Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lately I have been thinking I am missing something by not having Cosmic Encounter in my collection. So let's presume I can have any version out there (I am a patient man on the right things, so if a particular version is head and shoulders above anothet, I can wait my time to find it... and afford it...)

So what version would you recommend I get and why? What version should I avoid and why?

I look forward to your comments!

Cheers!
Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nasty McHaggis
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
I'm pouring all of my points in sarcasm.
badge
Box next to hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
You are right to think that you need this game, but you're not alone! This was discussed quite a bit recently in another thread:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/125527

Regardless of which edition you get, I hope you enjoy this great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Ken, the one thing I didn't see debated too much was whether the new AH version is worth anything (not in value, but in rules...) Does it lose much?

Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mayfair's version is the best in my opinion. Although it is far from perfect, they attempted to reign in some of the total Chaos that earlier versions had from "timing" issues - moments where more than one player wanted to do something and the order at which they occured would greatly vary the outcome.

Mayfair added small timing icons on cards, flares, and powers that showed when it could be used - brilliant! Mayfair's version also had a ton of powers and when you added in the "More Cosmic Encounter" it should be enough variety for anyone (along with Lucre and Moons for complete lunacy!).

Eon fans typically complain about the Mayfair change of making flares one shot, but you could probably change that rule with a Mayfair set with no problems where adding timing icons to the Eon version would be immpractical.

I have two copies of the AH version to make a 6 player version with all the cool pieces BUT I'd use all the rules and such from the Mayfair Version. Some others on the Geek have done this too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wood
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have the mayfair editoon plus expansion, and the Ah version. The AH version is very shiny, but suffers imo from only having 20 powers and 4 players. Whilst the game is still a blast like this, it is even better with more players and powers. I would not part with my mayfair edition, its fantastic, but if i get chance to pick up anotehr copy of the AH version i will do so, and make a mixed version using the powers and cards from mayfair and the board and tokens from the AH version. Also, the rumour that we may see a CE reprint might make waiting worth your while. I myself am tingling in anticipation cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I may just take a wait and see too - but I may just pick up a cheap AH version to get a feel for the game...

Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have pretty much all the versions, and the one I used the most (especially for teaching new people the game) was Mayfair. I think they got quite a bit right. Out of the box:

-Up to 6 people can play
-Flares part of the game (albeit one-shot)
-Good sampling of powers
-Some new powers
-Timing icons
-Reinforcements
-Special Destiny and Comets
-Reverse Hexes already part of the game

Additionally, with "More Cosmic" they also got right:

-Lucre rules and better pieces
-Moons with categories and better pieces
-Descriptions ON the Moons
-Another nice chunk of powers

Stuff they didn't quite nail:

-One-shot Flares too much like Edicts
-Artwork not very impressive
-Color scheme

All in all, not bad. What I don't like about the Avalon Hill edition:

-Ships, while neat-looking, not as practical as tokens, especially considering all the "token effects" we employ in some of our games
-Changed a lot of terminology. I'm just not ever going to say "pods" and "negotiate" and "artifact". For more than 20 years it was one set of terms, and I'm not interested in converting everything.
-4 players and that's it.

The only thing I really like about the AH version is the art. The power art is much better than Mayfair's, but some of it is too abstract. I practically grew up on the Eon art, and most of it is still awesome.

I love the Eon version, but we hardly ever play it. Now that I have a very thorough home set, it's pretty much all we use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.