Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul O'Connor
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Intrigued by my first solo run through the game, and more familiar now with how to play it (and aware of rules I was getting wrong), I took Pizza Box Football out for another solo spin. This time I matched the 11-5 Atlanta Falcons against the hopeless (but much loved, at least by me) 5-11 Raiders. The Falcons controlled the ball for much of the first half, but failed to punch it in the end zone. Despite excellent field position throughout the half, the Falcons had to settle for field goals of 48, 48, and 58 yards. The Raiders, meanwhile, were struggling – their opening 60-yard drive resulted in a blocked field goal, and they were twice intercepted. But on the last drive of the half, things clicked for the Silver & Black; starting from their own 32, they rushed for 26 yards on two carries, and went 4-for-5 through the air, capping the drive with a 12-yard touchdown pass to go into the half trailing 9-7.

Atlanta opened the second half with yet another field goal, to extend their lead to 12-7. The Falcons were controlling the ball and the clock, but by failing to get the ball into the end zone, they were letting the Raiders hang around. And the Raiders took advantage. Their first drive of the second half looked a lot like their last of the first – a ten play, 73-yard drive that ended with an 8-yard touchdown strike to put the Raiders ahead for the first time, 14-12.

Hearing boos from the home crowd, the Falcons responded with their best drive of the day, taking fourteen plays and most of the third quarter to march 74 yards for the go-ahead touchdown.

The fourth quarter saw the Falcons trying to protect their 19-14 lead against a furious (and desperate) Oakland comeback attempt. Twice the Raiders marched deep into Falcon territory, first to have a pass intercepted in the endzone, then, after picking off a Falcons pass for a rare Raiders interception, they turned the ball over on downs at the Falcon twenty-two. While the Raider coach grumbled about the six points he might have had by field goals if he hadn’t been pressing so hard for the end zone, the Raider defense took the field, and held the Falcons to a three-and-out. The Atlanta punt gave the Raiders the ball at their own thirty-five as the clock stopped for the two minute warning.

The Raiders tried to run, and were stuffed for no gain, and then a screen pass fell incomplete. With time running out, Oakland pinned their ears back and aired it out, throwing underneath deep Atlanta coverage for three straight completions, moving the ball to the Atlanta 45. The offense was moving the ball, but the Raiders were out of timeouts, and a field goal could not help them.

Praying for guidance from Saints Lamonica and Biletnikoff, the Raiders went deep … and found a seam in the coverage … and a safety slipped and fell … and the bonus dice delivered a 42-yard strike, queuing Oakland up with a first-and-goal at the Atlanta three. The Raiders loaded up and punched it in on the ground. Atlanta couldn’t muster a comeback with only a handful of ticks on the clock. Ballgame – 21-19, Oakland.

Final stats:

Oakland:
Rushing 22 for 113 yards, 1 TD
Passing 20 of 34 for 220 yards, 2 TDs, 3 INT, 4 sacks for 25 yards

Atlanta:
Rushing 26 for 82 yards, 0 TD
Passing 17 of 26 for 146 yards, 1 TD, 2 INTs, 3 sacks for 9 yards

The game played faster than my first solo attempt at the system, clocking in at just over two hours (and I really can’t see getting much faster than that). Defensive calls felt a little more important now that I was implementing defense effects correctly. As a two-hour solo game, PBF overstays its welcome by about thirty minutes … but I think the game will really shine as a 90-minute, two-player contest. Hopefully I’ll get to play a “live” game soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John sizemore
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Nice game summary Paul...a very enjoyable read!

I bet if Pizza Box Football had a forum on their site, we could generate allot of replay summaries & PBF discussion....hint, hint

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Smith
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
mbt444 wrote:
I bet if Pizza Box Football had a forum on their site, we could generate allot of replay summaries & PBF discussion....hint, hint

I'd love it, too. I enjoy reading these reports. We have the technology in place, but it will still take a while to implement. We'll keep folks posted on a forum once it's developed.

Meanwhile, it's great that we all have BGG!

All the best,

Erik Smith
On The Line Game Company

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.