4 Posts

18VA» Forums » General

Subject: Optimal number of players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there an optimal number of players for 18VA? Are there perhaps some problems with a particular player amount?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Takashi Ishida
Japan
Abiko
Chiba Prefecture
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
goo
Last week, I have played this game with my friends first time with 3 members.
I feel 3 were very comfortable numbers.
On the other hand, I feel 4 might be very difficult. This impression comes from the fact that,
1 : This map is filled with many cities. And most of them can contain only 2 tokens in each.
2 : This game contains more than enough amount of tokens.
This results in that longer railroad is cut by token blockade in this game. And the situation is harder with increased number of players.

I'd like to say "4 might be difficult" and this doesn't mean "4 is boring". It strongly depends the person's favorite. If you'd like to play harder game, 4 might be very good. But, I don't like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the game with four, and it was good. Though - we were all newbies and so our game wasn't that cutthroat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Byrd
United States
Mt Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
18VA scales far better than any other 18xx game I have played. One of the reasons 18VA is my favorite game is that it plays equally well with 3, 4 or 5.

The initial private company auction in 18VA is superior to all others (my group has started using this method in other xx titles) and it creates different starting tension depending on the number of players. So, I would say that the game is different depending on the number of players, but still very well balanced and extremely satisfying.

For comparison, I prefer not to play 1856 or 1870 with 3, and I prefer not to play 18GA or 18AL with 5. 18VA fits perfectly in the gap between the 2 hour games and the 5 hour games and will easily handle 3, 4, or 5 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.