13 Posts

Mage Wars Arena» Forums » General

Subject: Mage wars arena rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Brown
msg tools
Let's talk about this.

When will this be released in North America? (I know February, but early, mid or late?)

Is the stray wood forest arena a board or a playmat?

Do you need this core set to play battlegrounds?

Maybe you guys have more questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kidd
United States
Thomasville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These questions have all been answered elsewhere, but they are spread around a little. So, for your benefit:

They are trying for a March/April release last we heard.
The new arena will be provided as a board with the new set and also as a separate playmat purchase option.
You will need a core set to play with the battlegrounds expansion, but not necessarily the new core set. There aren't any significant changes to this set to encourage people to buy it unless they were wanting extra cards. The changes are basically just cosmetic, including:

New spellbook art
New arena art and design to fit into smaller box
Smaller box
Updated card text to include errata
Alternate art for some spells
Some extra copies of some spells they felt were underrepresented in previous core sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On a slightly side note, I am confused with their terminology when they describe the upcoming Battlregrounds Academy to be "forward compatible." Any ideas what this means? Also, didn't realize a core set would be required for Battleground, would this mean the classic core or the arena core or either? Edit, this does make sense because Battlegrounds is a variant expansion that requires either flavor of core to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kidd
United States
Thomasville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The classic core and the arena core are the same thing. Arena is just their new name for the normal game play mode that we've been playing up until this point to distinguish it from other game modes. The new core set only really has minor cosmetic changes and a few extra copies of cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian George
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
m4rtst3r wrote:
On a slightly side note, I am confused with their terminology when they describe the upcoming Battlegrounds to be "forward compatible." Any ideas what this means? Also, didn't realize a core set would be required for Battleground, would this mean the classic core or the arena core or either?

I thought it was academy that was forward compatible, and battlegrounds was the multiplayer and game modes expansion?
Academy was a reduced rule set, but all the cards work in the full game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Brosman
United States
Roanoke
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Academy is designed to be forward compatible into Mage Wars Arena.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I'm sorry, I meant Acadamey, not Battlegrounds. So Academey is meant to be forward compatable with Arena which is the same thing as saying backward compatible with classic core? I get what all of you guys are saying, I just don't get the forward compatibility with a past product. Doesn't make sense to me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kidd
United States
Thomasville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What they mean by forwards compatible is that all of the cards in Academy will be usable in Arena (ie normal) Mage Wars, but not all of the cards previously released for Arena (ie normal) Mage Wars will be usable in Academy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like a lot of development and production effort going in to things which deliver not much to the existing player base. I can understand their desire to get more people in to the game but do wonder how far Academy will do this - the original base set was already a pretty accessible entry point for those likely to be interested in this type of game.

Roll on Battlegrounds and the Palladin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
domus_ludorum wrote:
It seems like a lot of development and production effort going in to things which deliver not much to the existing player base. I can understand their desire to get more people in to the game but do wonder how far Academy will do this - the original base set was already a pretty accessible entry point for those likely to be interested in this type of game.

Agreed. They obviously have a vision, I doubt it will impact the bottom line though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zub3ri wrote:
What they mean by forwards compatible is that all of the cards in Academy will be usable in Arena (ie normal) Mage Wars, but not all of the cards previously released for Arena (ie normal) Mage Wars will be usable in Academy.

Thanks, now it makes sense. Sometimes I gotta have it spell out for me!

Although I gotta admit it seems like they are misusing the terminology. Seems like the new product (Academy) is backward compatable with the old product (core), but I'm probably just being obtuse or overly particular.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Brown
msg tools
Zub3ri, where did you hear March/April release?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kidd
United States
Thomasville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
domus_ludorum wrote:

Not only will it be a cheaper and easier entry point for new players, it will also be more portable and play quicker which are two things I have heard complained about multiple times. So, I think Academies will be very popular actually.

Roblems wrote:
Zub3ri, where did you hear March/April release?

With a search of these forums I was able to find all of the answers requested, but they are spread around a good bit. That particular tidbit can be found here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.