Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Wodzianski
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Painter - Player
mbmbmbmbmb
What I'm curious about - does the expansion make accommodations for a seventh player? The back of the box says "Adds 1 player."

I know. I know. Many gladiators on BGG think six players bloats the game. But I've been treating this title as an annual party game. The more Dominus at the table, the better!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Pajunen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would think so. All you really need are just the new starting gladiators and slaves. Maybe some gold tokens, too.

Sadly for me and my group, getting 6 people together is hard enough, I'll probably never get to experience Spartacus with 7 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this game gets better and better with more players. I'll definitely play seven player games as soon as the expansion is released!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Macias
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Five is the maximum mumber for me. Way too long with six, but ok with five. I'll add the extra house for variety but there's no way I'm playing this game with seven players ^^u
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess different players prefer different playing times. Spartacus is nice in that it allows various player counts and a variable playing time without compromising the game too much.

As a comparison we played the third race in our ten race Circus Maximus campaign the other day. Eleven players, sixteen chariots and twelve hours...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wodzianski
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Painter - Player
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems as though both expansions will have enough components to allow a seventh player to join the table. In regards to my original post, that number makes for a long game session. However; six of my best buddies sitting down for four hours, drinking beer, and backstabbing each other is almost a perfect birthday party for this middle aged nerd. That my wife has agreed to such shenanigans for another year is even better.

The chances of this expansion arriving before my birthday is getting less and less likely (3/19). Some online sites say 2/28. Some say August. CSI says March. I don't think anybody really knows...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Korner
United States
Tomah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If worried about game length start with more influence at the beginning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ramos
United States
Wethersfield
CT - Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apocalypse Dude wrote:
If worried about game length start with more influence at the beginning.

Played a 6 player game starting from 7 influence. The game ended in 45 minutes. It was the weirdest game of Spartacus ever. The last player to go in an intrigue phase (the 5th turn I think) had 9 influence and got 3 on his turn. No one could do anything to stop it because we wasted our reactions on each other. In short... The play time can vary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Olson
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
At this point, after a couple dozen plays, I don't both with starting at 7 Influence. Someone almost always wins by the end of the 2nd Arena Phase. If not the 2nd, then the 3rd is guaranteed to be the last.

If we want a short game, we play something else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.