They are definitely the easiest to use. Can't wait for the expansion state side
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Nikou
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Concerning the expansion, the biggest changes came with the new faction cards. Open production cards really help a lot (especially the Egyptian treasury), but there are some unique effects as well. Take Roman New City for example. In 2-3 cases, i was fortunate enough to build this as my first or second faction building, and this paid off by supplying me with precious pink workers which are rare in this faction. Edit: my mate just scored 221 points with barbs 5 mins ago, argh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff C
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The pen is mightier than a really small, blunt, and foam covered sword.
mbmbmbmbmb
Man my wife and I must really suck, we tend to only score in the 30's. I wonder if we're scoring the game wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geek Scribe wrote:
Man my wife and I must really suck, we tend to only score in the 30's. I wonder if we're scoring the game wrong.

That is incredibly low. Do you score 2 points for every faction location and 1 point for every common location you have at the end of the game? That should account for more than 30 points right there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Honig
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More relevantly, are you taking the rewards from production and feature buildings immediately as soon as you build them? Playing that rule wrong has tended to cause lower scores than anything else in my experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven smolders
Belgium
Heist-op-den-Berg
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
Love to play boardgames with my family and spending time toghter
mbmbmbmbmb
Geek Scribe wrote:

Well we have scores between 40 - 80 points with 2 players,so i guess we are bad players aswel since alot of ppl seem to always score around 100 points or more.

But hey it doesn't matter as long as your having fun playing the game with each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles (Che) Han
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
wolverine1977 wrote:
Geek Scribe wrote:

Well we have scores between 40 - 80 points with 2 players,so i guess we are bad players aswel since alot of ppl seem to always score around 100 points or more.

But hey it doesn't matter as long as your having fun playing the game with each other.

Thats about the same as what me and my wife are getting. Im not sure how people are getting 100+ when the scoreboard can only track to 100. If the score track is only design to track up to 100 points then surely "they" are the ones playing it wrong or there is a serious design flaw.

Also I didn't find barbs that strong at all esp when romans build Engineers (spend 2 works to remove one enemy building from the game. Additionally, gain 1 point) in the first round then its pretty much gg.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Honig
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The scoreboard is admittedly a bit lacking.

It's definitely possible to score above 100 in the base game, and even higher with the expansion that basically adds more resources to the game faster. If you're stumped on how people are scoring well, there're some good guides in the strategy forum to point you in the right direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N R
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andarel wrote:
More relevantly, are you taking the rewards from production and feature buildings immediately as soon as you build them? Playing that rule wrong has tended to cause lower scores than anything else in my experience.

I just realized last night that was one of a few major rules we have been playing wrong. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My average with the friend I've played with is around 45-60. We know the rules, but we're still learning all the factions, so that's probably part of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.