Michael Becker
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

Just got my copy of Shear Panic. I can't wait to try it out tonight.

Reading the rules through I noticed two items which seem to be blunders/typos and one clarification which may not be so clear?

Page 8 - second column - sentence 3.

According to the example the yellow and red lambs are moving to the right... So I would assume the sentence should say - "He slams the sheep in the middle row to the right." (not to the left)

Page 5 - The colored wheel symbol seems to have the same description as the circle with the diagonal line through it.

I would estimate the explanation is appropriate for the circle with diagonal line.

I would also estimate the colored wheel indicates you can move any sheep with this action. Could someone please verify this?

Page 7 - resolving the flock seems a tad unclear. It looks like another poster has already found clarification in a different thread.

It might be good if Mayfair could post some kind of official addendum or link here on this site.

Thanks,
Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Haas
United States
Edgewood
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Shear Panic - Mayfair ed oh oh - where was the proof rea
Michael Becker wrote:

Page 5 - The colored wheel symbol seems to have the same description as the circle with the diagonal line through it.

I would estimate the explanation is appropriate for the circle with diagonal line.

I would also estimate the colored wheel indicates you can move any sheep with this action. Could someone please verify this?

No, that's not correct. The colored wheel is similar to the circle with the diagonal line, but not identical.

For the circle with the diagonal line, you can not use this move to reverse the previous player's move.

For the colored wheel, you can not use this move to reverse the previous player's move, unless the previous player rolled the lamb slam die, in which case, the restriction is removed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Glenn
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Eric Haas wrote:

No, that's not correct. The colored wheel is similar to the circle with the diagonal line, but not identical.

For the circle with the diagonal line, you can not use this move to reverse the previous player's move.

For the colored wheel, you can not use this move to reverse the previous player's move, unless the previous player rolled the lamb slam die, in which case, the restriction is removed.

Oh really?

I had assumed, like the previous poster, that the colored wheel meant you could move any colored sheep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Haas
United States
Edgewood
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephen Glenn wrote:

I had assumed, like the previous poster, that the colored wheel meant you could move any colored sheep.

Moves without the little sheep's head symbol are either applied to an entire row (or column, or diagonal), or the entire herd. There are no moves that can be applied to an individual sheep other than your own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Glenn
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Eric Haas wrote:
Stephen Glenn wrote:

Moves without the little sheep's head symbol are either applied to an entire row (or column, or diagonal), or the entire herd. There are no moves that can be applied to an individual sheep other than your own.

Okay, but when moving an entire row, the rules indicate that you "push" with an outside sheep -- which can be any color, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Haas
United States
Edgewood
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephen Glenn wrote:
Okay, but when moving an entire row, the rules indicate that you "push" with an outside sheep -- which can be any color, right?

You can look at it that way.

The other way to look at it is, you are sliding the entire row as a unit, rather than pushing with an individual sheep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bas van der Meer
Netherlands
Oegstgeest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Haas wrote:
Stephen Glenn wrote:

You can look at it that way.

The other way to look at it is, you are sliding the entire row as a unit, rather than pushing with an individual sheep.

No, you have to "push" with an outside sheep, because, if there is a gap in the row, the sheep after the gap don't move. (if you slide the entire row, than the gap and the sheep behind the gap would slide with it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Campbell
United States
Augusta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ok I'm confused..I'm canceling my order and buying something else...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Shear Panic - Mayfair Ed Not So "oh oh"
Michael, your answer is in short version on the back cover, where the symbols are briefly defined. The full version of these descriptions is on page 5. Here's a quick take:
- Colored pie symbol: You cannot normally reverse the previous player's action, but you MAY reverse the action if a sheep panic roll happened at the end of the previous player's turn.
- "No" symbol: You may not reverse the previous player's action (with or without a sheep panic roll).

It appears that you are correct that the example on page 8 should read "slams the sheep to the RIGHT." I'll let our rules guru make the official call, but I sure see it as you do. (Phooey!)

On your page 7 question, I'm not sure what is unclear, so I can't address that one.

As far as the other responses in the thread, everyone seems to have the right idea, albeit from different directions.
- A line or diagonal push is from any outside edge/corner (depending on the action chosen). The color of the sheep belonging to that edge or corner is irrelevant.
- Ewe Turn and Wool Rule applies to the whole flock.
- Pushes and slams both handle spaces similarly; to quote page 6: "If there is a space in the row or column then the sheep beyond the space do not move."

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Becker
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Alex,

Thanks for the rule clarifications. I will have to try the game again with the proper ruleset now!!! It is good to know customer support is actively involved on this site!!

Take care,
Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Baker
United States
Ocean Springs
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Games with dragons, spaceships, and bears aren’t wargames. Call them conquest games or strategy games or crap but they aren’t wargames.
mbmbmbmbmb
AlexYeager wrote:
It appears that you are correct that the example on page 8 should read "slams the sheep to the RIGHT." I'll let our rules guru make the official call, but I sure see it as you do. (Phooey!)
Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games

In the for what its worth column couldn't the original wording "to the left" be referring to the yellow sheep which happens to be on the left side of the red sheep?

In any event perhaps "He slams the "yellow" sheep, in the middle row, to the right" would be better wording.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.