Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Crawford
United States
Chester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played lots of games and I'm one of those types who actually like to read the rules.

The rules to this game are just plain awful. I know I'm missing some basic concept--or getting something wrong--but it's not coming together. The rules badly need some examples of play; especially, to illustrate the movement of the goth and tribute. Does any one know where I might find some?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wheeler
United States
Ammon
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert,

I try not to jump on complaint bandwagons, but I have to agree with you that the rules could've made great use of some illustrated examples of play.

If I find such an animal, I will let you know.
I do want to add that we have played it twice now, and I am certainly enamored of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rcrawford wrote:
I've played lots of games and I'm one of those types who actually like to read the rules.

The rules to this game are just plain awful. I know I'm missing some basic concept--or getting something wrong--but it's not coming together. The rules badly need some examples of play; especially, to illustrate the movement of the goth and tribute. Does any one know where I might find some?

Thanks.

The Goth seems pretty obvious to me. When you pay tribute, you pay the price on the frist space from the Goth without any payment on it. When the Goth moves he moves to the last space with something on it. If no spaces have any thing on them, he moves one space. If my interpretation is wrong, then I agree with you that the rules aren't clear.

I just wish there was a card cheat sheet on the back of the rules so you don't have to flip through the rule book during play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McGreevy
United States
Naples
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is how I understand it also. Say on a turn there are 6 spaces with tribute on it and the active player decides that he/she is not going to pay tribute. The goth moves to the 6th spot and starting with the active player all the icons with tributes on them are now sacrificed one at a time starting with the active player. The resources are now distributed one by one starting with the active player's choice. Now if the next player decides not to pay the Goth then the Goth is moved one spot to an empty space ahd the icon/icons on the space have to be payed starting with the active player and no resources are distributed because there are none.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Carver
United Kingdom
Cobham
Surrey, UK
flag msg tools
designer
I too had problems with the rules of the Goth move, which is why I visited the Geek in the hope that all would be made clear. As you say, an example of play would have solved everything.

So, as I see it, the only time the Goth doesn't move is if you add more tribute. But when he finally does move he finally moves over all of the turns he previously missed, which seems to me (not having yet played the game) that not much was achieved overall, which is why I wanted to be sure I'd read it correctly.

- Derek

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Snedeker

Sparks
Nevada
msg tools
The tribute to the "goth"devil is just that, a delaying tactic. He WILL proceed towards Rome no matter what players do.

A simple system we use at Boardgamers of Reno with the Goth:

When someone doens't pay a tribute (cheap bas****) the starting player pays tribute, pushes the token off the track into the Adriatic Sea. Each following player does same till track is empty. Then starting player pulls one of the tokens from the sea into his stock, then next player does same till all tokens are taken.

Mike Snedeker, pres.
BGoR

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
The forums seem to keep changing on me, so I had trouble tracking this down but http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/128715 seems to be a nice overview of the game.

My gaming group and I had trouble with the instructions as well. I think the key is the order of the instructions is just plain bad.

Hope this helps. I haven't had a chance to go back and play it yet myself.
Cheers,
Van

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hoping to play this soon and have been trying to understand the rules for the last two evenings. I so glad that the general concensus is that the rules are badly written and it's not me having a thick attack.

A major re-write is in order as having read the points on the game page, I totally misunderstood many aspects of the game (and probably still do).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rocchi
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
BigMacRepair wrote:
Now if the next player decides not to pay the Goth then the Goth is moved one spot to an empty space ahd the icon/icons on the space have to be payed starting with the active player and no resources are distributed because there are none.

What happens if the active player does not have any of the required resource?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Then the Goth advances.

It's uber simple. If the active player pays the the tribute, then the goth stays put.

If not paid, he moves forward, buildings get destroyed, etc. Why you didn't pay is irrelevant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rocchi
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer

Sorry; I'll wasn't more clear.

The example from the excellently rewritten rules state:

"If player 6, as the active player, didn't pay the tribute, the Goth would just move ahead one space.

( )-( )-( )-( )-( )-(G)-( )-

In this case, each player contributes to the cost of the tribute for the new space, starting with the active player & then the resources are distributed as above."

So let's say in the above example, player six did not pay the tribute because it was a farm and player six had no green cubes. The Goth moves forward to the farm, and what does player 6 (the active player) contribute if he has no green cubes? Does the next player cough up a green cube and start trashing properties?

I've just taken a look at the revised rewritten rules and the new example seems to clear this up. The active player discards a CARD of the type matching the needed resource. If there is more than one resource on the space, the next player must trash a card of the remaining type(s).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarkCelt wrote:
In this case, each player contributes to the cost of the tribute for the new space, starting with the active player & then the resources are distributed as above."

Where is the bolded part of this sentence from? Because it's categorically wrong. You never never never co-operate to pay tribute, or may pay partial tribute. The current player is the only player who may pay the tribute for the current space, and he must pay all of it, or nothing.

Maybe the difficulty here is a wording thing. "Tribute" are the cubes you place in front of the goth to keep him at bay. Buildings that get trashed are *not* tribute.

So, to your example. It's player 6's turn. There is currently no tribute in front of the goth (which would be the case when player 5 chose or could not pay the tribute on the previous turn).

The next empty space in front of the goth is green, thus 1 green cube of tribute is owed by player 6. You say player 6 has no green cubes, therefore the tribute can not paid, and thus the goth moves.

Since there is no line of previously paid tribute waiting to be eaten, the goth will thus only advance one space, onto the green spot. Destruction must happen for each thing he advanced over. In this case, the goth advanced only one space, which was green. Thus, one green card must be destroyed.

It's player 6's turn, so he is first in line for being responsible to trash a card. If he has a green card, he must destroy it (and the building on it if present). If he has two more more green cards, he can choose which one to destroy.

If player 6 did not have any green cards, then responsibility would pass to player 1. Player 1 would do the same thing, destroy if he had a green card, otherwise responsibility moves on to player 2, etc.

As soon as someone has destroyed a green card, the destruction phase is over (since we only had one green space advanced over).

Next would be the recovering tribute phase, where player 6 would be first in line to take a tribute cube from the ones the goth ate. In this case though, there were none (since player 6 didn't pay a green cube, and there was no built up tribute from previous players).

Thus, that turn is over, play passes to player 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rocchi
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer

Got it. Thanks a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.