Portugal
Vieira de Leiria
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Hi geeks,

I've been trying to introduce my girlfriend and some of her friends (which are all non-gamers) into the world of board games.

They seem to like LA STRADA, THURN UND TAXIS and LOST CITIES.
I've recently bought FOR SALE, but i haven't played it yet with them.

I want to buy another game. A game that's less a card game and more a board game. I'm thinking about TICKET TO RIDE. But i would like to ear more suggestions.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
I have become my own island state. A ravaged, war-torn land where nothing grows and the horizons are bleak.
mb
Ticket to Ride is ok. It can be played with only 2 and as many as 6 (I think, maybe only 5). I don't find Ticket to Ride to be a good springboard into other, better eurogames.

I think the quintessential family game and intro to bigger, better games is Settlers of Catan. It only plays 3-4, but it's perfect for non-gamers. Grandma can play it after a 2 minute rules-over.

I'm just saying.

-goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Olson
United States
Auburn
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hee hee. I am going to say the EXACT opposite as Goo.

I would say Ticket to Ride is the better of the 2 games. It is simple, and fun.

I found Settlers to be dull, and I think people understand TTR easier.

My favorite game to draw new people in is Blokus. I have yet to find anybody who doesn't understand, or enjoy the game. I think I've sold almost 10 new copies of the game after they played it with me. Maybe i should charge a commission...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Wills
Australia
Panania
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fs1973 wrote:
I want to buy another game. A game that's less a card game and more a board game. I'm thinking about TICKET TO RIDE. But i would like to ear more suggestions.

Ticket to Ride is the best option I can think of.

Blokus is also a very good option, but only if you have exactly 4 players.

Settlers is a little more complex than TtR, but worth checking out too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP LaChance
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TTR would be an excellent choice.

JP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Spence
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Quicksand by Fantasy Flight. It's easy, quick to learn, quick to play for up to 5 players and retails about $20 (US) less then Ticket to Ride
Games last about 30min which is good for an audience of non-gamers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Paul
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
A few unmentioned possibilities for in-print games, less than 1 hour to play, can go 4 players, and you would probably be fine introducing to non-gamers.

10 Days in Europe
Alhambra
Attika
Blokus or Blokus Trigon
Bohnanza
Carcassonne (original version, leave the add-ons for later)
Ingenious (play 4 player as teams)

and one card game to throw in:
Poison

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Kelley
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll put my vote in for TtR. 10 Days in USA or Africa are also good suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you can go wrong with Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride, or Settlers of Catan. All three of those would probably work well. My personal preference would be for Carcassonne as the best of the three, but they each have their own merits, and all are worth checking out so you can decide amongst them for yourself, at least that narrows the field of choices down considerably

These are the three games pictured by Boardgame News in their "Welcome to the World of Boardgames" screen after all (http://www.boardgamenews.com/index.php/boardgamenews/C80/)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marena Tiano
United States
Arlington
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently Pirate's Cove has been a hit among a mixed group of players. Also, Diamant, Atlantic Star and Ra are all popular. For something completely different, you might try Shadows over Camelot or one of the LOTR cooperative games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Frantz
United States
Wenatchee
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The womenfolk dig Carcassonne. (yeah, I could qualify that, but c'mon, then it wouldn't be the internet). It can really start to drag with more than 3 or 4 though, so if you find yourself with more than 4, you should have Bohnanza as the back-up plan.

HOWEVER!!! THE most important thing to keep in mind when introducing games to non-gamers is to know those rules inside and out before you try to teach them. And yes, I'm screaming at you. Absolutely nothing will turn them off faster than to have the person most excited to play, spend his time thumbing through the rule book, picking out the odd phrase here and there to try and teach it to them quickly. If you have to read anything in the rules to teach....you failed. Practice. Ignore me at your peril.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
How about Blue Moon City or Mission: Red Planet?

If you have already played Thurn & Taxis, I'm not sure TtR adds that much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride, BANG!, Nexus Ops, and Blokus are all successful games in my family. My family also really likes Formula Dé.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Heaton
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with most of the above suggestions. Other games that I've enjoyed that might work include:

Royal Turf/Winners Circle
TransAmerica
Kingdoms
Can’t Stop
Category 5
Guillotine
Coloretto
The Great Dalmuti
Loco!
Heimlich & Co./Top Secret Spies
Fairy Tale
Basari
Ingenious

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Darby
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re. learning rules thoroughly and never refer to the rulebook; I'll second that. My enthusiasm has been punished when I've seen the eyes glaze on newbie gaming friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend-

-Ticket to Ride: Marklin
-Alhambra
-Blue Moon City
-Vegas Showdown

They'll be hooked and ready for more after those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
costa
Portugal
Vieira de Leiria
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Thnks guys,

TICKET TO RIDE, THE SETTLERS OF CATAN and CARCASSONE are in my must buy games list. These i will buy for sure.

From all the other games that you've suggested i've shortened the list to these ones:
FAIRY TALE
BOHNANZA
GUILLOTINE
KINGDOMS
DIAMANT
LOCO!
and 6 NIMMT!

I also added MEUTERER to this list. I believe that it could be a nice choice to go with. Don't you think?

And now i scratch my head while i try to decide my next order from PlayMe... maybe i'll go nuts and buy them all...

What about these two, any tips about them?
HEY! THAT'S MY FISH!
and CARTAGENA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.