Popular Tags: [View All]
Connor Alexander
United States
St. Augustine
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys.

Played my first session of RT last night with my girlfriend. The giant board filled with bits was a little imposing to her at first, but after a quick run through of the rules I assured her it wasn't as complicated as it looked.

For my tycoon card I pulled Gould, the 'issue less shares of stock than everyone else', and I figured I was a shoe-in for meeting his condition. Just needed a little self control. The game started with low bids for first play (in a 2 player game I figure auctions to go first don't get that high most of the time anyway) and we both slowly started building our empires. She focused on building a network in the southeast, I focused on the northeast. She learned her lesson after the game ended.

We were neck in neck for the first 5-6 turns, slowly building and making deliveries. I made one mistake early on, I had issued 3 shares of stock and she had issued 5, but we were starting to get moving on the income track. I overextended myself and had to issue 2 more shares to finish a railroad to one of the cities out west in order to complete one of the '4 extra bonus points for X delivery' cards. I ended up getting 5 points from it, but neither of us issued any further stocks during the game and it cost my my tycoon victory condition. Not quite worth it.

The turning point in the game was when I upgraded to engine 4, scoring a 4 point card, and immediately made a 4 jump delivery. After that I urbanized New Haven and Albany and started making 3-5 jump deliveries like crazy, racing ahead to 55 or so points. My girlfriend had just finished completing a track to New Orleans and was about to start making 5 jump deliveries to bridge the gap when the last city emptied and the game ended.

Overall we loved the game. I knew I'd enjoy it, but I wasn't sure whether or not a 2 player game would live up to my expectations, and I certainly wasn't sure it would end up being a significant other worthy game. The entire game lasted about an hour and a half, which is nice as it was our first. I really like the ability to lengthen or shorten the game based on victory conditoins as well. Landed high on my list today, and it may even go up in the future. Gotta love medium-weight games that end up being girlfriend friendly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.