Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
calvin roth
United States
succasunna
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far I've played 4-5 games solo using 4 randomly chosen investigators and a random Ancient One. After winning twice yesterday I was feeling pretty cocky when I set up this morning with Jacqueline, Marie, Rita, and Wilson against Yig. The game slapped me down so fast.

It was over in 8 turns! Each investigator tried to solve the adventure Slithering Shadows which adds 3 dooms at midnight if there are any monsters. Another adventure had added 2 monsters when chosen, so that was a problem. Another, Gala in the Great Hall, locked the yellow die. Each investigator tried to deal with either unlocking the yellow or with the Slithering Shadows. All failed. Did I mention the first Mythos card added 2 doom?

To conclude: 2 doom to start, 3 doom at the first midnight, another doom each of the two times I failed to free the yellow die, and three more at the second midnight. So Yig awakens and devours all 4 investigators.

I am thinking this is a new world's record which could be tied but I think never beaten. 8 turns, no adventures completed, no monsters beaten, done.

Naturally I set up again with Gloria, Michael, Ashcan, and Vincent against Nyarlathotep. This time it was pretty easy: I won with only 4 doom appearing. One key was Gloria getting free yellow and red for Other World encounters and some pretty lucky dice rolls I must admit. Also got the spell card which removed 3 monsters and Ashcan (Ashcan!) was blessed. Twice he did the last task with his last roll with the exact number of dice to complete the adventure and stay blessed.

Can't wait to introduce the game to my girlfriend and another couple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elder Sign is a great game for the solo player or in a party that wants to have just fun playing together.

Games like Elder Sign, Eldritch Horror, Arkham Horror or Mansions of Madness are about having these great themes and getting stories out of it all. Each with their own attraction in the HP Lovecraft Lore.

As such they enter that illusive path of adventuring through a boardgame and are not so much "gaming" experiences.

I love to play them all, you don't compete in these kind of games to "win", just to have the great Lore experience. Yes even in a dice rolling game like Elder Sign.

As to the winning %, I shrug at those stats found on the ES Forums. 11 bragging people made up 62% of the stats ... all stating they don't loose the game like forever. The stats are a joke and not even representative for "normal" players.

My record is 50-60% wins in the boardgame and around 30% in the iPad version. Computers can't cheat. Simple fact.

That iPad version of Elder Sign though is by far the BEST implementation of a boardgame to a digital platform.

Yes, I think we always had abstract games, Euro games, wargames and now... thematic games that rule the imagination even better than all 3 others combined.

I love it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since Ben is insistent on slandering the stats site and its users and disregarding every response to his complaints for the last three weeks, I'll just post the recent discussion from BGG, which links back to the original FFG discussion.

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/18157276#18157276
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lipa LeChuck
msg tools
mb
Ben_Bos wrote:
My record is 50-60% wins in the boardgame and around 30% in the iPad version. Computers can't cheat. Simple fact.

I usually don't like to take part in discussions like this, but this... I don't know why, but I feel strangely offended. Yes, to me, personally, the game is easy, and if you start reading all the threads from the release onward, you'll see I'm not the only one. I hardly ever lost, so I made up house rules to make things harder. Again, I'm not the only one. To you the game may be harder, sure, no problem with that. But - your often repeated implication that players must CHEAT to get the win percentages we claim, this truly offends me. No, I don't cheat. Ever. Yes, I win most of the time.

No, I don't win Omens most of the time, not at all. Why? Because Omens and the boardgame are NOT the same. The Mythos deck is much more brutal in Omens, and Doom accumulates faster. So it doesn't even make sense to compare them. They are different versions of the game.

I will make no further replies to this topic, this is all that I wanted to say. And sorry OP for this deviation from the topic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.