Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: kids [+] children [+] [View All]
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
I have read quite a lot of times posts like this:

"Why does it say for ages 10 and up?
My 8 yo played with us quite well..."

Indeed I asked this question myself many times (I have kids), and thought that publishers overestimated the limit, or that my kids were smarter than average, of course!

But I asked once to the guy in a shop and he told me that the age is meant for a kid openning the box on his own, reading the rules, and, for a multiplayer game, explaining the rules to his friends and playing the game... without an adult helping at any stage! So not just playing...

I prefered sharing this here than answering everytime such a question is asked... And I'm sorry if you thought your kids were smarter than average!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I that I have observed since rediscovering board games in my life is that there are a fair number of adults out there for which 8+, 10+ and 12+ really does indicate a real difference in the perceived complexity of the game. I've really been suprised by the number of adults I know who say things like, "I don't want to think, I just want to be entertained!" I find that a game labelled 8+ usually goes over easier with these types, than a 10+ or 12+.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that this varies wildly from publisher to publisher, with the European publishers generally being closer to the mark. For instance, Ingenious and Poison both have 10+ on the box, yet both are simple ruleset that I have taught 5 and 6 YOs to play successfully, and I think an 8 YO could break either of these out on their own. But when Days of Wonder or AbacusSpiele says a game is 10+, I know I can't play it with my 6YO without changing a few things.

Still, I REALLY wish this info was listed on the BGG! It would be so helpful to have a rough idea on these things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
franchi wrote:
...he told me that the age is meant for a kid openning the box on his own, ...

That's very interesting, Thanks!

Denise wrote:
...I REALLY wish this info was listed on the BGG! It would be so helpful to have a rough idea on these things.

I think that's a great idea, and would fit on a wiki page nicely. The problem I see, though is-- do we have good/valid descriptions of game age requirements. We only have 2 replies on this thread, and there's already different views. (both by one guy!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, my thought was to just have the manufacturers suggested age, even tho that is often wildly off. It has the advantage of being readily available info and even a stranger to the board would easily understand where we were getting the info from, as opposed to if we create some specail BGG system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JOHN TODD JENSEN
United States
CLYMAN
WI
flag msg tools
Ask me about it!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The "8 and up," "10 and up," and "12 and up" are just code for "Easy," "Moderate," and "Difficult." They really have nothing to do with chronological age. However, different companies have different ideas about how easy "Easy" is and how difficult "Difficult" is, so the difficulty rankings can hardly be considered any kind of standard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a SWAG on the part of manufacturers. (SWAG is an engineering term meaning "Simply a Wild A** Guess"! ) They guess that that particular game is easy enough that most children about 10 should be able to learn and understand how to play it, but most 8 years olds don't.

But you child may vary--especially in reading and cognative ability. Some kids learn to read by age 4, others take some longer.

The game that are ludricrous that say 14+ (or older). (The exception are those games specified for Age 18+ for their explicit artwork (Busen Memo)) Almost any board game has rules a 8h grade student should be able to understand the rules & learn how to play. Even the most complicated wargames. Interest in the subject matter is a better indicator than reading ability, and certainly age.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nesbitt
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, the real reason is a lot more boring: Safety Standards.

All toy products (even boardgames) have to go through safety screening based on their recommended age. By placing a very low age on a boardgame, you introduce many possibilities such as a choking hazard or flammability problems. There are different requirements for different age levels, and by going with 10+, manufacturers are able to avoid dealing with some of these issues, helping to bring their game to the market more quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.