Aaron G. Stock
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[BGG note: not sure if this belongs in Variants forum]
Similar to the sideboard in Magic: The Gathering tournaments, what do you think of creating a tournament type that allows for pre-round swapping out weapons/equipment/crew/etc. with a limited array?

You would still be limited to 100 points in the final build, of course, but after you set your ships and pilots (and crew?) for the tournament, you could change your upgrades to fit the "mission." Like Magic's sidebar, rules could set a limit of what you have available to swap.

If it helps you fit this into a "real-life" narrative, often pilots will be given a mission and a chance to outfit their crafts to suit. For this mission, some reconnaissance has revealed elements of the enemy's composition: ships and available pilots/crew.

After all, a tournament does not resemble a scramble (surprise defense/opportunistic attack): you know your opponent's ships. More to the point, this tournament type could give players more incentive to use more of the cards in the game (I'm thinking specifically of all you ordnance-lovers).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Ace Pumpkin wrote:
[BGG note: not sure if this belongs in Variants forum]
Similar to the sideboard in Magic: The Gathering tournaments, what do you think of creating a tournament type that allows for pre-round swapping out weapons/equipment/crew/etc. with a limited array?

You would still be limited to 100 points in the final build, of course, but after you set your ships and pilots (and crew?) for the tournament, you could alter your to fit the "mission." Like Magic's sidebar, rules could set a limit of what you have available to swap.

If it helps you fit this into a "real-life" narrative, often pilots will be given a mission and a chance to outfit their crafts to suit. For this mission, some reconnaissance has revealed elements of the enemy's composition: ships and available pilots/crew.

After all, a tournament does not resemble a scramble (surprise defense/opportunistic attack): you know your opponent's ships. More to the point, this tournament type could give players more incentive to use more of the cards in the game (I'm thinking specifically of all you ordnance-lovers).

I think it just takes away even more from actually knowing how to fly your ships and just obsessing over lists.

Even if you came up with non-confusing format (there's a LOT of different ways you can take this idea) it seems like it will come down to a lot of veteran instincts and initiative bids.

I mean, it adds another layer, but it's another layer of theory crafting, not really game playing.

It's not like all of a sudden proton torpedoes get awesome if you only have to use them some of the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:

It's not like all of a sudden proton torpedoes get awesome if you only have to use them some of the time.

I think the idea is to have the secondaries on the side board, so when your opponent brings big ships, you swap your Y-Wing's ICT for a PT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thamos von Nostria wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:

I think the idea is to have the secondaries on the side board, so when your opponent brings big ships, you swap your Y-Wing's ICT for a PT.

My theory is that you're still not going to spend points in a board on proton torpedoes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It definitely improves ordnance. If you know that your opponent is committed to a Howlrunner swarm then you can pull out the Assault Missiles (this might kill the full swarm). When you see two flying pancakes, Cluster Missiles start looking good. Enemy doesn't have turrets? Swap out the Autothrusters for Targetting Computers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron G. Stock
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
I think it just takes away even more from actually knowing how to fly your ships and just obsessing over lists.

The one who flies and doesn't obsess will always have the advantage, though, eh? I guess this format could add more randomness than desirable, but do you think that it could also mitigate "meta" conformity?

Quote:
Even if you came up with non-confusing format (there's a LOT of different ways you can take this idea) it seems like it will come down to a lot of veteran instincts and initiative bids.

I mean, it adds another layer, but it's another layer of theory crafting, not really game playing.

Yeah, I haven't thought much about details, and I know that it's not to everyone's taste.

Besides making ordnance, if not exactly "awesome", more tempting (which I admit was my initial impulse), this format could encourage players to try different ships they feel are too limited by only having access to the same upgrades for the entire tournament.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think as a variant to make ordinance carriers better it has promise!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.