Hide
7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Playing Piece of choice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Day-Kerry
msg tools
My business partner and I are currently working on our board game, we plan to self publish so will be creating the physical product with this in mind.

Can i ask what people's preferred playing piece is?

Meeples - relatively cheap, can get a certain level of customisation
Pawns - very cheap, can only really be differentiated by colour
Cardboard standees - again cheap and can be easily customised to our design, but are they viewed as a bit rubbish in terms of general feeling and durability?
Custom miniatures - the most expensive option but it always seems to give games that extra sense of class, but is it worth the extra outlay?

We would need 6 different coloured, identically designed suited human pieces, and 6 uniquely designed special pieces (same size as human pieces).

Please let me know what you think, and prompt me if I've missed anything.

Poll
What is your playing piece of choice?

Please consider immersion, cost and uniqueness.
Meeples
Pawns
Cardboard Standees
Custom Miniatures
Other (please specify)
      28 answers
Poll created by mrdaykerry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Selwyn Hope
Australia
Cannington
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Meeples are fine. Even better if you can get custom shapes on the meeples to make them a little more unique.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keaton
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Set up a poll, but meeples are good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Lumiukko
Finland
flag msg tools
How about a cake break!
badge
How about a cake break!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that it depends a lot on the game. For example I would never play a dungeon crawl with meeples but would rather have cardboard stand or even better miniatures. But miniatures in a worker placement game don't bring anything whereas custom made meeples would make it much nicer.

Also important, the design of the rest of the game must be coherent with that choice. I would not like meeples in pandemic for example because they don't fit with the rest of the design and those plastic pawns are very good there but cardboard standees would be nice as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Day-Kerry
msg tools
BilyVMe wrote:
I would say that it depends a lot on the game. For example I would never play a dungeon crawl with meeples but would rather have cardboard stand or even better miniatures. But miniatures in a worker placement game don't bring anything whereas custom made meeples would make it much nicer.

Also important, the design of the rest of the game must be coherent with that choice. I would not like meeples in pandemic for example because they don't fit with the rest of the design and those plastic pawns are very good there but cardboard standees would be nice as well.

Ah yes, it's a game of deduction, set on a world map where half the players have to capture the other half of the players, whilst hiding, double crossing and entrapping one another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikos Fakos
Greece
Kymi Evoia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
COUNTERS AND HEXES

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrdaykerry wrote:
BilyVMe wrote:

Ah yes, it's a game of deduction, set on a world map where half the players have to capture the other half of the players, whilst hiding, double crossing and entrapping one another.

Hmmm... if there's Fog of War, you may indeed be better off with more "generic" playing pieces. Counters and hexes would allow you to hide information by keeping the counter face down. Pawns and meeples could have hidden information on the "bottom" side too. Wood blocks used in some wargames would be good for 2-player games.

My favorite would be the special blocks in Confusion: Espionage and Deception in the Cold War

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.