Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andras Szabo
Hungary
Budapest
Budapest
flag msg tools
Hi Folks!

I have played this game first time this week (it's great fun!). I was wondered how to make the game longer.

I think the rules for a longer match (namely to control more groups) are not good because:
- It will be easier for the group to accomplish it's own special victory condition.
- If we forget about the special conditions then e.g. Cthulhu-s special ability is almost useless.

My idea is that the rule for longer games should be to accomplish BOTH of the objectives (# of controlled groups and Illuminati special victory condition).

What's you opinion about this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carlson
United States
Pepperell
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's an interesting idea... My gut reaction is that might create an unfair balance for certain players, Cthulu being a perfect example. I'd think that an org which relies on "building up" (i.e. the Gnomes) would have a much easier time there.

Then again, who ever said world domination was fair?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andras Szabo
Hungary
Budapest
Budapest
flag msg tools
Money can be taken from the Gnomes by bleeding them (attacking it's poorly defended groups, which requires money from the illuminati's treasury). Cthulhu's destroyed groups cannot be taken from them.

I think the game breaking illuminati here is the Bavarian. If i require e.g 14-18 controlled group, the Bavarians surely will have 35 power.

Otherwise you are right, this game is simply not fair. By design ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Fernandez
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you say?
Longer?

Actually, I think it's quite a long game as is. If the players follow the stop-the-leader directive that Illuminati seems to have been designed for, the sessions can be eternal.
I really like the "shorter illuminaty" rules posted on the files section to make the game shorter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andras Szabo
Hungary
Budapest
Budapest
flag msg tools
We enjoy long games, like Twilight Imperium's 6 hour monstre sessions.

I agree that it's not easy to win in Illuminati (especially in 5 or 6 games play), but there are few minor opportunities which can be exploited (privileged attack is just one important to mention). On the other hand in the middle game it's hard to tell, who is the winner. For example Gnomes have 100MB, Cthulhu destroyed 5 or so groups so far, Bavarians have 25 collected power. Who is the winner? It depends on the cards in play, the specials which are unknown and the deck itself...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.