Matt Fullenwider
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
I'm not a moccodity!
mbmbmbmbmb
I see we now have a picture of this expansion posted. So what are the rules for this expansion? How does it work? Anyone played this yet? How much does it add to the game? Inquiring minds want to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Furlong
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I slightly embarrassed to say it (especially since I posted the photo), but I have no clue. I just got the spielbox magazine today in the mail, but I don’t read German well. Plus, I’m just about to head out of town so I don’t have time to poke around with it. Hopefully some of our more bilingual peers will post a summary / translation of the rules by the time I get back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
See http://boardgamegeek.com/article/1132586#1132586 if approved by the admins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Fullenwider
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
I'm not a moccodity!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review Ponton. I've got a couple questions though. Once the rider has been taken by another player, another can steal it by simply completing a route without taking a carriage? This means it's quite possible that the rider might be stolen from you before you could could even you him, right? Also, the second (or more) role you get from spending letters still has to be used during the proper phase, right? (i.e. Taking two cards or flushing the cards must still be done BEFORE playing a card to your route.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Yes, the messenger might be stolen from you even before you could use him. You may use it only if you already possessed it at the beginning of your turn (obviously, as you get him after scoring and scoring ends your turn). Therefore it's very important to well decide when to refuse to take a carriage. If it's obvious that your opponent(s) will do so, don't do yourself now or don't even finish now. That's the hard decision you have to take and that's what makes this expansion that interesting. In the beginning of the game you'll rather don't take messenger at all as everyone tends to quickly finish his/her routes and this would favour last player most (as he already possesses 3 letters from the beginning in a 4p game!). Play it and see which way fits you better!

2. It's not explicitly written in the expansion rules, but that means that you're right: You may not take cards after you played one. So the additional roles have to be used in the proper phases, as you say. But, of course, you may do the following: Take one card. If no other card fits your plan, replace all of them. If there now is a card you like, use letters to get it. That's a nice new feature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Hunt
United States
Bellingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ponton wrote:
2. It's not explicitly written in the expansion rules, but that means that you're right: You may not take cards after you played one. So the additional roles have to be used in the proper phases, as you say. But, of course, you may do the following: Take one card. If no other card fits your plan, replace all of them. If there now is a card you like, use letters to get it. That's a nice new feature.

"Der Amtmann kann nun auch eingesetzt werden, nachdem der Spieler eine oder zwei Karten gezogen hat." So you can use the power of additional roles after you've taken cards. I'm not sure, but that suggests that you could take two cards, play one, use 2 Adelsbriefe, and then play another, and then use 2 more and flush the cards . . .

The issue is that each of the guys allows a particular variation to the standard "draw 1, play 1" mechanism:

- one lets you take a second card, when you take cards;
- one lets you play a second card, when you play cards;
- one lets you clear the board, normally prior to doing anything else;
and
- one lets you use the cartwright.

In many games I've seen the end play be cartwright-based, which means that the player must set up to take one, play one on the last turn - but with this variant, it will now be possible to use one of the other Amtsmänner and then 2 letters to use the cartwright as well. One more thing to watch out for.

Walter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
The English rules are online now:

http://www.spielbox.de/pdf/kurier_eng.pdf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.