Popular Tags: solitaire_variant [+] [View All]
Jonathan Bailey
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Unofficial Revolver Solo Rules Cards v 1.1 was brought to my attention a while back, so I decided I would start working on converting the rules to work with A:TTiW. After noticing people ask about solo variants a few times, I finally got off my duff and finished. Posting here for public review and comment - in particular, if anyone has experience with both A:TTiW and Revolver and can confirm that I got all the cards switched over right, that'd be awesome.

Thanks to
Ray Gaer
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
for conceiving of the solo rules in the first place; this is nothing but a copy of his work.

Note: I have edited the rules for both the original cards and CapAp's redesign, but am only posting one version of the rules here - the one for the original version, because I assume that's what most people are playing with (personally, I'm using CapAp's). I will update with dropbox links to both versions of the rules when I get a chance.

Aliens: This Time It’s War
Solo Rules v1.0
adapted from Ray Gear’s (Raygun1966) Revolver Solo Rules v1.1

Set-up Options
Easy
• Play with the same set up as in the two player game.
Harder
• Add an additional bonus card for the Aliens when they enter a new battlefield.
• Place the additional card under the battlefield so you do not forget.
• Increase difficulty by adding additional cards to each of the battlefields to make it progressively harder.

Three Card Rule:
In this solo variant the Aliens can almost NEVER have less than 3 cards in hand, unless forced to discard by the Marines actions. Cards in the Aliens hand cannot be played if the card cost will drop the Aliens hand size to less than 3 cards. There are only two exceptions:
1. If the Alien Queen is available, she must be played before all other cards. When getting the Alien Queen played, the hand may fall below the 3 card limit.
2. If the Aliens will to lose the game at the end of the turn, but still have cards that can avoid defeat, then they may play below 3 cards.

Main Alien Priorities:
1. Kill as many Marines characters per turn as possible.
2. Draw additional cards from the Aliens deck whenever possible to try to obtain instant kill cards (however, hold those cards if you don't need the extra power).
3. Destroy as many firepower cards in the current battlefield as possible.
4. Force the Marines to discard as many cards as possible.
5. Win the battle in the attack phase when possible.
6. Try to get a +1 advantage in power with the most cost-efficient card play and save remaining cards.
7. When in doubt, play the cards likely to give the Aliens the best hand possible.

How to Play the Aliens Cards:
1. Most important is that the Aliens always end the turn with 3 cards remaining in hand and to have 1 more power than the Marines if possible.
2. Always play all instant kill cards.
3. If a row blocking card is available in hand, play it to the current battlefield if the Marine power will still be greater than the Alien power after it is played
4. If the Aliens have a greater total power than the Marines, skip to step 5; if the Marines have a total power equal to or greater than the Aliens, follow each step below until the Aliens have a greater total power or run out of options for the turn:
A. Always play Alien Warrior first to draw another card.
B. Eliminate firepower cards if possible.
C. Play Alien Swarm cards if needed at this time. If there are not enough cards in hand or power is more than needed, move to step D.
D. Play the highest power card needed to beat the Marines power by at least one (use row blocking cards or “Maybe they don’t show up...” cards to pay for power cards). Treat Alien Horde as the highest 3 power card.
E. Play Alien Lurker and Alien Horde in the current battlefield only if necessary (see special rules below).
5. Lay down any row blocking, Alien Horde, and Alien Lurker cards, per the special rules below, on battlefields with total power of 0 or 1; otherwise use them as discards or card costs.
6. Hold “Maybe they don’t show up...” cards to be used as card costs or for defense.

When the Aliens are forced to discard use this order of importance:
1. Alien cards with power of 1 and 2 in ascending order
2. Alien Swarm cards, if there are more than one in hand
3. One-shot effect cards
4. Alien cards with power of 3, 4, and 5 in ascending order

Special rules for row blocking cards:
1. Play on current battlefield first (unless final space on the current battlefield location)
2. Play on subsequent battlefields, but no more than 3 Infestation cards in play at any given time, including past battlefields. Any extra cards are to be used as card costs or discards.
3. Includes the following cards:
• Acid for blood
• Inhuman Infestation
• Locked security door
• That’s it. Emergency venting.
• They cut the power

Special rules for Alien Horde and Alien Lurker cards:
1. Place in current battlefield if needed. If not needed then use rule #2.
2. If the Aliens have card space, place an Alien Horde or Alien Lurker card in the next future battlefield. No more than one Alien Lurker per battlefield.

Links to rules on Dropbox:
*Rules for Standard Verion
*Rules for CapAp Redesign
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is awesome - thanks for doing this!

I'm also using CapAps version so looking forward to the alternate version of these rules.

At first glance - seems complex enough that its almost (almost) like playing two handed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bravo, Jonathan!

Have some Galactic credits geekgold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bailey
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of points. Because I've been asked, and I figure if somebody asks they're probably not the only one wondering:

The difference between CapAp's redesign and all the others, besides aesthetics, is that Cap consolidated all of the cards that have the same effect under a single card name, and also renamed a number cards. That is why it necessitates its own set of rules. The two versions of the rules, just as the two versions of the game, are essentially identical accept for card names and terminology.
Personal Aside wrote:
I prefer Cap's version because, aside from being a little cleaner design-wise, IMO, it's also a little cleaner language-wise. Not making any judgments, the original is faithful to the source material and I love it for that, I've just got impressionable young minds in the house. I'd probably prefer the original card titles for playing with my buddies, somewhere away from kids, but I don't really want to have to make the following statement in earshot of my toddlers: "Okay, I'm starting with Die, motherfuckers!, and following up with Come on, you bastards! which allows me to also play Oh, you want some of this? Fuck you! on the current battlefield. I'll finish up with Let's get the fuck out of here! to advance the battlefield one turn, and finish my phase."

There is a link in the Printerstudio Sharing Project geeklist to an A:TTiW deck on printerstudio. This is a deck using CapAp's redesign.
Personal Aside wrote:
If you haven't used the links on this geeklist before, please read the instructions in the geeklist header for how to properly use the link to print your own copy of A:TTiW - and any of the other excellent decks that many users have shared there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bailey
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Added links to both versions of the rules on dropbox to the OP. Let me know if there are any issues with accessing them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Armitstead
United Kingdom
Gravesend
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darkwynd wrote:
Added links to both versions of the rules on dropbox to the OP. Let me know if there are any issues with accessing them.

I have downloaded from the CapAp link and it is perfect. Great job; I am so looking forward to playing this, I just need to finish the crafting. I know where everything is, though I cannot remember at what stage I left it.

I am so surprised a Publisher never produced this game, although I know
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
has had success with other creations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Aliens was re-themed into the good old west!

White Goblin Games, Pegasus Spiele, and Stronghold Games, all sold it as Revolver.

When the license expires, I've been thinking strongly about doing a stand-alone ALIENS expansion - that requires no deck-building.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sacha cauvin
France
rouen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You rock Mark!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I managed to try out this variant last night. I used the harder variant where the Alien player gets 1 additional card per battlefield. I did manage to win but only by the skin of my teeth (Ripley was the sole survivor).

Overall, I'm fairly impressed with the AI. Most of the time, the rules laid out do a pretty good job of making things hard for the marines - particularly when it has that additional card per battlefield advantage.

As you would expect, there are edge cases where the AI fails. Primarily, this seems to happen on the last turn of a particular battlefield. I had a situation where the Alien player had 4 cards and due to the AI rules, played one of his Alien Warriors even though it would make no difference to the battle. The next turn, the marines moved to a new battlefield and in effect, the Alien player wasted one of his Alien cards.

I have to admit, I was screaming at the AI "What are you doing!?!?!? Why would you do that!?!?!?" when that happened.

Going forward, I will probably switch between playing the game two handed and playing the solo variant.

@Raygun1966 & Darkwynd - Good job!
I don't suppose either of you are working on an AI for the marines? cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.