Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Fallen» Forums » General

Subject: Ok... Hooked on this game... are the kickstarter expansions worth it... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James

Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was looking at some of the kickstarter expasnions and there are a 2 that I saw. They are like $40 and contain like 30 cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lorri Gums
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The retail box comes with 30 cards .....

I know a lot of people who have yet to even touch their KS stuff because there is still a lot of game play left of the core cards....

It also depends on what you are looking at in terms of "expansions"....

The KS Version comes with the additional Story Cards..

20 KS Cards...
6 additional Story cards ea.: Trapworks, Shattered Tomb, Sewers of Aranauss, Pits of Maer-Han & Lyceum....

Mind the above come in the KS Box and is unopened and is included in the box.. "no extra purchased necessary".

Now if you are talking about the additional adventure packs....those were sold separately to all KS backers (and exclusive)....

They contain
12 New story cards ea., 3 new creatures and 2 item cards....

The Adventure Pack Names: Cataclysm, Ruined Stronghold, Dark Tower & Underworld and they were sold to all KS backers at $15 a piece....

Not sure what you are looking to purchase and I know that the you have to determine what you are will to pay for what ever you are attempting to purchase.

I just wanted to you to have all the available information. It may just be the adventure packs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James

Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ya... They were the adventure packs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scourn1
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
IMO get the kickstarter edition with the bonus packs or dont get it at all.

People will argue the 30 adventures in retail is a lot, but if you plan on playing this game often, or farily often, it wont be at all.

Retail is without playing the same adventure twice, you can get 10 unique games.

KS Version is you get 44 unique games if you never play the same one twice.

I would check the market place here or ebay and grab it if you see it for 150$ or less shipped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Udo Borries
Germany
Schnelldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you want to get a good game at a reasonable price, the retail version is a good option. If you had the chance to play the game and you know you are into it, and you want as much as possible, the KS edition is of course a real gem, but there are already prices out there where i would rather wait for new content than buy the exclusive content.

The four add-on adventure packs are nothing you must have if you aren't a completionist - the $15 during the KS campaign were pricey, but acceptable. The prices you pay now on ebay are just ridiculous.

On the replayability of the retail version: the 30 story cards combine to 24,360 different dungeons - 8,120 if you don't care for the sequence. Each card has several different paths.
With 3 dungeon lords and 3 heroes you have nine different constellations.
Depending on the cards you draw, the treasures that come into play, the skills the hero chooses to train, the creatures the dungeon lord gets to command the experience can vary a lot.

Even with an eidetic memory you would have to play each story card at least three times before you had visited every point.

And all this is completely different once you sit at the other side of the table, as hero and dungeon lord play very different.

If someone sais the retail version has only content for 10 different plays i guess they didn't play the game at all.

Of course the KS version of the game is far more than that, but it depends on what you want. If you just like the idea of the game and think you will play it from time to time, the retail version could be enough. If you want to go deeper into it, the exclusive premium edition (aka KS version) may be right for you. One way or the other, you will get a< great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Hubbard
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
scourn1 wrote:
IMO get the kickstarter edition with the bonus packs or dont get it at all.

People will argue the 30 adventures in retail is a lot, but if you plan on playing this game often, or farily often, it wont be at all.

Retail is without playing the same adventure twice, you can get 10 unique games.

KS Version is you get 44 unique games if you never play the same one twice.

I would check the market place here or ebay and grab it if you see it for 150$ or less shipped.

Have you played the retail game and exhausted its content? If not, you're in no position to make that argument.

The KS edition has more content, no doubt - primarily new story cards. That doesn't devalue the retail box, which still has quite a bit of content for the money.

It's worth pointing out that stories alone don't make the game unique - different heroes prefer different challenge types so I don't see games feeling duplicated until you've played through each story card three times - both because of three unique heroes and at least three distinct branches of decisions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It all depends on how long you can wait for non-exclusive expansions. If you'll play the game 10 times before any expansions are released, it is worth buying the KS version of the base game ($90 or less is a good price IMHO).

The standard KS version (none of the add on adventure packs) contains a TON of content that may be enough so that some folks never need to buy any other expansions.

The 4 add on adventure packs are for completionists only IMHO. The value may also go down in price once expansions start rolling out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I backed the non-Adventure pack Kickstarter edition of Fallen and I love the game. I'd love to buy the Adventure packs now, but somehow Watchtower game does not have them in stock or don't want to sell them after the KS has ended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Udo Borries
Germany
Schnelldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It was clear from the start that the four add-on adventure packs are "buy now or never" - that's why people bought them during the KS campaign. If you want them now, you have to pay the ridiculous prices on ebay. I knew it would annoy me much more to like the game and not have the APs than not liking the game and having paid more than twice the price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Game Steward
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rocky123 wrote:
I was looking at some of the kickstarter expasnions and there are a 2 that I saw. They are like $40 and contain like 30 cards?

The short answer is probably no. 12 story cards, 3 creatures and 2 items are not worth $30-$40 IMHO.

But for die-hard completionists, or for those who have *really* fallen in love with the game (pun intended), then it might be worth it. Only you can say for sure how much you want to have those extra four packs.

I think there is better value in picking up the KS Edition of the core game. You get 5 adventure packs plus 6 new characters for about the same price ($50 for the retail game + ~$60 for the KS stuff = ~$110 for the KS Edition of the core game) as two of the KS Exclusive Adventure Packs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got everything for this game, but haven't got around to using any of the adventure packs yet, and likely won't anytime soon. There is plenty of content there without the additional KS and Adventure Pack stuff. I've mixed some of the KS stuff in, but at this stage it isn't really required. I guess the biggest boost is the extra character choice (For both players), but certainly doesn't seem essential to me.

I'll have to play this game a lot to get through all the content.

So are they worth it? I'm happy I got them, but don't believe I'd be missing out if I hadn't. I doubt I'll ever play the game enough to make them essential.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.