Subject: In-depth interview with designer Caleb Grace rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Switajewski

Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey guys,

We recently had the honor to sit down with LotR LCG developer Caleb Grace! He was great, and offered up some fantastic insight into the development of the game, so we had to share this!

Disclaimer: It is a long interview, but you cannot put restraints on nerdery this pure.

http://cardboardoftherings.com/2015/01/31/e74-morgul-dolphin...

Enjoy, and as always, join us at all of our content venues:

www.cardboardoftherings.com

www.facebook.com/cardboardoftherings

www.twitch.tv/cotrpodcast

www.youtube.com/cotrpodcast
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah a hilarious episode. When Treason comes out you'll have to tell us what the Dolphins covered up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian G
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm so bummed we couldn't end up sharing it with you. But I guarantee you'll know exactly what it is when Treason comes out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was a fantastic episode. My guess for translating the dolphin speak is Gandalf the White.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Interesting. Gandalf the White so early after the Gandalf hero? Hmm, anything is possible. I guess the uniqueness problem will be legitimately overcome by adding "the White". The only other thing I can think of that could grant such a reaction would be Treabeard hero (bearing in mind Théoden hero is more of a given).

edit: Now, I wasn't making any sense. You can't have Gandalf and Gandalf the White. Well, you can but it wouldn't make any sense to have them both in play. So if it is a new version of Gandalf, he would have to be called just Gandalf again. I really don't think we get two versions of him within two saga boxes but the fact that did come back will have to be addressed somehow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm reactionwise I guess Gandalf the White could work, I can't think of much else that would be so dramatic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I agree timing-wise it seems unlikely we'd get another Gandalf so soon but I think it's pretty safe to assume he has to be there in some fashion. I'm betting on another ally version rather than hero. Treebeard hero is also a really good guess, but again we have the whole "we just got him" thing there too. Either way I can't wait to find out!

Edit: Actually I'm going with Gandalf the White as a hero and here's why: the Treason Of Saruman is part of the campaign right? Well in the Moria quest they practically dared us to sacrifice Gandalf on the bridge so that we could kill the Balrog. But that would put him on the dead heroes list and then we wouldn't be able to use him for the rest of the campaign! Unless.............

What if they brought him back and made a note on one of the campaign cards that you could swap him in, kind of like they did at the beginning of the Road Darkens. How awesome would that be?? So awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes, we got Treebeard (though as an ally) just recently too. But remember, saga is a different thing, they expect people might playing having just the saga and core set. In that way, there is no Treebeard. Having just said that, this one box might not be enough to fit the Ents in, so they might just leave them out of the saga completely -- sadly.

I agree, as for the reaction, Gandalf makes the most sense -- but I still find him a weird choice, after we just got the other one. On the other hand, no better time for another version to appear.

Lastly, only two heroes in this (beside Aragorn), right? Well, if Gandalf is in, it would only leave a single space -- whilst we should see Théoden and Éomer introduced in the saga (Éowyn comes with the core, of course). It can be that either (or even both) of them come with Saga no. 5.

Here is the list of major characters appearing in the books 3 to 6 that haven't appeared before:
Théoden
Éomer
Ěowyn (core set hero already)
Faramir (core set ally already)
Denethor (core set hero already)
Imrahil
Beregond
Treabeard
Sméagol

I can't think of anyone else that important. And I think the only one we might not see is Treebeard. Sméagol may be an objective, but I am hoping for an ally. As I said elsewhere, I hope we shall see Dernhelm attachment for Éowyn instead of another hero (or ally version). I think both Théoden and Éomer hero versions are given. Faramir probably as well. Denethor ally perhaps but not very likely. Imrahil should appear, probably as an ally. Beregond could be, as an ally. The Rohan troops (Gamling, Háma, Erkebrand) all unlikely.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anatole
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They way they reacted on the podcast, I wouldn't be surprised if we got a Smeagol hero. He's the only one on that list that would get such shocked reaction. Theoden could have got that reaction, mainly because Brian is such a fan of Rohan, but I have convinced myself now there is an outside chance we get a Smeagol hero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Anatole69 wrote:
They way they reacted on the podcast, I wouldn't be surprised if we got a Smeagol hero. He's the only one on that list that would get such shocked reaction. Theoden could have got that reaction, mainly because Brian is such a fan of Rohan, but I have convinced myself now there is an outside chance we get a Smeagol hero.

But he would be a better candidate for the next saga -- following the events in book IV. In this book, Sméagol does not appear at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anatole
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yes, my mistake. I thought the third set had come out already.

Then I go with a Theoden hero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Pearson
msg tools
My money is on a Gandalf ally (the white!) for reasons stated above where thematically you can sacrifice the hero to the balrog and then drop the ally in for next saga. Hopefully a Gandalf ally that sticks around without threat increase!

Alternatively a quickbeam hero I think could have produced that Reaction. Did Brandon not design a quickbeam hero ages ago?

Theoden seems almost a guarantee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Wow, I would love to get Quickbeam. That would be brave, indeed. But I feel the reaction would be more of a surprise, well... Hopefully we shall see soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mighty Rauros
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What if "Gandalf the White" was a boon card, allowing you to bring him back? Or, since you can really sacrifice any hero, a boon that allows you to bring one dead hero back into the campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anatole
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would prefer that over a Gandalf the White, since it gives the player more freedom in how they interact with the story of the trilogy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes, I think that would be great: a card that brings Gandalf (specifically) back into play. But as for the guessing, I do not think they could have said that in such a short period of time (noised out).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Eckes
United States
Bloomington
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm assuming Theoden. Either way, I'm just excited for everything coming out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Boggs
United Kingdom
Cardiff
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally got around to listening to the podcast.

I suspect it needs to be a major character from Book 3. New Aragorn is the Fellowship hero. I do wonder if we'll get new versions of Gimli and Legolas. Théoden is a possibility as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Switajewski

Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmb
LordRorthorn wrote:

I suspect it needs to be a major character from Book 3. New Aragorn is the Fellowship hero. I do wonder if we'll get new versions of Gimli and Legolas. Théoden is a possibility as well.

Ian, it's been out for TWO. WHOLE. DAYS. We'll forgive the delay...this time.

We were super sad we couldn't keep that part unaltered, but rest assured everyone will squeal like little girls just like Brian and me. Also, you may be interested to know that Legolas and Gimli were already spoiled for allies in the saga box, so...make of that what you will cool

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5338

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Boggs
United Kingdom
Cardiff
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
l3afonthewind wrote:
LordRorthorn wrote:

Ian, it's been out for TWO. WHOLE. DAYS. We'll forgive the delay...this time.

We were super sad we couldn't keep that part unaltered, but rest assured everyone will squeal like little girls just like Brian and me. Also, you may be interested to know that Legolas and Gimli were already spoiled for allies in the saga box, so...make of that what you will cool

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5338

Hey, to be fair it takes almost two whole days to listen to it!!!

And it was very interesting. Very interesting indeed

I'd forgotten the allies had been spoiled already. I do like Gimli ally, nicely thematic.

So Théoden it is then. Probably. Maybe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
This is getting even more interesting. I cannot imagine the squeaking coming as a result of new Théoden hero. I believe it is kinda expected, especially if Legolas and Gimli are allies. And it needs to be a major character from the book. That really leaves us with either Gandalf or Treebeard (because I really think Éomer is coming out with saga no. 5).

Assuming I am right on the above, this is a hard choice:
Gandalf
+ the resurrection needs be addressed.
- he appeared in the previous saga box.
Treabeard
+ he should make an appearance in the saga, the whole chapter is named after him.
- he appeared in the previous adventure pack (not a saga but still it would be a strange choice to have him there knowing he is coming out here, albeit as a hero this time; Treebeard is also a strange candidate to have both a hero and an ally of).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.