Greg Forster
United States
Pleasant Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! Institute THIS!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, the game designer is quoted comparing it to "the best game of RISK I ever played." And that's to promote the game.

Obviously they're mentioning a game that non-gamers are familiar with because they're hoping for crossover success - a high-risk marketing strategy, considering how most gamers feel about RISK. gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Taylor
United States
Berryville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Just Another Washed Up Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand what you're saying, but they've got a terrible choice when giving "review quotes" about their game. The quote can either looks like this:

Reviewer: "It's got the tactical subtlety of GDW's Imperium wedding to a modern resource management system that owes a lot to Goa. Add in area control like El Grande's and you've got a winner on your hands!"

General Public: "Hunh? Is this like Risk or Monopoly?"

BGGers: "This sucks/I'd play it once/It's got some good ideas/This is the best game evar!"

Reviewer: "It's like Risk... but BETTER!"

General Public: "Ah, this game is like Risk. I like Risk. I might like this game."

BGGers: "Being 'better than Risk' covers a lot of ground, you know."

They really can't win...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Goodwin
United States
Grayslake
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I like Risk, so I might check this out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
This isn't even remotely similar to risk. Read my review if you want to know more about the game.

The quote from the game description on the BGG game page is:
Quote:
According to game designer and New York Times Best-Selling author, Lisa Smedmen, “it is like the best game of RISK I ever played with the bonus of political intrigue and in-game karmic consequences for nasty behaviour.”

Interestingly, Lisa Smedmen may be a game designer, but she isn't a designer of this game however, neither did she design any other game in the BGG database. The only information I can find about her on the internet is that she is a fantasy novelist.

Most of the text on the BGG game page of this game is either nonsense or advertising mumbo jumbo. Maybe I'll change it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j b Goodwin

Lynchburg
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny, I'm a gamer and have been for years, and with lots of games that are non-Hasbro. And yet, unlike a lot of supercilious gamers, I like Risk, and have many fond memories of it.

I'd say that "Like the best game of Risk" is a compliment.

Sorry you can't appreciate it. It is a classic that deserves to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Daneman
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here, here. Risk was a fine game for its time and should not be diss'd. However, now there are much better versions of it (like Risk 2210) that I would rather play than the original.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Whatever your opinion of Risk, my point is that the description is absurd. The two games are not even remotely similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rodriguez
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Lajos wrote:
Whatever your opinion of Risk, my point is that the description is absurd. The two games are not even remotely similar.

Yes, yes.... but would you say it is more like the orignal risk or the the later risk incarnations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elegwen O\\\'Maoileoin
Canada
flag msg tools
Hey Everyone,

Just thought I'd comment. As one of the designers, we were not trying to make a game like Risk. Risk is, I believe, the grandfather of 4X games. However, we were approaching our game from the vantage of filling a niche. We are gamers, board, RPG and computer. We like Republic of Rome, Twilight, Game of Thrones and such. But we wanted one that was less predictable, more social and political -- where players can trade anything with anyone anytime -- and still not abuse the mechanics by being too evil (hence the built in Corruption mechanics that lead to Prosecution and Death of each Party's Senators). I probably have the least experience with Risk of the four of us, and Miss Smedman comparing us to such a historic and successful game I take as a compliment. Also, while best known as a novelist, I believe she has been a part of groups that design RPGs for many years, though I am not 100% sure.

In any case, if anyone has questions about the game, we are always happy to field them. We hope you all enjoy it as much as we do, and at least get a chance to try it out in the new year.

Peace,
Elegwen O'Maoileoin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Tehuti wrote:
We like Republic of Rome, (...)

Interesting, that was what the game reminded me of most strongly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Page
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
Lajos wrote:
Tehuti wrote:
We like Republic of Rome, (...)

Interesting, that was what the game reminded me of most strongly.

Now there's a comparison that's going to get people interested here on the geek...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Dunne
Ireland
flag msg tools
Well, Risk bored the hell out of me. I grew up playing an OLD game called Campaign, WAY OLD. However, having played this game (no, I'm not one of the designers) I thoroughly enjoyed it. I am primarily a Table top RPG kinda guy but this caused me to look at boardgames seriously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Baumbach
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lajos wrote:
This isn't even remotely similar to risk. Read my review if you want to know more about the game.

The quote from the game description on the BGG game page is:
Quote:
According to game designer and New York Times Best-Selling author, Lisa Smedmen, “it is like the best game of RISK I ever played with the bonus of political intrigue and in-game karmic consequences for nasty behaviour.”

Interestingly, Lisa Smedmen may be a game designer, but she isn't a designer of this game however, neither did she design any other game in the BGG database. The only information I can find about her on the internet is that she is a fantasy novelist.

Most of the text on the BGG game page of this game is either nonsense or advertising mumbo jumbo. Maybe I'll change it.

She worked on VOR, if I remember right. Didn't exactly design anything, but wrote some of the background material.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elegwen O\\\'Maoileoin
Canada
flag msg tools
Hi Charles,

good to hear from you on the GEEK. Wow, glad to hear our boardgame has affected someone of a role-player's sensibilities. I never took boardgames too seriously before playing in Ireland. Being primarily an RPG person. Of course, a good game is a good game and should ALWAYS be fun.

Anyway, good luck on ItzaCon III -- anyone here who does not know about the Galway game convention and is an easy Ryan Air flight away might consider it. Irish gamers are great fun.

I look forward to seeing if many roleplayers like Galactic Destiny as some of the playtesters have, such as yourself.

sincerely
Elegwen
GLE design team
------------------
www.killthehippies.ca
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Ryherd
United States
Mason City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heres the actual Quote
"Like the best game of risk I ever played,with the added bonus of political intrique and in-game karmic consequences for nasty behaviour"
--Lisa Smedman
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.