flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb

Tiny Epic Galaxies is currently funding on Kickstarter: http://kck.st/1Ft6Dlw

If the project reaches $400,000 then 2 community created planets will be added to the game! Here's your chance to influence the final game!

How To Participate:

First, we recommend that you play Tiny Epic Galaxies. You can download the FREE PnP here: http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/111592/official-tiny-epic-...

Don't forget to download the rules here: http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/111591/official-prototype-...

Second, cast your vote below!

You may vote on multiple abilities. The poll will close when the project concludes. The final planets will be announced shortly after the project concludes.

How Were These Abilities Chosen?:

First off, all of these abilities are drawn from the backer comments of this thread: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1304123/tiny-epic-galaxies-c...

User names have been intentionally withheld from this poll.

Scott and I carefully considered every ability posted and how it would react with mechanics and other planets. We hand selected these 10 and we feel they fit the design goals and will have synergy with the current game mechanics.

From the 10 chosen abilities, 2 will be chosen by Scott and myself from the top 4 voted abilities.

Will They Be Balanced?:

Absolutely! All the abilities that Scott and I selected already compliment the design goals. Then the final 2 that are selected will get intense and focused testing before printing. If issues arise during testing, we reserve the right to tweak the abilities as need for balance.

Scott and I will determine the resource type, colonizing track length and victory point values for both planets.

This is not a contest, but if your suggested ability is used you will get a special "thank you" in the rule book and you will get to name your planet.

Please Vote Below

and share WHY you voted for what you did in the comments!

Poll: Community Created Planets
Please vote for your favorite planet abilities!
What planet abilities would you like to see in Tiny Epic Galaxies?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Use the ability of any un-colonized planet.
45.4% 336
Lose any culture you have, double your amount of energy.
14.6% 108
Pay one energy. Discard a Secret Mission card and draw another one.
35.9% 266
Return as many ships to your galaxy as you like, including this one.
23.2% 172
You may reroll 1 die from the converter and immediately activate it (you may not spend energy to reroll this die again).
20.8% 154
Gain 1 culture for every planet you have already colonized.
30.7% 227
Spend culture to reroll during this turn.
19.3% 143
Acquire one culture and one energy if you do not re-roll during this turn.
36.5% 270
Advance one ship on a colonization track if you do not re-roll during this turn.
34.1% 252
Discard an un-occupied planet from the middle and replace it with a new planet.
44.2% 327
Voters 740
This poll is now closed.   740 answers
Poll created by mgcoe
Closes: Sat Feb 7, 2015 6:00 am

Ability text is not final.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So I voted for my favorite 5 and was surprised to see that all 5 of them are the top 5 choices of the 57 votes so far. That's unusual! I wonder if it will stay that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All very interesting. But isn't the first ability already always an option just by landing on it?
I guess I am not understanding how this one is "new" or "different" (no offense to whoever's suggestion it is)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D W
msg tools
Nikoms wrote:
All very interesting. But isn't the first ability already always an option just by landing on it?
I guess I am not understanding how this one is "new" or "different" (no offense to whoever's suggestion it is)

You can only land on a planet that you do not already have a ship on. And you can only do that if you have a ship you want to move and roll a "move ship".

So it is actually a very good idea. Simple and can be useful to double up on a planet ability on the same turn or do a planet ability without taking a ship off of a colonize track..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Nikoms wrote:

That ability would let you use the ability from a planet that you have a surface landed ship on. So essentially, if played a certain way, you could use an un-colonized planet ability twice in one turn with less movements needed and you end with certain positioning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Brownridge
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted for number 8 because I like the gain for sacrifice concept.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still, it does not really seem interesting and quite situational. I sure hope that it is not chosen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ellis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nikoms wrote:

a player can only have 1 ship on the surface of a planet at a time, so they typically cannot use an uncolonized planet's power more than once a turn. (if you had 3 "move" actions you could move on, then off, then back on to use a power twice in one turn but that is uncommon).

If the first ability planet is on the board, you could do another uncolonized planet's ability twice in one turn with only 2 move actions.

Once the first ability planet is claimed by a galaxy, you could use an uncolonized world's power as many times as you have "colony" actions in one turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Alvarez
Puerto Rico
Hatillo
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I personally don't like 1, because it feels a bit too powerful. I like 8 and 9 together, since they make a cool combo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's hard to vote because I have no idea how much the planets will cost. Some of them could be extremely powerful, so if they are super expensive to get, maybe it'd be ok, but if not, it might be too swingy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MAKANA McDONALD
United States
BRONX
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Can't you use a move action to move from any card, to any other card? And if that's the case, what is the point of moving ships back to your galaxy? Why would you ever want to do that, let alone waste an ability doing that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NeonNocturne wrote:
Can't you use a move action to move from any card, to any other card? And if that's the case, what is the point of moving ships back to your galaxy? Why would you ever want to do that, let alone waste an ability doing that?

I could see if all your ship were out and you needed energy, you could use that action to move all your ships back with one die, use another die to get the energy, then go from there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moisés Solé
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eww... This will be hard.

1 is meh, really. It's hard to see a good use of it. Maybe if you are going to lose a race for colonization and you want to take one last use of that planet... Too situational.

2 seems OK, of course people can choose when to apply that ability, so it will basically be "Gain 3 energy for free"

3 is the tamest one of the bunch

About 4, what is the point, really? Since ships can move around anyway... Again, too situational for about the same circumstances as 1.

5 Cheapens the converter too much, IMHO

6 is also pretty tame, but can easily make for big gains late in the game.

7 is not too bad, either. But can you still reroll with Energy? For situations where you haven't gotten many energy planets it could work, but I'm not seeing it as too useful right now. Too situational.

8 and 9 are cool abilities, but they include this "do not reroll" memory issue. The "gain one energy but not re-roll" is painful, again IMHO.

Finally, for 10 unoccupied means on the surface, or also in the colonization tracks? If the former, a cheap take that denying a planet to someone not by outpacing them on colonization track, if the latter, a totally bland and neutral move.

Please take into account that this is my opinion only, and no offense is intended to the proposers of said abilities, I'm just expressing what I feel about them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
referee wrote:

6 is also pretty tame, but can easily make for big gains late in the game.

It would also give incentive to colonize "lesser" planets...not that I am campaigning

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan P
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NeonNocturne wrote:

Makes it easy to gather energy efficiently if your ships are currently on culture planets. Also allows you to redeploy ships to the surface of planets to use their ability again with fewer move actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Cousins
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
#3 because it interacts with mission cards and allows for strategic adjustment.
#5 because people would for sure use it and it's fun.
#10 because it adds unpredictability as well as strategic depth.

Whatever is chosen I hope the ideas behind them are divergent from the planets already in the game which mostly focus on energy, culture, and colonization tracks. But hey I'm no game designer just a 2c tosser X)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Hobbes
China
Guangzhou
Guangdong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OldTallandUgly wrote:
I personally don't like 1, because it feels a bit too powerful. I like 8 and 9 together, since they make a cool combo.

I like #1 because it's my suggestion. blush

Seriously, though, abilities like this work very well in games like Caverna and the Anarchy expansion for Revolution!. It's part of what makes Caverna a better game than Agricola, IMO, because the strategies are less obvious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Courtight
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like ideas were I have to loose one resource to gain another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My biggest reason for not liking 8 and 9, is both amount to "if you rolled luckily enough, get a bonus". I prefer some the other abilities that feel more strategy-driven.

But all in all, some very nice additions to chose from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nando The Rebel
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a pity that it is not included any ability to make harder for the opponents to colonize planets. Unfortunately. in my opinion, there are not enough ways (at least in the prototype) to slowdown the opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a bit concerned that the "gain a Culture for every planet you've colonized" could be overpowered towards the end of the game. I guess it depends on the cost, though. If a somewhat high cost card, it might be a bit more balanced as it would be harder to get early. It might also encourage taking planets that are lower cost to get that extra culture. Interesting mix of planets out there and I look forward to seeing what makes it into the final product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jersey
United States
Rives Junction
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well two of my three suggestions are the top two choices so far but my third choice is way down the list...which is the option to reroll one die from the converter. Sounds like a cool power and would definitely make the converter very powerful, maybe too powerful?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jersey
United States
Rives Junction
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hobbesvii wrote:
OldTallandUgly wrote:

I like #1 because it's my suggestion. blush

Seriously, though, abilities like this work very well in games like Caverna and the Anarchy expansion for Revolution!. It's part of what makes Caverna a better game than Agricola, IMO, because the strategies are less obvious.

I had to go through all the planet powers when I read #1 because it seems like a fairly common action in many worker placement games and was surprised it wasn't already a planet power. Definitely a good one and one of the three I voted for! As of right now, it looks like it's a winner if we actually unlock that level on the KS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Besser
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warning: A long post discussing my thoughts on these ability suggestions:

Craft Mates Lockables 7x

My thoughts on these planet ideas:

1) "Use the ability of any un-colonized planet." This appears to lead into synergies, potentially overly much. As a planet ability, this isn't very strong: You can move to this planet and then another planet to get that planet's ability twice and end on that planet. As a colony ability, this ability is potentially too strong: You can use this to spam the abilities of a planet on the table until someone manages to colonize it and take it away from you. Usually, you need two dice to spam planet abilities, but this lets you spam with just one die.
So, conclusion: useful, and much stronger colonized than as a planet.

2) "Lose any culture you have, double your amount of energy." Need fast energy? Then go here. This is useful when you are low on culture anyway and need some energy, although I feel the reverse would have been more useful. Being able to get an influx of culture is good when you are following to be able to keep it up.
This, again, leads into some synergies, because you can spend a turn focusing on getting 3 energy and using your culture so you can launch this ability.

3) "Pay one energy. Discard a Secret Mission card and draw another one." This is one I am disappointed by. At the beginning of the game, it's too early to be able to start switching out your secret missions, as all of the ones revealed talk about having the most of something at the end of the game. At the beginning, its impossible to tell what you are going to have the most of the end of the game. This game is smaller than something like Castles of Mad King Ludwid or Suburbia, so your early strategies won't relate to you having the most of something at the end.
So I see this ability being useful only at the end of the game. Even then, its only a chance of being useful. You may draw a secret mission that is equally as bad for you, so you will need to use it again.
Also, once this is colonized, only one person will be able to use it. Since this ability isn't going to be used to the end of the game, if someone colonizes it, early, then this ability will see even less use.
Finally, its a waste of an action. Its probably usually better to just try to aim for the secret mission you know than trust to luck with the secret mission you don't. With the secret mission you have, you are able to try to achieve it throughout the game. By drawing a random one, you aren't necessarily going to be able to work towards accomplishing it.
So, conclusion: This ability may see use once or twice a game, if even.

4) "Return as many ships to your galaxy as you like, including this one." This is another one I see as having high synergy. By sending out all of your ships, you can take advtange of the planet abilities, then return all of your ships to your galaxy, and then send them out again. Plus, if you expect to need energy, this is a good way to set yourself up to have a lot of energy (such as for expanding your galaxy).

5) "You may reroll 1 die from the converter and immediately activate it (you may not spend energy to reroll this die again)." This is another ability I'm disappointed by: Before this ability, you have three dice: two go in the converter and one turns to any face you want. After this ability, you have three dice: two go in the converter, one turns to a move/colony to let you use this ability, and then another comes back out of the covnerter and turns to a random side. So without the ability, you spent three dice to get an action of your choice. With the ability, you spent three dice to get a move/colony action to use this ability and a random other ability.
That doesn't seem much of an improvement. At best, you traded off getting a random die roll instead of a selected die choice to get a ship on this planet and a random die roll. At worst, you traded off a selected die for a random die roll (if you colonized the planet already).

6) "Gain 1 culture for every planet you have already colonized." Powerful late game, but this planet could create a "rich get richer" issue. Culture is powerful, and having the ability to get more of it than your opponents easily is very powerful. If this isn't a high-VP planet, it should be. Otherwise, it will synergize too much with itself to allow the colonizer to get an early rush on low cost planets to run away with the game.

7) "Spend culture to reroll during this turn." This is neat. If you have a lot of culture, or if you know you want to have energy to expand a galaxy, this can be useful. This can also be useful if you start a turn with culture and no energy and want to be able to reroll. There seem to be a good number of opportunities for this to be used, which make it a good candidate.

8) "Acquire one culture and one energy if you do not re-roll during this turn." AND:
9) "Advance one ship on a colonization track if you do not re-roll during this turn."
I just wanted to treat these two together: Both of these are a test of your ability to either make do with what you've got or how lucky you've been. As a measure of your luckiness, that detracts from a game where the stated intention is to allow you ways to mitigate bad luck. Allowing other people to overly capitalize on their good luck leaves as a bad a feeling as a player getting in trouble due to bad luck that cannot be mitigated. And, although a player may always say that they don't like everything and they have to sacrifice something: The other players will have a tough time believing it, plus the player who isn't rerolling is also advantaged by not having to spend any extra energy rerolling this turn.

10) "Discard an un-occupied planet from the middle and replace it with a new planet." Once again, interesting. You never know what you will get. But if another player is spamming a planet ability, this gives you a method to get it off the table and prevent them from using it. Also, if its the only big point planet and you want to extend the game a bit longer, you can discard it before he can move in on it and stop the game from ending.

Therefore, my conclusions:

Highly recommended for planet abilities: 10
Recommended: 2, 4, 7
Possibilities: 1, 6
Recommended to avoid: 3, 5, 8, 9
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Bryant
United States
Westminster
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of being able to abandon a Secret Mission and start a new one, for a cost. Makes sense to me on those occasions where a mission becomes blocked or otherwise too difficult. Also like the idea of spending resources to re-roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.