Brendan Whyte
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My rules questions/suggestions/clarifications:

1)
Q) Do cards allowing recruiting include recruiting of any available allies (Huns, Moors) or only the player's own home-country units?
A) It's not explicit, but I'm playing that *only* the allies card allows recruiting of Allies.

2)
Q) The Vandal cards have movement listed for "leaders", "regular cavalry", and "irregulars". Which Vandal units are regular or irregular? What about Huns and Moors?
A) I am playing that the 3 named Vandal units (Ammmatas, Gibamiund & Tata) are regular cavalry, and all other Vandal units are irregulars. I am also playing that Moors and Huns are irregular.

3)
Q) Rule 30.0 says recruits can be placed in empty spaces. Then it says "Otherwise place units as listed" and gives nation by nation lists of placement with friendly units. This is contradictory.
A) I am playing that Romans can only recruit into (Roman) friendly-occupied spaces, and Hellas. Romans cannot appear in empty spaces. Vandals can appear in empty spaces anywhere on the board (inc. Sicily, Sardinia, Baleares or Malta). Huns can also appear in empty spaces anywhere on the board. Moors, as per the last sentence in rule 30.0, can only be placed in manland North Africa, but can still appear in empty spaces.

4)
Q) It seems strange that fleets don't move parallel to the coasts. Is this correct?
A) There are two neval routes that need correcting. Delete the naval route SW out of Melita to the Tunisian countryside and add a route from Melita westward to Hadrumentum port. A new route should also be added northeast out of Caesarea to the sea space linking Baleares, Hippo Regius and Forum Triani. Then it is possible to consider all the naval routes as effectively parallelling the coast, and allowing sensible coastal hops between ports.

5)
Q) Mountains give a -1 die pentaly to the attacker. This means Moors, who have three 1-die units, and are the North African natives, can't attack into mountains at all, which seems strange.
A) I play that Moors ignore the mountain combat effect, but it applies to all other nations (Huns, Romans, Vandals).

6)
More a clarification: There are explicit Battle Results Table columns for Romans, and for Vandals & Moors. The huns, as elite units, use the elite unit column. I recommend pencilling "Huns and other" at the top of this column for clarity.

7)
Q) Why can fleets only retreat to friendly-occupied ports, and not vacant ones?
A) I see no good reason. Allow fleets to retreat to vacant and friendly-occupied ports.

8)
The Roman card 'Magister Militum' seems too powerful: each turn (unless Belisarius dies) from Turn 1, the Roman can evict two stacks of Vandals from 2 fortresses and replace them with a Roman garrison. Once outside the fortress, the Vandals are much more vulnerable to attack, and while a Vandal stack can try to retake the fortress, it can only do so on its turn, on a 6 (16%), while the Roman garrison inside will panic or eliminate an attacking Vandal on a 4-6 (50%). I suggest reducing the effect of this card to one fortress only, not two.

9)
Roman garrison units cannot move or attack (only defend if attacked), and while not made expicit, I play that there garrisons can only ever be placed in fortresses, and that there can only ever be a single Roman garrison in a fortress at a time (that's why there's only 5 garrisons: 1 for each fortress on the map).

10)
Clarification: note that Standard rule 9.1, Geographical barriers, does not apply in this game: there are no such barriers on the map.

11)
Clarification: rules 18.0 and 31.4, elite units. Elite units are indicated by a '+' symbol, not an 'E'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Hollern
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Brendan:

What follows are my interpretations unless I note otherwise. You may wish to check out the Belisarius's War game Forum on Consimworld (www.consimworld.com/forum). I will note CSW to refer to Consimworld below.

1) I allow Huns and Moors to be recruited with any card that allows recruiting as they reside in either the Roman or Vandal Recruit box.

2) All Huns and Moors are irregular (CSW). These are the only Irregular troops that the Vandals can controls. Gelimer is a Leader and all other Vandal troops are Regular Cavalry.

3) I have been playing that the placement of all units is specified therefore you never place a unit in a empty space.

4) Agree with you on Hardrumetum not so sure about the others.

5) Seems reasonable.

6) Okay. Or List all three elite units at the top of the column.

7) May be that this follows the logic that all recruits go to occupied areas. I'll stay with the rules as written.

8) Okay, I'll stay with the card as written.

9) Agree

10) Agree, geographic barriers only appear in Caesar's War

11) Agree

Terry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Acker
United States
Hartwell
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brendan and Terry, thank you very much. I have combined and printed up your Q&A to become part of my copy of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Wood
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:
Q) Rule 30.0 says recruits can be placed in empty spaces. Then it says "Otherwise place units as listed" and gives nation by nation lists of placement with friendly units. This is contradictory.
A) I am playing that Romans can only recruit into (Roman) friendly-occupied spaces, and Hellas. Romans cannot appear in empty spaces. Vandals can appear in empty spaces anywhere on the board (inc. Sicily, Sardinia, Baleares or Malta). Huns can also appear in empty spaces anywhere on the board. Moors, as per the last sentence in rule 30.0, can only be placed in manland North Africa, but can still appear in empty spaces.

Reading the rule literally, it's not contradictory. Hellas might be empty.

It's poorly written ... but it literally says, Vandal land units can only go into occupied forts, and/or one land unit per turn with Gelimer.

This being the case, if Gelimer's dead, and the Vandals hold no forts, they can't recruit any more Vandal land units. They have no Hellas of their own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.