Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The maneuver tool looks cool, but do you think there's going to be issues with having to move miniatures out of the way to use it? Seems like that might be a pain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That will always be an issue with measurement based movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colby Bimore
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Without having tried the maneuver tool myself I tend to agree with your initial observations.

Perhaps since we are playing with Capital Ships the miniature density on the tabletop won't be heavy and so the placement of the tool won't be such a big issue.

I'm hoping that it won't be fragile either but I guess we will see when the games gets released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At GenCon some players did have issues when moving through/around clusters of fighters. There were some large fighter groups out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colby Bimore
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
I guess players will have to temporarily place tokens/cards on the tabletop in place of their minis if the minis are in the way of an accurate maneuver tool reading?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In X-Wing you can tip the ships on their sides, or use markers to indicate their position. I don't know if either of these solutions will work in Armada, though, like it doesn't work in X-Wing with the Falcon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeykins wrote:
That will always be an issue with measurement based movement.

It was a pain with X-wing, but manageable, but this tool is much longer and more cumbersome. Seems like it may be even more of a problem than with most games. (hoping not tho)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colby Bimore
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
We will have to see how this tool works and see if we can come up with an alternate that isn't so cumbersome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
Just by looking at that movement tool any logical person should worry. Great idea, but putting down a long clickable garden hose in the middle of a pitched battle might be problematic, right?

Still, we haven't seen the game yet. Who knows, they might have changed the tool slightly. I'm optimistic about it as FFG has been on fire lately with the quality of their games. Pretty sure that they wouldn't release a game with an unplayable movement tool. They've branded themselves as a great gaming company for a good reason.

My advice, for what it's worth, would be not to stress until you play around with it yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
It could be worse. The Flight Path templates have been consolidated by numbers into 4 piece sets: all of the "1" moves; all of the "2" moves; all of the "3" moves; and a straight piece with marks for "4" & "5" and long enough for "6" straight. What makes it worse is that on the 1, 2, 3 pieces, they didn't even make it so that you would flip for left or right. Instead, it covers the straight, both banks, and both turns so when you are in a cluster and trying to do a 3 maneuver, you may need to move several other miniatures around to place the template.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hinkes
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can put the tool on either side of the ship, though. So that should help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristoff Bergenholm
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Broadstorm wrote:
It could be worse. The Flight Path templates have been consolidated by numbers into 4 piece sets: all of the "1" moves; all of the "2" moves; all of the "3" moves; and a straight piece with marks for "4" & "5" and long enough for "6" straight. What makes it worse is that on the 1, 2, 3 pieces, they didn't even make it so that you would flip for left or right. Instead, it covers the straight, both banks, and both turns so when you are in a cluster and trying to do a 3 maneuver, you may need to move several other miniatures around to place the template.

Those consolidated templates are terrible, and you're a terrible person if you try using them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeromus wrote:

I doubt that that is the case, unless you go straight, since if you turn these two would give you differing final positions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tlee33 wrote:
The maneuver tool looks cool, but do you think there's going to be issues with having to move miniatures out of the way to use it? Seems like that might be a pain.

I had the same concern when I first saw that tool, and it's one of the factors which is off putting to me about this game. The other one is that the stands that the capital ships sit on look like small coffee tables. As cool as the models look (and they look very, very cool), the game tools seem clunky and frankly ugly. I much prefer the stands and templates in X-Wing and Attack Wing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cal Neuvost
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeykins wrote:
In X-Wing you can tip the ships on their sides, or use markers to indicate their position. I don't know if either of these solutions will work in Armada, though, like it doesn't work in X-Wing with the Falcon.

You can mark large ships with a movement template just like the small ones ...

Zeromus wrote:

A lot of maneuvers will only work on one side and would cause the ship and template to overlap at the template's hinges otherwise ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neuvost wrote:
monkeykins wrote:

You can mark large ships with a movement template just like the small ones ...

I mean you can't just tip the Falcon over on its side and move through it. You can still place a speed 2 template along the side or speed 1 between the nubs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mad tulip
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
i suggest to mount at leats 2 webcams together with some laserpointers attached to some gentries over the table and hook it to some object recognition software so that the webcams can calculate initial and final position of the move and the laserpointers can outline the corners of the base to be placed.

once thats working we could also use the system for "is in range"/"is not in range" arguments that will surely happen in this type of game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry DeStefano
United States
Bloomingburg
New York
flag msg tools
Same here worried about the clickable movement template. Thinking if it can be broken down in sections, might be better. Why do you need the whole stick if only moving one. Or if your moving a lot but the first 2/3 is clear move that, then start worrying about how to clear the last 1/3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mad tulip
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
well you can still move just on the front segment 3->4 for a 1 move if stuff is in the way as all the dimensions apear to be the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colby Bimore
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
At this point it is useless for us to speculate on how the maneuver tool will be.

Once the game is released we will be able to judge for ourselves and then decide if we like the tool or not.

The only other option might be to contact one of the game's developers or playtesters and get their feedback.

Good luck to us all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
The Tool looks to be fine. Check out the new article up on FFG.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5357

You will be able to buy a separate tool. It can be taken apart to have a short one to squeeze into small spaces.

edited: terrible spelling!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colby Bimore
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Interesting.

The news update just came out. It's like FFG was looking in on this thread lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
R2EQ wrote:

You will be able to buy a separate tool. It can be taken apart to have a short one to squeeze into small spaces.

This is brilliant. Add that to my preorder...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davey Jones
Netherlands
Leusden
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
R2EQ wrote:

looking at the latest pictures it seems the new all plastic tool is
now also included in the box, instead of the plastic/cardboard one
that you can see in earlier pics and the demo video.

madtulip wrote:
i suggest to mount at leats 2 webcams together with some laserpointers attached to some gentries over the table and hook it to some object recognition software so that the webcams can calculate initial and final position of the move and the laserpointers can outline the corners of the base to be placed.

once thats working we could also use the system for "is in range"/"is not in range" arguments that will surely happen in this type of game.

actualy all it would take is one good camera and the right software.
maybe a symbol on the bases of each ship to help the software recognise them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mad tulip
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Davey Jones wrote:
madtulip wrote:

actualy all it would take is one good camera and the right software.
maybe a symbol on the bases of each ship to help the software recognise them.

The x-box Kinect camera can do stereoscopic recordings for quite cheap and there are libraries avialable which already implement creating the 3D meshes. still object recognition has to be code afaik.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.