Popular Tags: [View All]
Raviv Nagel
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some details here.
I'm mostly intrigued by "Glory Points rules replaced with more straightforward castle defense"
This sounds like they are going back to how the original prototype worked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ross
Ireland
Cork
Ireland
flag msg tools
The mysteries about how we evolved should not distract us from the indisputable fact that we did evolve. -- Jerry A. Coyne
badge
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. -- E E Cummings
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if that is strictly a second edition as the edition I own corrected the complaints that came out with the original printing - the rulebook for both attacker and defender was printed as a single copy - with two independent rulebooks. The big difference was a tightening up of the rules and reducing the gates toughness from an 8 to a 6, if memory serves me right. But seeing this absolutely great game receive a polishing piques my interest.

It promises the following two (three?) improvements:

1 - Glory Points rules replaced with more straightforward castle defense.

The glory points system is a little fiddly to get to grips with at the first attempt and memorising how the castle defences worked could be tricky at times so seeing a more streamlined system proposed is a very good thing.

2 - Improved components, with better artwork.

The components were wooden cubes with some various chits, nothing special, but they got the job done.

I hope this new edition is a success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn von Knorring
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
The picture is a swedish cartoon-figure Herman Hedning. English info here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herman_Hedning
mbmbmbmbmb
I keeps my fingers crossed that the IOS app is also under way...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lelas
Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ACTING TALENT!
mbmbmbmbmb
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B81kTYRIYAA8lUT.jpg:large
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo García
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe a lighter reimplementation like 51State-Imperial Settlers?

Anything about the Stronghold Undead reprint?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Heupgen
Germany
Pulheim
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Anything about the Stronghold Undead reprint?

The designer said that it will be targeted for 2016.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Markey
United States
Lebanon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yetikeeper wrote:

I loved the current art. I'm curious to see what direction this goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Adam
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Congratulations. You have just discovered the secret message.
badge
Please send your answer to Old Pink, care of the Funny Farm, Chalfont.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering if the scoring update will be compatible with the earlier editions. It works- don't get me wrong- but it's always been a sticking point when explaining the game to newcomers. Hopefully the new scoring system feels as deep as the original system without being as convoluted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raviv Nagel
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
freechinanow wrote:
I'm wondering if the scoring update will be compatible with the earlier editions. It works- don't get me wrong- but it's always been a sticking point when explaining the game to newcomers. Hopefully the new scoring system feels as deep as the original system without being as convoluted.

I hope they remove "scoring" altogether. Either the attacker breaks into the castle, or the defender manages to hold long enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Markey
United States
Lebanon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
raviv wrote:
freechinanow wrote:

I hope they remove "scoring" altogether. Either the attacker breaks into the castle, or the defender manages to hold long enough.

That would certainly be easier to explain. I like it!

Also, I hope Holy Glare gets nerfed. In effect it's like having a rule that says "The attacker's best attack each round doesn't count".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior A
France
flag msg tools
What do you think, I can get the 2nd edition for 50$ right now. Is it worth waiting for the reprint?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mikepmarkey wrote:
yetikeeper wrote:

I'm very curious, too. The original art is excellent. I'm afraid this "better artwork" may actually be worse. The components are just fine. The only significant improvement I can imagine is replacing the wooden cubes with plastic miniatures (that would be awesome!), but the mechanic of drawing units from the bag would have to be changed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo García
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Badigel wrote:
What do you think, I can get the 2nd edition for 50$ right now. Is it worth waiting for the reprint?

It's hard to say. I usually would think that it worths waiting for the reprint but if they do something like Study in Emerald v2 or Imperial Settlers (a lighter game) maybe the valley games edition will rise in value...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior A
France
flag msg tools
raiknold wrote:
Badigel wrote:

It's hard to say. I usually would think that it worths waiting for the reprint but if they do something like Study in Emerald v2 or Imperial Settlers (a lighter game) maybe the valley games edition will rise in value...

What was done with both Study and Imperial?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Badigel wrote:

i have a feeling that the new edition will have better components and a more streamlined set of rules, as a gamer who prefs heavier games, in this case i think it's a good thing and am looking forward to the new edition.

i love the original and played it at least 10+ times, which is a lot for me, but with that said, i found it convoluted and confusing. the attacker i think won one of those games, and that was me playing as a very experienced player against a first timer.

i would advise waiting for the second edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior A
France
flag msg tools
darlok wrote:
Badigel wrote:

i have a feeling that the new edition will have better components and a more streamlined set of rules, as a gamer who prefs heavier games, in this case i think it's a good thing and am looking forward to the new edition.

i love the original and played it at least 10+ times, which is a lot for me, but with that said, i found it convoluted and confusing. the attacker i think won one of those games, and that was me playing as a very experienced player against a first timer.

i would advise waiting for the second edition.

There's already a second edition that fixed a lot of the problems, the Valley/Portal one, which is the one I am referring to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Markey
United States
Lebanon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
See, this also confuses me. Valley Games was the de facto 2nd edition, right? So shouldn't this be "3rd edition"? Or, do a Wizards of the Coast and call it Stronghold 2.5?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo García
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Badigel wrote:
raiknold wrote:
Badigel wrote:

What was done with both Study and Imperial?

M.Wallace announced a new version of Study with simpler rules and lighter, giving up some of the mechanics that, in my opinion, make Study in Emerald a great game.
Imperial Settlers is a reimplementation of 51st State with simpler rules and less depth which, in my opinion, is less interesting than the original version.

I think that now a days is some kind of tendency to do simpler versions of great games to do them mainstream products which is great for de company but for me isn't interesting

I hope that Stronghold v2 will remain loyal to the original version
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YM C
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hope this new edition is even bettermeeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cory swafford
United States
Waterbury
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any chance of an upgrade pack? instant buy for me if there is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Jones
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Quote:

In an email to/from Ignacy, he said this is exactly how it will work in the 2nd edition. Either the attackers breach the castle and win or they don't and lose--there will be no points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Dementen
Belgium
Sombreffe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mercurycs wrote:
Is there any chance of an upgrade pack? instant buy for me if there is.

+1 Upgrade pack would be awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Van den Broeck
Belgium
Zwijndrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One upgrade pack for me too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tham
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Best game ever!
badge
Happy Gaming!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm,

If they are reprinting the undead expansion too, this game screams kickstarter.

Kickstarter loves to support a game that has minis and undead...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Space Trucker
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mikepmarkey wrote:
yetikeeper wrote:

That was exactly my thought, too. The board really looks awesome - hopefully it isn't not 'worseproved'. The cards actually could be somehow improved, they dont look that special:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1463090/stronghold

luvmywife wrote:
Quote:

In an email to/from Ignacy, he said this is exactly how it will work in the 2nd edition. Either the attackers breach the castle and win or they don't and lose--there will be no points.

Good news, sounds way more thematic and intuitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.