Scotty Pruitt
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Conquest of Pangea Review

If you are like me, you usually will read the first paragraph or two of a review and then skip to the end and look for the "In conclusion...". I don't really care about the components or the turn order for a game. I intentionally like to be left in the dark on how the game is played. This adds a certain since of adventure when reading the rule book and playing the game for the first time. I generally scan the review looking for the part where it talks about the game's strengths and weaknesses or pros and cons. What makes it great? What makes it stink? These points are generally discussed in a conclusion paragraph at the end of a review.

That said, I'm going to skip to the end of my review. Straight to the good stuff. The pros. The cons. The stinks and the stink-nots. This shouldn't be a problem since, most of the time, there are several other reviews that discuss turn order or the components for a game. Here we go: The Good. The Bad. The Ugly/The Pretty (depends on the rating).

The Good
The components are wonderful! Top quality cards (maybe a bit small for my tastes). Colorful pieces. Attractive board. All of these come together to make the game visually appealing. The game comes with several ways to store these components also. Draw string bags and a plastic divider, Oh my!

The Bad
Randomness. Philip Orbanes took a big bucket and random and smothered Pangea with it. From setup, to game play, to the end-game, it is all random. It is possible that each player's starting position will be so unbalanced that he has almost no chance of winning or he can cruise to victory. Barf. The actual game play has a mechanic where you draw a card and do what it says on the card. For the most part, these cards destroy a unit or create a unit in some random area. Uhg. Why oh why was this included? It does almost nothing to enhance game play. In fact, it most definitely hurts it. No amount of strategy or planning can compensate for a card that says "pick a piece and make it go away". Lastly, the end game. In general, you have no idea when the game is going to end. You can tell that it is getting close, but you can't tell for sure. This part doesn't bother me too much. I included it just to emphasize one more element of randomness.

The Ugly
I give this game a 3.5. I'm fairly forgiving when it comes to games and rarely do I rate something below a 5. For a game to receive a sub 5 rating, it must do something that really gets under my skin. CoP gets under my skin. You may as well roll some dice to determine the winner and save the 2 hours you would spend playing this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Broadhead
United States
Pueblo
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the decision has been made on this one. This many people can't be wrong. Too bad, sounds like a great idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Leveille
Canada
St. Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope someone can steal the best bits from this and make a better game of it. I love the shifting contintents. I wanted to like this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotty Pruitt
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. I think there is a good game in there somewhere. I think the the game would be substantially improved if you just ignored the random effects on the time cards and came up with a different setup procedure. I'm not sure what that would be though...

Some amount of randomness is a good thing.

Phelonius wrote:
I hope someone can steal the best bits from this and make a better game of it. I love the shifting contintents. I wanted to like this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam McLean
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good review, it seems that the randomness is what turns people off the most. I do like some randomness, such acts as earthquakes and volcanoes are truly random (as in real life). Our problem was the choosing how those random acts affected the board --- such as the player who turned the time card choosing where and to whom it happens.

If you notice my post "scaling down random events", my 2nd reply in that post, we developed an idea that, at least to us, makes the game a lot more enjoyable --- that of making cards with each region to determine where an event occurs. It allows for some randomness but prevents the random events from controlling the outcome. They may disrupt a bit but it causes the players to do most of the disrupting with their plans. Creates a little more strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Estes
United States
La Vergne
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
littlechild_zu wrote:
I don't really care about the components or the turn order for a game. I intentionally like to be left in the dark on how the game is played. This adds a certain since of adventure when reading the rule book and playing the game for the first time.

Hear, hear! I was beginning to think I was the only one in these parts who felt this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Young
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife used to work in a game store up in Redmond, WA, a fairly hip town when it comes to gaming in general. She and about 3-4 other people who worked at their store could not even figure out how to set the thing up, and these are all gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.