Popular Tags: [View All]
Nundo Bolas
Netherlands
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
So, how many cards does the starting hand of the Overlord have?
2 or 3? or zero?

and how many cards does the overlord draw Each Turn? 2 or 3? soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Johnson
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
come on dude...read the rules...i mean and the FAQ

OL starts with 3 cards in his hand and draws 2 per turn.

Ya, they missed this part in the rule book, it's in the latest FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, 2/turn is the right number (expect if you have a certain power in play). However it is strongly recommended to take 3/turn with 4 heroes and only 1/turn with 2 heroes. Its not official ruling but seems to work very well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimi Essex
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Actually, the new rules for Well of Darkness say the overlord now draws 3 cards a turn no matter what.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3 cards/turn?! What do the heroes get in exchange for that power surge? As far as I recall the rulebook the only gain they have is the new potion (as more ability cards only add to the diversity, but not to the over all power)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ciner wrote:
Actually, the new rules for Well of Darkness say the overlord now draws 3 cards a turn no matter what.

It says no such thing. It says the OL player starts the game by drawing three cards - this is just a clarification as that rule is missing from the original rulebook.

The OL will still be getting a threat advantage with the new rules anyways as he'll undoubtedly be swapping out low-threat low-utility cards for cards that either have better effects and/or can be cashed in for more threat.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Kirby
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
There are a couple guides posted on the main Descent strategy forum explaining how to play the Overlord effectively. In all of the original scenarios past #4 or so, I've found the game to be shockingly balanced towards the Overlord - 80% win ratio vs. 4 players. Several others posting on the FFG boards agree, and I think those that do have found the optimal card playing strategies.

The players that I play with make few errors, they don't group up on doors, chests, open chests while there are still monsters around, etc. If you're truly having problems winning as the OL, I suggest a bit of research. Going to start playing WoD this weekend, we'll see how the new cards/abilities stack up.

Drawing 3 cards vs. players would snuff the small % of time they DO manage to win, so I find that a problematic solution. Those in quest of scaling don't find that the threat generation is sufficient? I agree the monster scaling with hit points has virtually no effect.

Ssineraxal
(The evil Overlord what spawns at midnight)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
However - one should not mix up three different topics:

* Problem #1 - the balancing of each mission versus 3 Heroes.
Here mission 1 definitely needs some more power (don't give any conquest tokens for chest maybe).
Mission 2-4 seem to be ok
Missions 5-10 seem to need some reduction in OL power in order for the heroes to win. I haven't heared good ideas as how to scale them. Maybe reduce the OL threat/turn by 1 helps?

* Problem #2 - scaling for 2 or 4 Heroes. Here it looks like that the 1 respectively 3 OL cards work fine.

* Problem #3 - scaling for the treachery deck. This has yet to be determined, but 1 less threat token/turn for the OL seems to be a workable starting point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.